Linux fans rejoice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coren

Coren Avatar

We shall prevail. Somday. Maybe. :)

Thank you all. As a Linux gamer, the fact that you had stated Linux to be available since the beginning was part of why I contributed to the level I have. I'm full of joy that you'll not have forgotten us during alpha.

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  2. Debcool

Debcool Avatar

Temptation, yeah! That's how our world spins :)

Why not? Sure you're right but we can do that with Debian too. Actually, Kano has already done a live version like that (steam included).
    This is a point of view, mine is just different. Modifying Debian doesn't bother me at all. Actually, It's a good exercice and it is also running exactly the way I want it to.
    Debian is my favorite, all the machines I've got here are running with it and Debian has given me all I need for years, that's all.
    I'll probably try others one day, just for fun ;-)

A+
    Debcool

Isaiah likes this.
  3. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I am a Gentoo Linux user myself, and to see one of the devs actually using it as well! Is simply fantastic. Especially knowing you already have the Linux version of SotA running on Gentoo. These are good times for Linux gaming, and it keeps getting better. :)

Kuno Brauer, tphilipp and Xhathis like this.
  4. Xhathis

Xhathis Avatar

Same here. Bright future for Linux gaming :)

tphilipp and Lord Ao Soliwilos like this.
  5. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Well.. I donated, download and installed, got to the login (Currently only open to developers) so could not go further. I then came back to the forums and read this thread and was even happier that I donated.

I am running Ubuntu and use programs like PlayOnLinux and CrossOver to launch the windows applications I actually still want to use (not many but I'm no Linux guru). The installer worked and then ran no problem in the Ubuntu environment. Now I hear that the SotA team is supporting Linux natively through the use of the unity system and I am even happier.

Great work, keep it up. Big smile on my face today. Thanks.

Time Lord and tphilipp like this.
  6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

7. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

By the looks of things, I think and hope we will have a Linux client to test in the upcoming second pre-alpha. :)

Ravenclaw likes this.
  8. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I have actually seen it running with my own two eyes (although the avatar was naked and you couldn't move the camera) but baby steps you know?

Fox Cunning, Kuno Brauer and Grayhawk like this.
  9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

It was kind of like Shroud: The Hangover

10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Hey guys! I had an excellent chat with Tassilo Philipp this evening and had a chance to leak a screen shot... as a heads up the skivvies are due to a bug in the system that has been addressed!

So without further delay:
    [​IMG]

Debcool, Ravenclaw, OSullivan and 4 others like this.
  11. tphilipp

tphilipp SotA Dev Moderator SOTA Developer

Gentoo rocks!
    Just need to point out, though, that Unity supports only Ubuntu, officially. However, I'm sure a Gentoo user will get it to work on Gentoo!

12. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Just give me the client and I'll make it work. :D

It is nice to see a Linux screenshot of SotA.. Aah, release 2.. Wherefore art thou nay in mine grasp..

13. zaphy taffy

zaphy taffy Avatar

Is multiplayer working on linux? Oh and mint is ubuntooeh enough so it should run there as well... I hope.

Isaiah likes this.
  14. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

As long as you're not using the LDME version, it should run fine on Mint.

Unity3D and Linux (mileage may differ by the time Release 2 is ready to test)

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  15. CCarpenter

CCarpenter Avatar

I hope it will run in Debian SID! Looking forward for a native Release 2 Client!

Debcool likes this.
  16. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

Woohoo! Slackware user reporting in. Nice thing is, when something is made to run on one flavour the others soon follow :).

Need to upgrade my Linux box, only dual core and needs some love, not sure I can do it this year though.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Mint is Ubuntu with a different desktop environment. Siriustar is right about the LMDE though. You would have to modify it and basically it defeats the purpose of using LMDE in the first place.

Ubuntu has made some questionable choices over the past few years. It isn't what it use to be. It may not keep it's popular position forever. It will be fine for gamers for the time being though. Also the new development this week about RedHat supporting and working with CentOS is interesting to me. At first I thought they were trying to hinder community involvement, but it seems like it's an attempt to get more community involvement and stimulate the emergence of more RPM based distros which in turn will get more people familiar with RHEL in the process. At any rate it will be good for progress... that's my bet.

CentOS is going to have more resources, and they will still offer a core OS for free that is byte for byte compatible with RHEL. So the CentOS core won't change except it will have faster updates. However the real cool part is they are going to have additional resources focused on creating variants of CentOS that seems to have potential, and possibly Linux gaming might have more options out there eventually because of this.

CentOS (RHEL) is similar to Debian stable because it's packages are too old for a desktop, and Fedora is bleeding edge, but Fedora doesn't have a long term release like Ubuntu... maybe we will see some new distributions appear that are based on CentOS that might give Ubuntu and it's clones a run for its money. In my opinion RedHat makes much better business decisions than Canonical. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

CentOS Variants

18. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I was reading that post and it made me wonder if they tried exporting the game to run in Google Chrome Native client which is OS independent. Because of how it works you can run regular games in it at full speed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

i don't think the issue is so much the SotA software not being able to run, but rather that you will need to update some of the libraries, and possibly upgrade to a newer kernel and install the video card manually etc etc before ever getting your system up and running. This defeats the purpose because Linux Mint is primarily set up so that less experienced users can have an easy to use but stable desktop running Linux right after install. They don't stress enough that the Debian Edition will actually require you to manually set it up, and unless you are skilled with Linux you may never get it to work the way you expect it to. LMDE is in no way to be confused with the standard Linux Mint edition that does everything for you.

The average Mint user really ought to stick with the long term release version of Linux Mint coming out in April that will be able to detect and automatically install the video driver modules with their driver tool. Unless they want to spend some time tweaking their own system (which is fun for Linux enthusiasts, but gamers might just want a quick lightweight alternative to Windows). If you're looking for a quick lightweight alternative to windows then Linux Mint is very simple to use. When you use that driver tool it basically tells you what card you have and gives you the option to select the stable driver, and that's it. Anybody moving from Windows to Linux could do that quite easily. The debian edition is significantly less bloated though, and will likely run faster.

20. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I wasn't really meaning anything about LMDE as much as just that you can run the game and on any OS regardless of any of that as long as it's compatible with Google Chrome's Native Client.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.