Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mages have to run around too much.

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Like i said, it is not a big deal. It was simply a little tiny poke because the conversation was really one sided as if magic users were the only ones having to take needless points. On a side not, I think most of the focus tree is a waste of points since everyone needs at least half of them to play.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree with you that the focus tree is a bit out of place. Even when I play a full melee character I still have to put some points in the focus tree.

I think Focus and Tactics could probably be combined and serve the same purpose.

Tahru likes this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Sorry for the thread hijack... I have a question you may know. I could have sworn there was a glyph for magic resistance, but for the life of me, i cannot find it. Have you seen it?

4. Drocis the Devious

Celestial Bleeding (Moon Magic)

It's not implemented yet.

5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

oh, thanks a bunch. BTW: I got my tail handed to me by a mage from OOV yesterday in a duel. I don't think I landed anything. Part of the reason was I did not realize it was a dual and started in non-combat mode, but I think I would have lost anyway. He hit so hard, it did not take long to take me out. I was level 27, so I am guessing he was probably much higher.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

that would be mr. Hatgnomes malus ^^ he is level 45, and yes is spells hit like a truck

Tahru likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

A mage doesn't have to take strength, or heavy lifter, but that is kind of useful.

Although say as a mage you want to increase your intelligence. After a while it starts costing 3 or 4 skill points to raise 1 single intelligence point. At what point is it more valuable to buy 5 strength points for 5 skill points instead of buying 1 intelligence point for 3 or 4?

8. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Also worth noticing that INT also increases the ATTACK SKILL.

9. Drocis the Devious

I don't know. In the current system you'd have to get input from someone level 50 or above. I frankly don't care. I think the current system is stupid and I won't play a mage if it looks similar to this at launch.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think it will change a bit but where it is at sort of tells an interesting tale about what they are thinking here.

By giving us the option to add more Int to have a larger mana pool and maybe some kind of spell bonus (although I have yet to notice any but it doesn't mean it isn't adding a percentage to damage which could be 4 or 5hp of extra damage).

Although if we find that we already have a good amount of focus then maybe adding 5 cheap str and dex for 1 skill point each might be a reasonable purchase to some later on but not everyone needs to do this to still have a good character. That means there might not be a "perfect" spec giving us the ability to have some uniqueness. 5 str points aren't much but it comes to personal choice.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Although getting some feedback from the devs as to their intent as they move forward will help us have a right perspective on how to give better feedback.

I see there is a cloth shirt and cloth pants that give us a few points of Int and a magic damage bonus of 0.2.

2 points of Int doesn't break the game. But what does 0.2 damage bonus do? Is it 0.2 points of damage per hitdie? Is it 20% damage bonus. 20% is significant since a hood, gloves, and cloak doing that too would add up to 1.0 or 100% extra damage.

Is this the direction? It would be nice to know. I personally don't like item based games, but as long as there aren't endless tiers of increasing power I personally won't have a fit. Some might but if that is tje direction then we need to know because some of us have been calling for increased magic damage because spells just aren't that potent.

Regardless of our stance about gear in games it does provide an extra layer of configuration. So that a person interested in being a mage archer might look for different bonuses than the pure mage. So if this is the plan then it would help to know it so we can know how to properly complain.

Edit: ... Or properly give praise. I forgot that. ;)

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

1 strength includes 2 health and 1 attack skill

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

intelligence only adds bonus damage for every multiple of 10 points reached. If you have 38 Intelligence your recievign no mroe of a bonus than someoen with 30 intelligence. And if you dont need the focus, its more benificial o put the skill poitns spent on those last 8 poitns to use somewhere else until you can reach 40.

There is also equipment in game that raises intelligence by 2 (armor and bows. Maybe staves, havent tried yet), as well as equipment that raises magic damage directly.
    Bonus int gear also allows the opportunity to free up skill points from intelligence to put tward soemthing else.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

0.3, 0.3, and 0.2 armor worn all together had increased ice arrow damage by 3-4 points on average across 20 casts. The same bonus 10 intelligence gives.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Is attack skill useful for a mage? It might be.

Also some mages might rarely need health because they like to adventure in parties in PvE and they want more focus and damage/heals... While others need that str. Or maybe damage avoidance is more valuable to mages than health?

Who really knows at this point. I'm wondering if the devs haven't discussed these scores yet because they might not have them settled in their own minds. Although it would be nice to know what they currently mean.

One thing is for sure a speed value of 5.84 or whatever doesn't mean much to me. I don't know what these numbers mean. In fact what is the value of 10 in Str? Is that normal or weak? Does that mean he can military press 100 lbs? We don't really know what all these values mean yet?

Tahru likes this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Intelligence includes 1 attack skill and 1 focus

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Agility only includes 1 attack skill. Sry so many posts, I am on a phone atm

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Really? Then we really need some feedback from the devs because those are strange numbers. They may as well could have used letters instead of numbers to indicate value. For example two F items equal a T value. Two A items equal an H value etc.

Tahru likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Hey by the way did you play UO on the great lakes shard back in the day. There was a guy named Emperor Armond who had alts with Emp in his name.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

nOPE, IVE ALWAYS BEEN EITHER empSTRIKE OR aRKAH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.