1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I don't really see how that follows? The chance of winning the lottery is related to the number of tickets you buy. It's the same odds whether you have 100 accounts but 1 ticket each or have 1 account buy 100 tickets.

2. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

If you read the original quote I was responding to, the poster suggested that each account being restricted to a single lottery ticket purchase would avoid large guilds pooling resources to increase their chances. I just stated that there would be problems with that proposed solution as well.

3. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Just a friendly reminder that if you don't have a deed yet there is always the option of buying a bundle from the add on store with a tax free POT deed whenever you want to support the game a bit more :)

4. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Buying something for RL-money which can be ejected by another player at any time and without reason is a no-go. Sorry, that's no option for me.

Black Tortoise, strabo and Ice Queen like this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

That's like saying one would never want to be in a relationship because the break up could happen any time for no reason or not wanting to get a job because one could get fired for no reason at anytime, don't you think?

Same things with living with POT, there are ways to reduce these situations from happening and at the same time the are many other POTs that you can move to should the eviction were to happen.

6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Sorry, reading deficiency on my part.

If you are ejected you do not lose the thing you paid real life money for. Just move somewhere else, pick a place with a mayor you get on with better.

7. Last Trinsic Defender

Completely and totally uninteresting. Building up a spot, getting used to its geographical position and trade-routes and then - from one second to the next - seeking a new home? No way.

Black Tortoise and Ice Queen like this.
  8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

You're doing all this without once talking to the mayor of the town or anyone else who lives there?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  9. Last Trinsic Defender

Well - normally you don't pay your girlfried to get a sleeping place at her side ... well ... mostly not ;)
    In this case you pay real-money in a game but have no security - what's next? Buying an account and getting the answer: Sorry, we didn't find a suitable char for you. Please move on ...

The funny thing most of the guys who call out for POTs are ppl who placed their own private deed elsewhere and move in with a 2nd deed into a PRT or NPC-Town. In that case I don't care if I get ejected - I have still my own deed. But that's something the guys with much money tend to forget ...

Black Tortoise likes this.
  10. Last Trinsic Defender

Who said that? But I saw communities in SWG, DAoC or Neverwinter. Now and then quarrels break out about senseless things like "where have you been, we waited for you" and they end with troubles. In this case with a wordless eject. Don't take my word - just wait. It will happen.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

OK then, don't.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes, it will happen... And it will be held up as a shining example that the fear of living in a Player Owned Town was warranted all along, ignoring the likely thousands of other Avatars that are getting on quite well and happily living in them.

13. Last Trinsic Defender

Literally thousands? Nah .. you are kidding. Even if they go on and raffle every month hundreds of POT-deeds and "kick" therefore ppl into these towns, it will take some time till they are thousands ...
    It is a nice idea for a 2nd or 3rd lot to stay in a POT - but even the POT-owners have a 1st lot in a NPC-town :)

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@NRaas' POT Census has 1253 lots claimed in POTs right now. Though I said "Likely" which you twisted to "Literally" there are significantly more than a thousand Avatars living in POTs right now.

I'm a POT Owner and all of my lots are in my POT. I've not claimed, nor do I have plans to claim any lots anywhere else.

You're presenting your opinions as fact. Taking examples and presenting them as the norm without any substantiation of your claims... Just as will be done when someone gets evicted and it becomes a 'thing.'

15. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Just so there is no confusion here :

The claims in POTs are significantly skewed to "having multiple lots per a single player". There is one town for instance where 16 lots were claimed by a single individual.

I can see where Last Trinsic Defender is coming from here: There are probably only *hundreds* of POT dwellers in total.

However, that will certainly change as more "POT Only" deeds are released into the environment, as with the 600 in play during the raffle. :)

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Granted... Which is another advantage of POTs... Being able to arrange adjacent lots for those that wish to for whatever reason can only reasonably be done in a POT.

I've one resident who has his fishing lodge and his farm on adjacent lots... Another with a Tavern and a farm. Others who are contemplating acquiring additional lots for various purposes.

I still stand by my claim that there likely will be thousands of Avatars living happily in POTs... Will there be evictions? Of course... Will there be drama around evictions? Undoubtedly... Will they be commonplace and capricious? I don't believe so... Though without doubt the first one that happens either as a result of or that produces bad blood between the Governor and the Resident Will Be trotted out as justification for the fear of living in a POT regardless of the number of people living happily there.

Lord Baldrith, Kara Brae and NRaas like this.
  17. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I am really unsure why you feel someone is going to boot you out of a PoT for no reason, and don't feel it is fair to all town folks like myself to lump us together like that. I purchased the largest town available and had it delivered at R33. I have been slowly setting things up, they only two there are my brother and myself.

We got our spots right off the bat and here we are, but I have not advertised or asked anyone to move here. The reason why is I am in no rush. There are people charging rent from what I have heard in some PoT's. Some have restrictions on the housing you can use. There are some reasons I suppose why you can get booted from a PoT. But I doubt someone is randomly removing people on a whim,there are always two sides to every story.

@Last Trinsic Defender I hope you change your mind about PoT's and the folks who run them. :)

Lord Baldrith and Kara Brae like this.
  18. Last Trinsic Defender

Excuse me but I didn't say for no reason .. I said troubles will occur for sure. Let me come up with some examples I've watched lately to clarify: [ClashofLords2] Guilds with up to 50 ppl. Long time - guildies are kicked out for not appearing for 2-3 days. Quick and without warning. [Neverwinter Nights] ppl bought with RL-cash add-on for the guild-keep. After things were set they got booted for not joining the weekly guild-raid. [WoW] ppl had access to the guild-bank and some officer thought some took to many items and didn't come with an according exchange. Kicked.

Not my personal troubles. I'm only journalist and writing down the stories I see. Together with my wife we are playing 10-14 hours a day every game we get our hands on. If we are interested to get involved deeper we build our own guilds. But we are watching others intensly. And we see much. :) The kicking of guilds is nothing vicious, nothing special, nothing seldom happening - it's part of playing online-games. That is more or less not important if no RL-money is involved but the monthly fee or the amount of money you need to get access to a game. Every micropayment, ingame-sales or whatever appears nowaydays launches into troubles sooner or later.

@FredericK: Rent
    A good thing for ppl without a lot. But it should give both some security. How this could happen? Maybe so:
    A: I let you leave in my house for xxx gold. B: Nice. Here is the gold. A: OK - this will be sufficent for one month. B: Cool. And after that? A: Then we negotiate again or you give me xxx more and you can stay for half a year. If we can't agree you pay one more month for the same price and then you are gone from my property. B: OK. A: Portalarium - he has rented a lot for one month. I can't boot him for any reason till then. Porta: OK - confirmed. Boot-protection ON.

Basically the instances of POTs are a good thing. It gave ppl with much money a place to rule and Porta some money. The missing link is a common base of safety for renters to prohibit scams. Look at the forum - we have ppl running around and crying for miss-named bags. What do you think when the hundreds of POTs are populated and ppl like the mentioned are appearing? It will be an uproar. Why is nobody that wise to look into the future and come up with modifications to solve problems before they occur ...

19. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

I'm curious if being 'booted' from a POT resets your rent to zero if you happen to owe taxes.

Then you just settle back down on the same spot.

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Game imposed Taxes/Rent on Lots and what LTD are speaking of are two different things.

The Game imposed fees are just that... fees that must be paid to the Game on a Taxable Lot Deed to retain your claim on a lot. And no... I don't believe any pre-paid taxes are refunded if you're evicted, though I could be wrong on that point. ... I've neither been evicted nor evicted anyone ... I do know that you must pay any back-taxes you might owe before you're able to claim another lot.

What LTD is speaking of are rental fees charged by some Governors for the privilege of being able to claim a lot in their town that would be over and above the game imposed taxes on taxed deeds. Most of the Governors I'm familiar with are not doing this... They charge no fee above that imposed by the game, and if you happen to have a tax free deed, there is no ongoing charge at all. LTD would like Portalarium to codify rental agreements and enforce them in with in-game mechanics. This is a debate that has happened periodically over the course of the last few years since the advent of Player Owned Towns, and thus far Portalarium has declined to insert themselves into the transaction.

Personally, I do Not charge rent for the right to live in Dawn's Keep... If I were to do so, I would in my opinion and sense of fair play, have a fiduciary responsibility to live up to the terms of the contract and either wait until the end of said contract, or refund the pro-rated rental fee prior to eviction. I don't wish to have any such contract, stated or implied... In fact, just the opposite, and I'm Very clear about that fact. In the thread about my town, linked through my signature below, it defines the terms of the contract in no uncertain terms:
    And everyone understands this. I make sure that those that ask to be residents are well aware of the implications. Since Final Wipe, I've had many requests, and just reserved another lot this afternoon. For those that wish to inhabit Dawn's Keep, the above stipulation is known and yet they ask to be residents.

It is as I've said at some point during every similar debate that has cropped up over the course of the previous years: If you don't trust your landlord, don't live in their town.

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.