Early Access Panel - Developers talk about experience with it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We can certainly look a new ways to post the information, but I would keep reading Starr's Quarterly updates and other posts that do exactly that. We place a lot of effort in keeping the community informed through this quarterly and release updates.

2. mercster

mercster Avatar

@Berek Here's the thing with the Quarterly Update and the Release Notes...

Notice how every single release, many (most?) of the items that were planned are crossed out, and other completely new things have taken their place in priority? I don't think anyone's complaining about that necessarily...this kind of game changes, priorities change, you guys are reacting to input...

But as we go along during the release, maybe more information on WHEN these kinds of changes are made, and the thought process that goes into all these items that don't get done, or items that are done that we weren't expecting. Maybe you guys don't have time for that. I dunno.

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I do.
    And most do.

And yet theres still non stop threads that spiral out of control due to lack of official answers to the vision of the game. Or the reasoning behind a change that doesnt get addressed till someone throws a fit.

I say this yet agian, i have high hopes for the game. I have a large group invested in this game. But something like a change of plans on implenting stuff like valos post can drasticly changes the idea of toughing out the beta/alpha/pre release releaee or w.e, and should be clearly posted.

I can rip apart all the old threads and find the core questions and repost and single it all out if thatll get some answers to the long term vision of the game. But theres a very clear reason why each and every thread a tually covering something important, goes exactly like this. And IMO that should be higher priority to prevent by having some real answers for the tough questions.

Vallo s is an excellent one.
    Anothrr thread just spiraled aswell that has good questions.
    1 good answer a day. Would mean the world to the players still here.

Kaisa, Grumpy and mercster like this.
  4. mercster

mercster Avatar

So hey, go make the post. He said he'd try to get a dev to respond to it. Oh and come back and link it here when you do, hmm? :) Thank you.

5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yup. Dunno if thats intentionally sassy but i most definitly will do that. And just for you, ill make a new post for every thread. On my way home now.
    Will start going through in next 20 min.

7. Berek

Please don't create new posts where there are existing... unless they are months or years out of date and clearly not applicable any longer.

8. mercster

mercster Avatar

9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

So you want 1 thread to cover every outstanding question that has spiraled these threads to turn into garbage lately?
    Okay. Lets try that.

Vagabond Sam likes this.
  10. Berek

Try using a dash of common sense and a mix of options... if you start posting 50 posts in a day on new topics, it might be considered spam. If you post one thread with so many topics no one can make heads or tails of it... it might be ignored.

Start slow, pace yourself and pick the most immediate topic you want to talk about, if there isn't a relevant thread already on it.

If you feel the forums isn't the right place then, feel free to email us a list of bullet-pointed/paragraphed/concise issues and we will look at them.

mercster likes this.
  11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

It seems when issues are brought up 1 by 1, they simply get ignored. And when they get bundled, its told to split them apart. When theres mixed feelings on it, it gets locked and left open.

Tell you what, since my common sense is lacking, ill leave it with Duke's nicely worded post that summarizes pretty much the main frustration for you to answer. I even re quoted him in green in my rant so you can ignore the rest easier. ( I realized that id rather be doing something else then even formatting it at this point )

Be careful though, its nothing that hasn't been asked for before.

Kaisa and Vagabond Sam like this.
  12. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

All true, and you know something else that doesn't get realised half as much as it should? The MMO gamer of 1997 was different to the MMO gamer of 2000 who was different to the MMO gamer of 2003 and so on.

Every few years in MMOs, the community's change a little. And when you roll back to the MMO gamer of 1997, they weren't just a gamer, they were an early Internet adopter as well and this is a MASSIVE part of the story.

I got online in 1993 myself, but in 1997 the Net was still the Wild West and the people who used it were largely different to the people who use it today. Nowdays the Internet is a must have commodity. Back then? Nope.

So not only was it how UO made us feel -- because how any game makes us feel is important in this equation, agreed 110% -- but also the kind of people playing it. That's not elitist, it's just fact when you look at the Net of that time.

Put another way, it was weird enough to be a PC gamer at that stage, let alone playing PC games on this odd thing called the Internet. Nothing like the, "everyone plays videogames, cosplays and goes to ComicCon" of today.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    LoneStranger and mercster like this.
  13. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yep, you're right. In 1990 I was a very bizarre young man...13 years old, locked in his bedroom with an Amiga 500 and Compuserve and GEnie. And still strange when UO hit. :) I really didn't want to turn this into one of those "Back in MY day..." posts (the inevitable stream of people describing their first computers will surely follow), but it's true.

Of course, most SotA fans are closer to that than not. I wonder what percentage of SotA backers are old weirdos, as compared to mass consumers of innernette...

LoneStranger likes this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The Average age of Gamers is 34.
    We are just fine.

15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

In 1990 I was 46 years old. Us geezers probably take the average up for you young farts.

Berek, Numa, Thwip and 3 others like this.
  16. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Oh now you've done it. I was 15 and by 1990 I'd graduated from the Amiga 500 and had an Amiga 2000...! Amazing machines. It was the final years before I went to IBM-compatible PCs and then the Internet in 1993 via my university.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.