Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Kill Stealing rewarded/encouraged?

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Smalls, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Well my point is not weither or not I should have done it. It is the fact that by doing so it completely screwed the guy out of xp and loot. So by this mechanic being allowed means I can follow you around and do it as much as I want to, as I am high enough big enough and bad enough to do so. There is nothing you can do about it. My friends will still like me as I have plenty, but you would hate me. So what that is just 1 guy and today I feel like "roleplaying a bad guy" So I ask you, wouldn't you want this addressed so it cant happen. Or would you just report me, and when I justfy it as roleplaying a bad guy rage quit? I want a thriving community one that is a lot bigger than it is now. We have great people here, and im sure we will have some not so great in the future. Just want all angles covered before t he not so great get here. Oh and btw if this isn't what you want to hear then move on or come find me in game mr tuff guy :p <--Roleplay for the day see how it works?

2. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

This needs to be fixed, it does promote kill stealing.

3. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Kill stealing? Of Mobs that spawn again in a few minutes? When you can chose to play alone anytime you want?

Where you guys see a problem, I see an opportunity. My PC came with a keyboard and I like using it, it costs me nothing to write:"hey, I was on that Bandit, thats not nice, mind grouping up and make it good by killing a dozen more?".
    Then I can still chose if my ignorelist or my friendslist is made for that guy...but you'd be surprised how fast you can make good friends with people by simple communication.

Dirk Hammerstrike and stratigos like this.
  4. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

We were already friends. Your missing the point of I can do it to you over and over and over again. Nothing you can do about it. You will never gain any xp unless your hermit yourself into FO or SPO mode. If that is what you have to do, why are you playing an MMO? I don't care if it is fixed or not honestly. But would hate to lose players because it isn't and some joe smoe keeps stealing their xp.

Chatele and Moonshadow like this.
  5. Julian Baskerville

- you can ask your bigger friends to come help you.
    - you can find another scene to have fun in.
    - you can speak to him, and invite him to your group.
    - you can /Play a tune until he is borred.
    - you can turn it around and follow him.
    - you can equip a dagger with fast attack speed and make sure you get the last blows.
    - you can log of multiplayer and continue the same scene alone, coming back later.

plenty I am missing....

EDIT: I am maybe not far enough into the development, maybe my oppinion is a bit easy. What you people descibe...is online harasment...not kill stealing. having someone making sure you have no fun, targeting you alone because he can...thats something completly different. I'm talking about average joe running by and giving your mob a hit. You talk about someone really harassing you...

stratigos and Fister Magee like this.
  6. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

You have a great mindset, problem is only maybe 3 out of 10 people would do any of those, they would just get furious and log off.

Moonshadow and Womby like this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

If the 7 of these 10 are the people (read: are these the type of gamers we are making this game for?) we should worry about, then we should try to change how loot works. If we are making this game for us.. then it is perhaps better to leave it alone for the long term.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    stratigos and Ludwig Drakenfels like this.
  8. Julian Baskerville

Thing is...at release...we have to survive the first two months imho.

Ultima fans and players are great and very loyal, the kind of players that usually dont need any mechanics to settle stuff for them. I, for my part, try not take any bad experiences from other games to the new one. Hope allways dies last.

The kind of players, the pesky one...have in 99% of all cases a very short attention span and get borred by their stuff pretty fast. Yes...it sucks to be pesked with when you just want to enjoy an evening of fun.

I think, the better way would be that we, as a community keep together and have a sort of code of conduct...and a few players with the knowhow and fun to enforce them that we can reach and ask for help. That way we would even get closer to UO...
    ...and maybe those enforcing players could get some special standing in our mids. I think we can turn this "problem" into a win/win...

stratigos likes this.
  9. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

If you are not in a party with the guy that hit the mob first. You should not be able to even hit the mob. You can't heal someone if they are not in your party so why should you be able to hit their mobs. Can't steal someones node they are harvesting so why can't it be fixed easy ?

Chatele and Fister Magee like this.
  10. Julian Baskerville

I think it can...but I'd simply allow other to heal everyone. What is more friendly then an unexpected heal when you need one? The nodes...I never had a dispute about a node, but we are talking 1 unite of random metal in the nod. Who would start a dispute for that anyway?

I think I'm pretty alone with my view on things...so...I'll leave you discussing this, what ever comes out, is fine with me. Your fun is as important as mine and who am I to tell someone what fun is.

stratigos likes this.
  11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

this needs to be addressed, still.

the fact that there are modes designed to segregate you, is not a fix for this. i have always been saying that there needs to be a system in place that brings people together, not forces them apart.

having a system that encourages asshattery like kill stealing is foolish for a developer to even think is acceptable, unless if the game itself is designed for exactly that purpose - and this game is not designed as such. if it were designed specifically with that in mind, i would not have funded a dime towards it.

if this is not fixed, and this is a grievous error in the devs judgement in my opinion, long-term the game will turn into a chat room where everyone gathers in a single zone, and only those masochists flagged pvp will ever venture out. in other words, it will wither until the chatters are bored, then die.

Chatele, Moonshadow, Womby and 2 others like this.
  12. agra

agra Avatar

Yep, and then they would go and play one of the 8-12 other MMO's where these problems have been fixed for over 10 years.

13. Womby

Womby Avatar

The reason I always go adventuring in SPO is (mostly) because of the problems that were discussed here.
    The following changes might tempt me (and some others) back to multiplayer.

1. let me heal anyone not flagged PVP whether or not they are in my party - this lets passing players rescue strangers who are near death
    2. distribute XP evenly to every individual who either directly inflicted damage to the target or is in a party that inflicted damage to the target - this allows healers, for example, to get their fair share, and allows passing players to help out if they want to, without stealing all the XP
    3. people who kill but don't harvest (rapid levellers) stick to SPO or FPO

Without the above changes it makes more sense for me to stick to SPO.

14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I agree 100% with Womby, besides my natural aversion to being social, those reasons are also why I am mostly in SPO.. no reason for me to go MMO until I wanna warp or party with others... not to mention the lessened lag when I'm in SPO :p

Chatele, Moonshadow and Womby like this.
  15. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

" claimed!"

[​IMG]

16. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

This is pretty backwards, really.

If you're going to ensure less grief based behavior and kill stealing, then lock the mob to first aggro by player or group as appropriate.

Telling people to GTFO to single player or friend mode isn't the answer for MMO play and this problem doesn't need a new wheel invention. There are solutions that have proven successful - they simply need to be applied here.

17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

So, your friends like you for your money? No, I don't hate you... If you did that to me, I might have some choice words for you and go to another scene, if you "stalked" me around the place, I would report you and I'm hopeful that with enough reporting of "Bad" behavior, that you would be banned for life, that would be my solution... The "excuse" of "I was role playing a bad guy" doesn't hold water, sorry, that's the oldest excuse in the book, but here's a serious solution... Use your common sense and don't assume everyone needs or wants your "help" and talk to them before you do something stupid...

18. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I think a world that says you cannot attack a monster because someone else is already attacking it is a less immersive one (sorry to use that loaded word).

I don't want to say to anyone to GTFO to single player or friend mode - but I would say that people jumping into your fights is something to be expected in an MMO. Fortunately it's more annoying than anything else, if someone kills the monster your attacking and sticks around to do it again you can yell at them or leave the scene (or re-enter in single-player online if they're following you around). Most games don't allow you to turn off the other players at will to have the scene to yourself, I kinda wish you couldn't actually. I'm familiar with some games, for example Runescape, where there were very good areas to harvest and if nobody was there you'd clean up - but because people might flock there you would end up competing and it would be more useful to go to a less productive area but no competition or even a deadlier area with pvp enabled (such as a shardfall?).

I remember the loot frenzy of clicking in D1/D2 and trying to loot mobs in MUD's. I don't love it actually - and perhaps you make the monsters only show their loot to the person who did the majority of the damage as an option? I don't know.

But I like player interaction - so any solution I would put in would be more along the lines of sharing xp to the people who did the damage not giving it all to the person who got the finishing blow.

I'd rather more of the reward go to the person that was fighting a monster, but I wouldn't hard-code behaviour with the inability to allow non-grouped players from interacting in a fight - it's not a duel between you and that bunny!

Wilfred likes this.
  19. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

2 thumbs down from me, any system that would allow a group of people to band together and get someone banned over lies is unacceptable to me, and yes, there are groups out there willing to band together to get someone they don't like removed from a game, i've seen it happen, heck, i've expeienced it .....

20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Why does everyone think SotA is an MMO first and formost? But, you're right, when players get "kill jumped" enough, they will play "friends only and single player" and the MMO portion will be a ghost town... With the exception of "events", I for one am waiting for "town sieges" to see if players ban together to save their town... I don't think "parties or kill stealing" would matter much, the experience would be cool...

Katrina Bekers and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.