1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

First Quarter 2015 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Oh man...

Release 14 comes out on the same day as the Wii U's Metroid Prime Trilogy?!

(begins digging a hole)

(unearths a FOUNTAIN OF EXPLETIVES)

AndyCortez, licemeat and Montaigne like this.
  2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Avatar

With every update to they completely wipe everything?

3. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I believe R14 will have a complete wipe.

I don't think R15 or R16 will wipe everything-probably just skills.

Hacksaw, Duke Raas and Tahru like this.
  4. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

There is a chance every release there will be a full wipe.
    There has been no news yet (its WAY too early) whether or not R14 data will be wiped when moving to R15.
    Expect it, though.

Duke Raas likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Although I don't think a wipe is very likely to come so soon unless there is a serious need for it.

6. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I look forward to wipes. They help redoing the low level stuff, and check them again.

There's only one thing I loathe with wipes: asking the name again to all the NPCs. I'd love a slash command to instantly know them all, eventually available only for a week after the wipe. Ardoris is a big city, and I hate to see generic guard names reset every time! :eek:

7. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I read this games PVP is consensual. And u flag for PVP. am I wrong? cause I don't like open PVP unless it is consensual ;);).... Like when i want to explore without being gang banged.... or look for crafting materials etc.... Please say it is consensual PLEASE :(

Tahru, Noctiflora and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

First off, welcome the forums!

PvP is consensual. You agree to duel, or you flag yourself for PvP.

There are a few maps where it is open PvP on that map, but you are warned before going there. The Shardfall map is an example of this. The best crafting mats are on this map and people can fight over them. But if you have no desire to go there, you can just buy the mats from someone else.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Chatele and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You are right. Player automatically are protected from PvP. A player must explicitly ask for PvP.

There will be a few zones that will be PvP only zones though. A player owned town can be flagged for PvP by the owner of the town.

Also there are special locations that will be PvP zones that have certain resources that will be highly coveted. Although don't feel like you are missing out on content because you don't want to PvP, you do not need to go there. Although there is reward for taking such risks, but it is a gamble at best. These will likely be rather rough places even for PvPers, and only certain tough few might be able to successfully mine those places. They have one in the game right now (minus the resources at this time). Those will be very deadly places even if other players aren't around. They have man eating plants that can spit venom at you... nasty place. I'm level 50 and those plants still are a pain. The shardfall areas might be PvP zones but PvP is only half the concern there because you can get attacked by a guy and then attacked by a plant, or possibly use the plants strategically to help shield you from attackers.

EDIT: Like enderandrew said... if you don't like PvP you can certainly buy these resources. OR you can join a guild who has people who mine them and share it with the guild. I'm hoping that is what we can do.

Chatele likes this.
  10. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Absolutely consensual. You're not alone. There are many here who either don't care for pvp at all, or who just prefer to make their own decisions as to when or where they pvp.

A small correction to what Enderandrew said though, from what the devs have said about it so far, it's not the *best* crafting mats that will be in the pvp zones, but they will be *more abundant* there so they can fight over them, and some think that might even lure some non-pvps in there. They're calling it incentive. ;) Maybe it will. lol. *shrugs* I won't be one of them but to each his/her own.

Welcome to the forums.

11. misterrich

misterrich Avatar

Runes/Recall/Gate all need to be added to this game.

12. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

Welp. There went any hope I had of having money during this next release.

13. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

As long as it's not THE rarest crafting mats and just more in abundance I'm fine with that, but to just put the rarest mats in pvp zones wouldn't be right to force people into pvp that don't enjoy it, that's not consensual at all, that's forcing people to play the they want them to and giving them no other choice but to run in and die a lot and be griefed or pay high prices from pvp'ers that gather the rare mats.

Katrin Bekers [PAX] and Tahru like this.
  14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I hope that is not true, for it would totally be wrong, and they would loose a lot of non pvp players, me included... I like PVP'ing now and then, but when I chose to do so, makes the game a bit more fun;) .... Mats for crafting should never be in a pvp zone only... period..... It should be accessed by everyone, pvp'ers and non-pvp'ers .... no need to put them in pvp zones, peeps will go there to pvp no matter what, they don't need incentives to do so. IMO :rolleyes:

Tahru likes this.
  15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I like pvp but I don't think it's fun to go around ganking people that are just out trying to gather materials, and don't even want to pvp, that's just not fun pvp for me. What's the fun in whacking someone in the back as they run away, don't want to pvp, and me get a free kill off of them? There's no challenge or skill involved in that.

I'd much rather know I'm fighting people that want to pvp and I'm not griefing gatherers. Some adventurer just got off work in real life wanting to play the game and do some gathering so they can craft, and I just ruined their evening of fun playtime by griefing them all evening. Myself, I would avoid bothering people that were gathering, but there's nothing to stop others from griefing them all evening. Maybe I'm alone in that feeling, but I don't see that being fun for me or anyone on the receiving end of the fight that's just out gathering resources and doesn't even want to be in a pvp zone.

This video makes me wonder, because in one sentence Starr says the pvp zones will have a higher yield than other places, but in the next sentence says you'll have to venture into pvp zones if you want those rarer resources at the 27 minute mark. So which is it? Is it just a higher yield of resources in pvp zones or is it the rare resources will only be there and give higher yield, because if it's the rare resources will only be in pvp zones, That's the problem I have. Perhaps it's a mistake that he said rare in the second sentence, but this could be cleared up so there's no misunderstanding. Perhaps there's a newer video discussing the subject and I've missed it? If so, please point me to it. :)

27 minute mark

16. Rabbit

Rabbit Avatar

For those of us from the Ultima Online days, there was a lesson to be learned about PvP.

For a long time, "gankers", "griefers", call them what you will, boasted how they loved the
    challenge and excitement of PvP. They claimed the real fun was going up against other
    PvPers. But then the world split in two, with one-side being a No PvP Zone.

Guess what happened? Folks flooded to the non-PvP side. Now, had the griefers been
    honest, this would have been awesome for them since the only folks left in the PvP
    side of the world were other PvPers which meant everyone you met was a challenge,
    folks who wanted to be challenged.

That wasn't the case. The PvPers starting whining that they had noone left to kill;
    that the fun had completely left the game. So the truth is they weren't looking for
    a challenge, those people only had fun when taking fun away from someone else.

I don't want to see that system come back. Person A is paying to play the game
    just as Person B is; one person's fun should never come at the cost of someone
    else's. To put it another way, don't make Person B pay for the privilege of
    being Person A's whipping boy.

Cordelayne, Chatele, Leos and 3 others like this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That is an interesting argument but that isn't exactly how I remember it taking place. Since I was there and also a PvPer I found that the mass exodus was not just PvE players leaving Felucca, but ALL types of players were leaving felucca. Since MOST players spent much of their time in Tram, PvP was scarce because those that engaged in PvP only came back to felucca when they wanted some sport. That included me because my house was in Trammel.

This break up of the world caused all kinds of other problems too, that wasn't just PvP related:

Another issue was that since the majority of the population was now in this safe zone, that was the best place to do business. Who is going to go back to a barely populated area when all the people you want to sell to spends most of their time in Trammel? So vendors who once had thriving businesses lost their prime spots because people moved over to Trammel for the most part to do all business.

With landbased segregation came another problem... if you did go back to felucca the likely hood you are going to find badguys has now become more likely. Instead of the thousands of people who were there before, now it is just a few hundred or so... that increased the odds that if you went to fellucca you were going to run into a hungry PK.

Truth still remained that the majority of people actively involved in PvP were in guild wars, or in some type of order/chaos combat, or hunting PKs. The PKs couldn't leave fellucca and some were perminantly red. Then they finally allowed Order and Chaos to fight in Trammel (which was sorely needed because it became quite obvious that you could spend your whole life in Tram and not pvp but you can get a free chaos shield to help you PvE...) It was a fix to some degree, but having dual worlds for PvP and PvE really is a bad solution.

All of the above statements are true from my experience.

EDIT: I Think history is some what rewritten by the fact that many hard core PvPers will never admit now that they actually spent time in Tram. However PvPers did in fact go to tram to chop wood, and all kinds of stuff.

GUILD HOUSES MOVED:
    Also I left out that many guild houses were stationed in Tram almost immediately. One guild called the Dark Realm on Great Lakes moved from a small single room place into a Tower near Britain. I had close ties to them for a while, but lost contact. They grew rather large though, and were still active years after I quit.

Dewderonomy and Tahru like this.
  18. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

The answer is simple, allow guild alliances, guild wars, and order/chaos factions. Then PVP is completely optional and meaningful. Guild war worked very well in UO and should flourish here as well.

19. TantX

TantX Avatar

I had an identical experience. I got lucky with a small stone tower in Trammel the second time they allowed housing in Trammel, but vowed I would still stick to Felucca. Problem was, the only people you found in Felucca after a few weeks were PvPers. Okay, no big deal, that was my thing, PvP. A week or two after playing UO I was PvPing, more out of necessity than anything else. But that's what was cool about it; PvP was that survival element of UO, just another challenge. Either get good at it, or get good at avoiding it (friends who would fight for you, making friends/agreements with PKers, stealth and hiding to avoid detection, whatever).

And that, ultimately, is why I played in Trammel thereafter. Not because I wanted PvP alone, but I wanted the atmosphere. I wanted to run into people in the woods and not know what was going to happen next. I knew exactly what was going to happen next in Felucca: I was gonna' get into a fight. It became an over-extended battle arena with houses to hide in - no fun. Not to mention the disarm-thieves became 80% of the competition, and that no risk/all reward of the disarm thieves got tiring fast.

As an aside, Trammel was a griefer's heaven, especially early Trammel. On Catskills, I went to Wrong and would lure the two executioners from level 2 to the entrance. By the time people loaded up the dungeon, they were dead and looted by the exes. As a disarm/macer, I'd let the exes farm players for awhile until they turned to bones, whereupon I'd loot the players' corpses, disarm the exes' axes, kill them easily, and take whatever the exes looted as well. It was lucrative, easy and hilarious. Might've also been bannable, but I never got caught so wouldn't know. Either way, Felucca wasn't where griefing was worse; it was where you couldn't "get back" at griefers and exact your own player justice: Trammel.

Teterios and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  20. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Can we get an update on how the Unity 5 transition is going? By that I mean, when do you think we'll start testing a Unity 5 build?

Montaigne and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.