Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Immediate need to have Owner with Ability to BAN people from property

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Weins201, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

I must take part of the blame, i was handing out drinks at the event! you always blame the bartender for your actions!

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I don't think anyone here has asked to "block the world from a lot" - only specific people.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Agreed, but MMO's have done this and they suck.

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ok, since people missed it the first time I said it.

Blocking people from your property is already in the plans.
    However it is not like most if you assume. I'm not in the game now but could someone who is and have a house go /home and double click the lot sign, then click the Permissions button, take a screenshot and post here.

What you will see is at the top you can set three levels of Access to the property (with a not yet implemented disclaimer) and next to that a field where you can add people and set three levels of permissions.

The three levels of permission are
    Trustee
    Can decorate and give out permissions.
    Kindred
    Can decorate
    !Guest!
    In R13 this does nothing. But it says that if a certain access level is set for the property then only those with "Guest" permission and above will be allowed in.

So private property is already planned. BUT it's the other way around.
    If you have a 'PUBLIC' access level, then you can't block people. So not like the OP.
    Instead if you have 'RESTRICTED' access level, then people need "Guest" permissions to enter.
    While if you have "PRIVATE" then there are no guests.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@spoon. I just checked permissions on my row house in game. It has options to set it PUBLIC, PRIVATE, or RESTRICTED but they are grayed out to me right now, so maybe they just arent working yet.

edited........looked again and it says (access not yet implemented). (as shown in the post below) lol We will have it though;)

6. Odin BloodBayne

Odin BloodBayne Avatar

Here is my permission box...

[​IMG]

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There you go, thank you. restricted was the one I couldn't recall.

Yes they are indeed not implemented yet. In R13 'Guest' is a meaningless permission since you can't set the access level.
    They are planned for the advanced lot permissions update.

EDIT
    Bloodbayne posted a screenie where you can see exactly what is planned.
    Thank you too.

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

So, if I am reading this right, there will be a "Restricted" access level that blocks the world from a lot. I am very much opposed to this concept because it is a game and the lots only serve to alienate all players when used in this manor.

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Oh, just for clarification, I'm not an advocate for either system. I have my own set of ideas.
    I'm merely pointing out what is planned at this moment as is evident from the UI.

10. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I like these ideas. I would love to see lot permissions and violations implemented with fun game mechanics. Banishing someone to the clink might arguably not be fun though, depending on how it's done :)

It's sort of odd to think there might be a visually open lot with an invisible wall I can't walk through only to find out the lot is private or I'm banned. I'm curious if invisible walls is basically how it will be implemented. Anyone know if the dev team has said anything to this effect?

I would like to see something better than invisible walls. I think it would be cool if the implementation for being banned from a lot meant there were hired NPC guards that would warn you prior to entering, and attack you upon entering the lot. It would also be cool if keys and locked doors, and doors left open were a thing. This way players up to no good can have a little fun attacking guards, and attempting to run through open doors. On the flip side of the coin players in the house could attack them themselves, ban them, so guards attack, and close and lock the door. Perhaps some lot owners and lot friends will still find this way of dealing with riff raff annoying, but it certainly is more interesting than invisible walls :)

Sophi and Tahru like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Tahru. So what are you meaning when use the word 'alienate' in this case? Are you meaning that others wouldn't be able to view what you have done? Anyway it just looks like a choice of how you want it. I remember typing "I ban thee" a zillion times but I don't remember it irritating me either.;) So just checking since I didn't quite understand what would happen if used in this manner.:)

Filthy Peasant and Tahru like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So what are your ideas? just curious.:)

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't have a problem with banning individual people for whatever reason. I have a problem with having a single option to ban everyone. If the option exists, even the most well intended player will opt for it because it is less work than entering a player's name. By banning everyone, we end up with a world of invisible walls in which everyone is treated with the same courtesy as a troll. I had the feeling that we were going to be more community driven and would behave in accordance with community customs, not the edict of the game gods.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok Tahru I get what you are saying. I don't care myself if people come into my house, I don't think I decorate it just for myself anyway, who does?;) I agree with you, as long as the private means they just can't move things or steal things then please come on in.
    I do think I would rather vote for a different way to label our permissions in our homes.

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  15. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Well it might not be an invisible wall. How about a game with a sight stat says "STAY OUT!", a gate that those with the right permission can open and walk in. I really like the idea of noone entering my property without my permission.

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Like I mentioned in my first post in this topic, I'd rather have items and spells for things like this.
    That way it would make perfect sense from a lore point of view.

So a "silence" spell which remove your ability to post in the "local" chat, for a duration of time. But you could still use party, guild or whisper chats.
    (Yes purify should work, but then you just recast. )

Actual locks for your door. The yard is a publicly accessible place but your house shouldn't be. If the door is locked, it's locked.
    If you leave it unlocked it's unlocked.
    Maybe you want your hallway to be unlocked but your master bedroom be locked.

Magical Circle of protection for your house. Which gives you some magical abilities to be set. Like a banish of a named player.

One of those electric fences that Owl's ahead got.

Traps for PvP scenes. Yes you can enter but...

Guards and servant NPC.

Peace AOE spells that heals AND reduce damage by those in it.

Blessing of the oracle items (like the head decoration) forcing all who enter to temporarily remove any "open PvP flags" while in my lot , or if already in combat shields you from entering at all.

Magical lock house spell. Which closes all doors in the property and locks them. (Fizzles if someone is already in the house).

Silence spell bleachers, removing the ability to chat in local (but not guild, Party, or whispers) while on the bleachers.

Resurrection Ankh for ghosts as a craftable purchasable object.
    So that I can place my own respawn point on my location.

Etc. etc. (I could truly go on all dat with they ought to do.)

Make these things mean something, so that if I walk up to a player lot and is stopped by an invisible force, then that force has an in game explanation.
    Also add things like that which helps our local crafters from cheap dev knock offs.
    Also make both magic and tech mean something outside of combat in he game.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Morkul, lol ahhhh but sometimes I just want to see how someones place is decorated, I guess I could just ask though;)

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  18. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Well there must a place for secret societies, the old crazy man that are creating a human centipede in the basement and things like that... Then you can let everyone enter your property ;)

Filthy Peasant and majoria70 like this.
  19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It is a good question and sure there are plenty of compromises. We don't know what the devs will do. People have asked for a door lock. That is fine. But I hope the worst case experience will be walk up to the door -> knock on it -> no answer -> go away. Unfortunately, I suspect, there will be invisible walls or "pushes" on restricted lots and in order to visit someone you have to stand out in the street yelling and (after everyone in neighboring homes is annoyed) the owner comes out to the sign and adds you to the permissions (yuk).

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Correct, but the odds of someone being home is actually very small.

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.