info about pvp

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Isaiah, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3devious

3devious Avatar

But the important question to me is: Are you leaving us at MGT 470 to embrace Chaos or are you going to stay with us and do great things because you wanna?

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord likes this.
  2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

If Chaos is in your nature, branded upon your soul, is will seek to free itself, and you with it.
    And when it does, those of the Law will attempt to re-educate you. And failing that, they will turn their backs on you and shun you.

So stay in touch with a few chaos friends. ;)

*sent from my house using a broken GameBoy wired to a bent car antena tied to the side of a ferret cage.

Isaiah and Caska DiFumarate like this.
  3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Actually if you listen to RG talk about UO, I don't think he ever had intentions of creating the cutthroat world of UO. He seemed actually surprised how people played the game, and with foresight probably would have made the game differently. His statements were "amazed and horrified", so if anyone thought he was going to recreate UO PVP exactly as it was then they weren't paying very close attention.

That said I still hope everyone sticks around and keeps an open mind as PVP will be great in SOTA, and I believe cutthroat experiences will be had. You just have to remove the sheep from that equation.

jdrasin, redfish, Ned888 and 7 others like this.
  4. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

With that kind of game play they will gain some players but lose some in the other end of the spectrum. So it's all up to how RG wants his world to look like, which players he wants to attract. Remember that this is a fantasy playing with multiplayer support not a huge massive multiplayer game.

Silent Strider and NRaas like this.
  5. tiggis2006

tiggis2006 Avatar

BillRoy likes this.
  6. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

A great post by a great guy. +respect.

Caska DiFumarate, Isaiah and BillRoy like this.
  7. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

Agreed. They are trying to make this utopia world that works for everyone. Why? No one is happy. How will that bring in more money then creating a system that have several styles to suit multiple groups. Do two things...
    1.) Keep the co-op mode where people can team and play together.
    2.) Make an open PvP mode where people can PvP together.

What is the point of this foolish middle ground that is REALLY only making your game more of the same and NOT a spiritual successor. Wouldn't having several games in one make you more money AND make people happy?

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You do have an open PVP mode.

You also have an open non pvp mode.

This way one group isn't isolated from all other players. Not sure why that is a bad thing. Still waiting on a good answer.

Ned888 and Silent Strider like this.
  9. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

When I read these PvP threads, I honestly visualize a group of twelve-year-olds each arguing with a wall. It's like arguing about religion. Both sides keep saying the same thing over and over, without knowing or caring what the other side thinks.

There is no right answer to this. The completely open PvP advocates want completely open PvP, in the style of pre-Trammel UO, and as a UO vet I can understand why. I had five characters I played regularly in UO: a thief, a witch hunter (Magery + Swordsmanship), a mace fighter (robe and quarterstaff 100%), and two crafters. I loved PvP on the thief and the witch hunter because both were able to handle themselves in a fun way. Especially the thief. Stealing things was exciting and fun. Even though I was rarely able to nab anything of any special value, it was fun playing a kind of PvP that wasn't about fighting. If I stole something, Icould not defend myself, so thievery was a constant game of trying to nab things without the other person knowing or trying to pick people I didn't think could catch me anyway. It was a difficult game, but, in the vein of most modern difficult games, there wasn't much to lose if I died, so dying was ok.

My witch hunter was a different experience. That dude was all about fighting. In retrospect, that character took a lot of work that my thief didn't, and while the witch hunter could turn a greater material gain from his PvP activities, the thief was more fun because I didn't have to constantly deal with reagents, potions / bottles, weapons, etc. The fights, though, were always fast-paced and engaging, and I never took that character in to anything carrying something I couldn't afford to lose. So, when I played smart, even failing wasn't so bad. I never lost anything more than an exceptional halberd or katana and some reagents, and that character taught me by far the most about Britannia's geography. I could draw you a map of the entire game world between that character, my thief, and my miner, and I've got loads of good memories just from killing a red in the middle of nowhere, trying to figure out where I was.

My crafter, though. Heavens. That sucked. If I could buy ingots, that was fine, but it was rare to find other materials at reasonable prices. Blacksmithing became my primary trade because of this and because freaking katanas sold faster than anyone could make them. But I always had to buy my ingots because gathering was a complete waste of time, all the way up until I got a house north of Britain, where very few people even realized there were spaces to put houses. Even so, mining took so freaking long to mine the ore, drag it to a forge, smelt it, and get the ingots somewhere safe. Pre-house, whenever I would try to gather, someone would come along and kill me no matter where I was because I would always have to drag the freaking pile of ore allllll the way back to a forge in a town. It was awful. I have no idea how I survived being under 80 Blacksmithing. When I eventually got to a point where it was economical for me to buy ingots, I never left town on that character. Ever. For anything. I had no desire to leave town, either, because I knew if I did I would probably die and have to reorganize my inventory, which itself was kind of annoying.

Lastly, my mace fighter. Didn't stand a chance in most kinds of PvP, the exception being the idiots who thought they could PvP with just Fencing, a kryss, and some leather armor. Since Magery had abilities that basically nullified the capabilities of most other builds (*cough* paralyze), anyone who wanted to PvP was pigeon-holed into taking Magery, and I have this character specifically because I wanted a character without Magery. That was a fun dungeon-crawling character, except when reds would make their run of whatever dungeon I was in. Then it went like this:

An Mani
    An Ex Por
    Vas Ort Flam
    Corp Por

and, 50% of the time just for good measure,

Kal Vas Flam

And there was absolutely nothing at all I could do about it.

That, for me, was the problem with fully open PvP. It forced people to play in specific ways, just so they could be prepared for PvP encounters. I have yet to see a game that doesn't have that. There are always PvP builds in games that allow any kind of PvP, and while that's fine for the people who want to PvP, if I want to do something else, I'd like the option.

I also understand why many people don't like having their in-game activities interrupted with unexpected dying. It's annoying, and when people find ways to work around restrictions designed to prevent griefing, it becomes outright frustrating. I remember one specific time in UO where someone decided to take douchebaggery to an extreme by killing every single wandering healer around Wrong. The only way I was able to rez was by running to Compassion, which, by some stupid design decision, was in the middle of a desert filled with scorpions. If I made it through the desert, he just killed me again. Since at the time I didn't know the way to Vesper, I ended up walking alllllll the way back to Britain as a ghost. That is not one of my favorite memories.

Time Lord and Umbrae like this.
  10. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Im twice older. And I am not arguing with anyone. I am stating a superior opinion on a forum, riddled with people who have no respect for the spirit of true Online Roleplay and immersive fantasy gaming.

11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Your opinion isn't superior to anyone's. It's fine that you want to role play, but different people will play the game differently. That's fine, too. If you don't want someone else's play style to trounce all over yours, then you shouldn't be trouncing on others' with your own.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This is one of the reasons discussions on here go no where.

13. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

Why do all these people that keep saying they don't want to PvP care what the PvP system will be like? If you aren't going to ever flag for PvP (which many of the PvErs say constantly) why would you care if there is a form of looting? And having PvP based rewards that don't correlate to PvE is silly to me. A minor PvE advantage for taking risks and playing a skill based combat makes perfect sense to me.

14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Role Playing is different to different people. When you tell someone they are Role Playing wrong, it means you don't really understand what Role Playing actually is. Because with individuals, there are millions of Roles to play and no two people should even be doing it the same way.

But then this is a PVP thread, so I guess any Role Playing discussions are really off-topic. Playing a role may lead to PVP, but PVP is Player vs Player and when you are role playing there is no such thing as a player.

Caska DiFumarate and blaquerogue like this.
  15. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

As long as those risks are PvE.

PvP should never give PvE advantages. Ideally, PvE should also not give PvP advantages. Otherwise it will just force players into the other playstyle, regardless of whether they want to be engaged or not.

Edit: and this is why there are PvE players that keep looking at, and posting in, PvP threads. Because from time to time ideas to gimp PvE in order to force PvE players to take part in PvP keep popping up.

Time Lord, Curt and Ned888 like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I don't, and I don't.

I've Pointedly not expressed any opinion on what PvP should look like, even when asked specificly for my opinions on the subject.
    As I've oft repeated, my only requirement is that I be able to opt out.

I have, do, and will continue to oppose those that wish to cross that line and force those that don't wish to be involved into PvP. I shan't be silent on that topic.

Silent Strider and Time Lord like this.
  17. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

They are programming plenty of evil into the world. We don't need any more, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silent Strider likes this.
  18. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That's part of the issue. Some people don't want there to be a flagging system at all. They want there to be the possibility for anyone to attack anyone else (almost) anytime.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Discussions on here go nowhere because there is no need for a discussion.
    There are some people with the right idea of how online roleplaying should be handled in a mass multiplayer game.

And others who only care about being safe and happy in their online grinding casual little game.

It's like in real life. Some people like to travel, to discover, to risk. Others don't appreciate this way of life and prefer to stay home no matter what.

The latter try to argue that there are two legit points of view on how irl living/online role playing in a mmo fantasy game should be done, but there is but one. One way of thinking is legit and leads to the making of an epic, flawless game, like UO pre-tram was and SS13 is. The other leads to 99lvl vir...elfves with +100 +300 swords of pls lemme grind some more cause I donated for those blessed indesctructible unstealable kilts of pure white cloth.

In my world it is. And in the world of the people who made UO and SS13 it is. And in the worlds of many, many people who traveled, adventured, lived, died and became part of history and legends as their online characters.

You know. Pretending to be an online hero in a fictional world might seem like such a small and insignificant thing to some. But to those who really crave the adventure and the magic deep inside of them it's A LOT.
    Average Joe by day. A wicked sorcerer by night.
    Was my time spent here arguing with wow players spent in vain? Nah. Not a single moment of it was in vain. It was all worth it. Every second of it, every stroke on the keyboard done on these forums. All I can do to ensure that SotA could become an epic game instead of a grindfest for uninterested people, I will. It might not be much, but it's at least something.
    And sure as hell I've done way more than any of those casual-loving players out there who's longest posts are about how they don't want to get harrassed in a computer game.
    See the difference? I talk about making an epic adventure. You talk how you don't want to be bothered with getting harrassed in the game. It's like...a huge difference.

blaquerogue, rschultzy80 and BillRoy like this.
  20. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

O heavens. You're hopeless. God speed, horse. Mind the stick in death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.