"Elves as a playable race", how does it fit in New Britannia lore?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by AvatarGG, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Fair enough. It's just...elves...blah. I'll take ANY race over that. At least the elves in this game look more like mutant space aliens than the typical Tolkien elves. Just look at these ugly mothers.

[​IMG]

Khiara, puretapper and Caliya like this.
  2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

DarkStar said you'd get what you pay for but in the cases of the pony and pack-mule, the pony would never grow up into a rideable horse and the pack-horse would never be used as a mobile bank/container, you'll just end up with regular cosmetic pets like the ThanksGiving turkey.

I don't know how this will work with races, but everytime I ask about wheather this will become an option for everyone or is it behind the cash-shop wall only, nobody will answer and the conversation just keeps rolling. There are people (I'd assume) who study and know, but as of yet nobody has had the courtesy to even say they don't know or it hasn't been announced yet.

Bodhbh Dearg, puretapper and Caliya like this.
  3. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

The humans we're offered in this game aren't no beauty padgent winners either...given a choice I'd take the mutant space alien.

Bodhbh Dearg, Qunari, smack and 3 others like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

@licemeat,

That's not how the elves will look. The devs have said that those are the "evil elves" and that there will be "good elves" with a softer look, irises, and eyebrows.

Anyway, if your Avatar had to be you in every respect, you wouldn't be allowed to choose a different gender, or make it look totally different than you look in real life. If the presumption is your Avatar comes from Earth, then the following assumption has to be that your appearance changes when you go through the gate to Novia. Plus, now that some people will have multiple character slots, the assumption has to also be that although they might be you, they can be divergent from your personality. So your Avatar is a version of you.

5. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Personally, I would rather not see elves added as a playable race, especially pretty elves. But, it's happening so there isn't anything I can do but complain and nobody wants to hear it...not even me. I certainly wouldn't leave SoTA over it as I'm only 7% butthurt from the race option and am already slowly regenerating. I guess I'll just have to look at the positives. For one, a coffee table made out of elven rib cages.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

@licemeat,

Personally, I didn't want a player race besides humans. I think RG was pretty brave at the time when he decided to get rid of all the typical fantasy races for players, because I didn't think they added a whole lot. I also don't get the good elves looking good vs. bad elves looking bad thing, but I guess we'll see how that turns out.

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Well, it could make it easier to distinguish between the two in combat. But's who's to say that a player won't choose to play an attractive elf as a bad guy? Surprise :eek:

8. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

The only reason there are elves in the story is because Tracy Hickman is a one-trick pony regurgitating the same old fantasy tropes. What's that saying about putting lipstick on a pig?

Now the Devs are going to make a separate type of elf to cater to the "I want a pretty elf" crowd? Really?

How about this? I want to be a golden god. Is there a stretch goal for that?

9. rild

rild Avatar

Personally, playing a member of a tribe of outcast disfigured experimental soldier-freaks seems much more appealing than playing a watered down goody-two-shoes "player" version of the same.

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Man I wish they went with Orcs instead of elves. It would give the option for Bad vs. good instead of good vs. pretty boy lol.

11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

That's what I'm talking about.;)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

And still, nobody's saying if all backers will have access to racial options...it's as if the question is being intentionally avoided.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Except if that were the case I don't think you'd be let into the human cities :> I'm guessing there's going to be some conflict going on between the races in the game.

Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  14. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

That would depend heavily on what the interaction between humans and elves was in the years between the back story and the time of the return of the avatars.

15. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Whattaya mean, you want an answer? It's more fun to debate if they are or not, based on someone's faith in what RG will decide.

These forums are only for when the debate gets too intense, they delete posts doncha know. They don't answer questions! Get with the program. hehe

(heavy sarcasm for those who are taking me seriously)

Remember when many folks asked the question, will you sell gold in the store? I think that thread got locked and cleaned. Did we ever get an answer?

BillRoy and wagram like this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

There hasn't been a lot said about what happens between; even the "evil" elves in Pre-Alpha only exist so we can test combat, so we can't draw any real knowledge from that. The only "official" bit is from Arabella in the early Updates of the Avatar:
    from Update of the Avatar #45

17. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I can't find the thumbs down button for this post!!!:mad::mad::mad:

:p

Caliya and Ravenclaw [BEAR] like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

You can give a sarcastic thumbs up ;>

Caliya, Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  19. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Considering what we know about humans, what mostlikley happened is that humans took their land and either forced them to follow the human's religion and/or enslaved them.
    Throw in a healthy portion of betrayal, swindeling them and possibly genocide, then include adding on a massive influx of New Human "Adventurers" to further **** the land and it's recources and kill off massive amounts of wildlife and creatures (some even sentient, to a greater or lesser degree), to fule thier crafting and leisure persuits.

Not suprised that there may be opposition from a portion of the indigenous population.

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Humans are great, elves are abominations of nature.

Maxe and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.