Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mages have to run around too much.

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

As i said before, it is fair to consider the latency challenges; however, this is not HearthStone. Plenty of MMO's have people moving around constantly, nearly all of them for that mater. It would be pretty disappointing if we all just stood around killing things. And mobs are going to come after you because that is what anyone would do if they have been hit. Stuns and roots are fine with diminishing returns.

Mages need work, but they are far from helpless. At some point it has to come down to the player knowing how to play their class effectively.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I haven't tried the combat stances, but maybe stances should be more integrated into combat rather than just be a glyph. In which case the combat stance causes us to move slower while giving us some kind of accuracy or bonus or focus recovery in addition to what they do now. This could restrict motion a bit cutting down the effect of lag.

If we could assign a default combat stance for our deck then when we are in attack mode we move at that pace, and the combat stance causes us to lock on our target so when we move backwards we stay facing our target. (Player losing some control like you said). if we attack or cast a spell when not in a proper stance we should have penalties.

I don't know what else. I'm just sharing thoughts. Maybe there could be a mage specific combat stance that is better for spell casting in some ways. This could also help differentiate between casters and swordsmen. When in the mage stance there might even be a minus to melee weapons, but a bonus given to spell casting efficiency. A spell caster could opt to use a swordsman's preferred stance instead if they wish too, but I was thinking of ways to differentiate a pure mage from an archer mage.

Regardless if a person runs while fighting shouldn't that take away from their attack skill? This might help some people flea combat, but swordsmen fight better in stances instead of while running. All the mastery of the weapon is in the stance. To keep our skills we need to side step slower and with precise foot movement.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

All players currently have one option, get the most DPS.

4. Drocis the Devious

The defensive stance gives a bonus to defense while reducing attack power for melee (but not impacting spell casting). That's the mage stance.

I really like this in R13, but it doesn't last very long. When you're in PVP, you really can't afford to cast that while someone is shooting death rays at you. It's all about DPS, so you really have to fire everything you have at someone before they fire it at you.

Speaking of which, if you're playing a pure mage (no melee skills) your HP will suffer a lot. You'll have perhaps 100-200 hp's less than a pure melee guy at higher levels. So glass cannon is a fair label.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

so you get HP when you pick mace skills or something?

6. Drocis the Devious

I'm trying to think of all the ways you get HP.

1. Strength (Melee: Tactics)
    2. Health (Melee: Tactics)
    3. Earth Magic Inate Spell that increases Strength as much as 10 points. It's 2nd or 3rd tier though so it's kind of pricey if you're not already taking earth magic.

Is that it? It seems like there were more.

The problem is if you start taking Strength and Health, you're not taking something else. And let's face it, it's a trade off that melee characters don't have to make. I doubt seriously that there are big tanky melee characters that are missing not taking intelligence. heh

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

thanks I was wondering if there was something critical I wasn't aware of. Oh what is dex for?

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

They all have to take intelligence for the focus. It is mandatory.

9. Drocis the Devious

THAT is a great question!

I'm also curious to know what exactly Attack Speed is. I would think that it would make the cool downs go faster so you could attack again, but even when I super charge attack speed with skills and spells and potions, I don't really see much difference there. So I think it's just making the auto attack go faster (but who knows?).

As for DEX, it increases ATTACK SKILL, but doesn't seem to impact movement rate. There must be something hidden going on that makes it more valuable. But you got me.

10. Drocis the Devious

I don't believe that's true. As someone that has played melee characters, I never ran out of focus, I had an INT of 10. Some may prefer to add some INT, but I'm guessing the majority ignore it.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

if you do not, you cannot get concentration and will be forever limited to 4 glyphs on the bar.

12. Drocis the Devious

OH! You're talking about people that lock their glyphs. Well ok sure, I can see that.

I never lock my glyphs. Seems like a complete waste of focus to me.

Which is the whole point. I don't think we need to balance the game to support people that lock their glyphs anymore than we already do. So it's kind of a moot point.

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

No, that is for the auto-deck

14. Drocis the Devious

Ok, so you're saying they don't lock their glyphs but they need massive amounts of focus to use melee? That's not been my experience at all.

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That a look at this video starting at 10:10 where the mad hermit explains it perfectly. Every player using the auto-deck is required to get concentration to have more than 4-5 glyphs. It is not really about focus, it is about discard speed. The default discard speed, discards too fast to populate the bar.

16. Drocis the Devious

We were talking about INT (intelligence) not focus.

What he's talking about in that video will cost 1 INT.

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This is true, as there is very little that can defend you against spells so far. Moon magic and armor enchantments, when they are added, im confident will help with that.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The current advantages i find in lockign glyphs is choosing which t lock. A situational or utility glyph is good to lock down to avoid cluttering your deck with skills that are usless in immediate combat, such as Sprint or Douse. Alternatively, it can be helpful, if you need to use douse mroe often, for example, to lock 1 douse glyph and add 2 to your deck, to minimize clutter and retain a greater chance for it to be off the cooldown when you really need it.

I like to be quick, so i usually lock 1 sprint glyph and add 1, or 2, to my deck. it doesnt get int he way of my cmbat and provides me an almst constant means of buffing

19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Let me spell out the connection here...

Not that is a a big deal or anything, but you were discussing how magic users should not have to take strength and how melee users don't have to take intelligence, and I just pointed out the fact that they do actually have to take intelligence.

20. Drocis the Devious

Tahru, thanks for explaining. You do realize that they have to take, at a minimum, ONE intelligence. Right?

If that's all you're saying, I stand corrected. You are absolutely right, in practice as they level they need to take 1 INT to really complete. I don't see that as being material though. Wouldn't you agree?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.