Craftable Items in the Add-On Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Browncoat Jayson, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I am just glad they finally added an add-on store item you CAN actually craft in game now. The alternative probably being they aren't craftable at all - cash only. Now how about some craftable hats?

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  2. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

The problem is when getting funds crosses the line of the majority of the Backers /future players.

Most items in the shop are only usable by the 1% that are House owners. Trees, Bricks, Dragon Statues, Piano's, Plants, Street Lamps, Radio etc: the list goes on and on. 1% of backers/ future players
    Housing deeds only available for about 1% of Backers/ future players
    Tons of Housing style's only available for about 1% of Backers/ future players
    Player owned Towns only available to a about 0.01 or less of Backers/ future players

There is certainly a theme running through the shop on who will get any benefit from purchasing the stuff.

If its going into an add on shop EVERY backer/ future player should be able to buy it and use it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm not sure I agree that *every* player should be able to use it. But I think there should be a lot more items in the add-on store that are available to all. Clothing, pets, cloaks, instruments, rings and necklaces, etc. Just make them unique so they don't jack up the in-game economy.

Lord Baldrith and Dorham Isycle like this.
  4. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

So sell a kid a piano then tell the parent he needs to stump up at least $85 to get them a row lot deed, so they can place it to get any use from it.

5. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

They wouldn't jack up the economy if everything purchased from the shop was bound to account.
    But all the rare speculators with multi prosperity pack, Land deeds, oracle heads etc: would never allow it because it could ruin a small minorities game.

Dean478 likes this.
  6. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Once we launch, nothing is bound to account. Everything can be traded freely, and nothing will ever permanently stay with the character except pledge titles and bank space.

7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

1% of backers have houses? Feels like a whole lot more

8. smack

smack Avatar

Yes, it's actually closer to 10% based on the last pledge update numbers from May. That does not include add-on store deed purchases.

9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

You are looking at this Alpha period with the Backers as the only players that are ever going to buy into this game after release, I agree with some of the changes that have happened you may be right.

That's the Problem this game is being funded to suit a minority of backers, with no thought of the effects on people that Portalarium will need to sell it to on release to stand any real chance of funding 4 more episodes.

Blind loyalty to every change we see from the developers by some in the forums do not help in the long term future of SotA.

10. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

How is funding now hurting the future?

Game is being funded to suit a minority of backers? This has me more than a little confused... aren't we the Backers funding the game? err where is the problem

11. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

This has been one of my concerns since early on where developers stop focusing on creating fun and adventure and just focus on selling stuff. A lot of the decorative stuff especially with POTs are missed opportunities for fun group crafting that should only be made in game, not purchased on addon store. Every time I see these given out to POT owners or sold in the add on it is just another knock down in the game's reputation.

As for the selling Elven houses that doesn't add to the stretch goal. You just gotta shake your head at that one.

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I couldn't disagree more, TEK.

One of the things people often forget is that when you run your own business, you have to make compromises based on the resources, time, and money that you have available to you. At the same time, you have to produce enough revenue to cover operating expenses. It's not easy. It's certainly a lot harder than say, writing a forum post.

I don't have any problem with what Portalarium is doing in the add-on store. If anything I feel like they waited too late to monetize the game on a week to week basis. I don't see anything that could be legitimately called "pay2win", other than the prosperity tools.

Having an open development collaboration like this must be extremely difficult for Portalarium - but I feel they're doing an excellent job. When you consider that you really never know where any of this feedback is coming from, it's really an amazing project. Consider that one moment you might be reading something on these forums posted by a literal brain surgeon, while likely the post may have been written by someone that has no business experience, never had formal or informal education, and would be hard pressed to explain deep concepts let alone the basic logic behind the requests or criticisms he was posting about.

At the end of the day, none of this matters though. We'll either have a good game or a bad game.

We still have a long way to go. But I'm betting on a good game, despite all the backseat driving on and off these forums.

Aldo and Greyfox like this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

Coal, Wax, Wood, Salt, i.e. the "base" ingredients...in the Add On Store in 3...2...

Why gather when you can buy it? :D

Dean478, Logain, wagram and 1 other person like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

The thing that amazes me the most about this thread is that I don't see a lot of people saying "Ya know what they should sell instead?"

monkeyrogue likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

I do crafting.

The idea that someone will pay for a finished product with cash increases the value of your crafted goods.

Take Rats' Nest for example. Some POT owners are selling their lots for cash outside of the game. What's that do to the in-game price of lots in POTs? It makes it go up.

I don't see the problem.

16. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I was about to say the exact same thing.. It really depends on how you look at it..both points are valid.. BUT IT WAS the same argument in the Star Citizen forums and in the End its the Users that requested it, time and time again :)

Lets face it, Sota/SC/ED needs/needed money ( All games do ) Us users like goodies and requested it , and now we are getting them.. We cannot have it both ways now ! :)

I like the goodies but also agree with the OP. I work 6-7 days a week, I do not always have time to wait and play hours on end to gain certain small stuff that I would like to have. So people like me get the opertunity to get the small items and goodies and inturn donate funds to the creation of the game inwhich everyone gets to play requardless of how must they put in..So Everyone WINS :) ( Or at least this is how I see it :) )

17. Browncoat Jayson

Replace the rough stone items with ornate stone (and bump up the price a bit, it's 110 pieces!), replace the craft able loot with an ornate wooden lute, and replace the piano with an ornate standing piano (or the baby grand). No overlap with crafting, and this thread would be done.

What do I want to see them sell instead? Starter packs. A blue flame torch, stout boots, rugged tunic and breeches, and a compass. Similar with different clothes. Randomize them (packs I thru IX), collect them all. Doublets, amulets, rings, and belts, nothing but appearance; again, randomized draw would add some purchase incentive. Tons more charity items; there are lots of worthy ones out there. A pet ferret. An extra coconut.

At a minimum, appearance only items. Robes for a duke. A Knights doublet. Pretty flower dresses. Beard-of-the-month. I don't care. Things that have zero effect on the game.

18. Browncoat Jayson

Lots are fixed and limited in quantity, and also very expensive. Crafting is only limited by the time and inclination of the player, and is cheap on the add-on store. Comparing apples and oranges.

19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The blue flame torch is a Welcome Quest exclusive currently.

20. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

If this was a perfect world then this might work.. but its not a perfect world and I seriously dought that they would get the same funds with your suggestions as they did or would with bigger gain items..
    I do not see any items in the addon store that are going to do any serious effect on others game play, ( I do not see any weapons or spells or armor in the store ) And I really do not see anything there that will be of serous game changing concesequenes either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.