Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mages have to run around too much.

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

To be honest haven't I been playing magic based character yet, will get there though but magic system is in a limbo right now so I wait some. But I if this is true: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/magic-shields.20808/#post-312441
    If it is, then is there really a problem with mages being to0 weak?

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

In a combat system based entirely on DPS, spells and skills that do damage AND heal (like death magic) are easily going to be the most powerful in the game. As someone reaches level 30 and above, they can get more starting hit points. So now it's just a matter of replacing those hit points faster than your opponent can. If you're a melee character you need to cast another spell Healing Ray to get back your hit points while the "mage" is only casting one spell Death Fist (or whatever it's called) that does both.

So this is what happens in a combat system like this. The moment you make one side more powerful, the other side HAS TO BE WEAKER. I've been saying this for months.

The rest of magic doesn't translate like that because the other spells don't also heal you at the same time they are damaging your opponent. But the same rules apply. If we make mages more powerful, it effectively makes melee characters less powerful. That's why this system is stupid at it's core.

Thankfully, I believe the devs know this and will eventually create more counters (like douse) to change the game. What melee characters need is a way to resist and counter death magic (as well as everything else in the game).

3. A Ghost

A Ghost Avatar

I tried magic in R13 and found much the same thing described here, admittedly in the lvl 20-30 range. I shrugged and figured "alpha" and switched back to melee for the time being.

One thing that I did notice: The Deck System seems to be utilizing the exact same universal cooldown for most glyphs that we became used to in other MMOs. I personally believe that this is part of the problem with mages and it should be reexamined. The universal cooldown in UO was almost non-existent, and it seemed it was there more to level the impact of lag than anything else.

Root wouldn't be a non-option, if it had a faster cooldown before the next spell. Alternatively, the Devs could make some of the spells have no impact on cooldown at all, as they did with Off-Hand Attack. (OHA's non impact on cooldown is why I'm playing melee, ATM.) Maybe Mages could spec for improved cooldown? My $.02.

4. Drocis the Devious

I think root should work like this....

A mage uses root to stop a melee based opponent from reaching them. This gives the mage enough time to keep range and fire the next spell. (keep in mind there should be a counter the melee character can use to unroot - like jumping or smelling salts or perhaps a tactical skill). When the melee character breaks out of root, the mage will have to root him again and move to a better range OR stand still and get the bonus and hope to do enough damage on the next two spells that are cast.

Right now root doesn't last long enough to do any of that and there are not enough counters to be able to break out of it if it did last longer.

5. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I would like to have seen Unarmed Combat get it's own tier, but i think it's too late to add those kind of features. Idk.
    Remember disarm in uo being directly related to how much unarmed combat skill you had? :)

6. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Agreed, if you ever want tactical combat we should be able use all stances and switch when needed. I do not like putting all of them in my deck. I'd like to see a separate system for them. It really has potential.

Say i am guarding a caravan and expecting a ambush. I would change my stance to defensive. It would be different is i was planning to ambush someone, i would want to do as much damage as possible as fast as possible. So a stance that raises attack speed would be great for that.

7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't think standing still is good game play unless you are in a PVE group. Forget about the stillness bonus.

8. Drocis the Devious

We could really have some epic sword fights if stances countered certain types of attacks.

Athanil likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

It's also needed on a technical level to reduce the impact of lag for pvp...as well as general server traffic that also results in lag for people just trying to talk to a vendor or walk around a town.

The more movement, the more strain on the servers.

Tahru likes this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

good counter point

11. Drocis the Devious

I'd be all for fast combat where everyone ran around all the time. But the unfortunate reality is that the internet doesn't allow for that in a competitive sense. The client machine (your computer) can fake the funk on what's going on. But what is often happening is that the other player is seeing something very different from their point of view (their computer is also painting a lie). Somewhere inbetween is the "truth" but that may not impact the result of who wins or who loses a battle in pvp.

So the less movement the more competitive the pvp - on the whole.

@Tahru - I wrote this for everyone's benefit, not just you.

Athanil and Tahru like this.
  12. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

That or i can use it to get away from a sword wielding maniac ;)

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

After playing this quite a bit since last Thursday I am feel much less stressed than I did in the past two releases where stacking was such a big deal.

Now that stacking isn't the only way to get the full strength out of a spell I feel a whole lot less stressed. I still picked up mind lock after I hit level 40 but I'm not constantly stacking and locking my skills. I only lock them when i think it is useful.

Also adding that additional slot has helped significantly. Amazing how moving from 9 slots to 10 can make such a difference. I have a little more variety in my deck this time and I still feel like I'm getting all the skills I want when I need them. When I do stack it isn't at a frantic pace so it isn't bothering me this time around. I guess it is not a bad thing to make small changes each release. I had such a bad experience before and now I'm feeling quite comfortable.

However the reagent thing is still a concern of mine. I make lots of money from gems, but I know that won't last. If I wasn't able to get rich quick I might have a problem parting with my reagents to throw that mighty fireball.

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

i added slots, but my glyphs don't use them all. i cannot remember how I got them to use all the slots before. Can anyone provide info on this?

15. Drocis the Devious

In the absence of an economy (at all), I'm not the least bit worried about the cost of reagents.

You have to remember that there's really no market to sell things in R14. So everyone relies on NPC Vendors (which will be the HIGHEST priced items in the game at launch). Once we get more crafting into the game, more permanence, and especially once we get player owned vendors...you won't care too much about the 20 gold per reagent.

In fact, I predict that reagents will either cost more than they currently do at launch, or spells will require more of them. If you think about it, the idea that summoning a Demon (for example) only costs a few more reagents than casting a fireball - that's just not right.

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Also I've played around with the air magic and I didn't feel quite like it was up to par with fire yet. I'll try it again but it just didn't seem like I had the stopping power.

I've been sticking with Fire and death magic to sustain me. when I was leveled high enough I added some life magic so I can heal my friends if I travel with them. As a pure mage though Fire and death go hand in hand, and I can't seem to find any other combination that meets my needs yet. I haven't played much with summoned creatures but I suppose I can try that. It usually isn't my thing anyway.

I know that each school has its summoned pet, but I've always been the type of mage that doesn't want to have a pet. It isn't because of how much damage those pets do. I just feel more complete as a magic user without one, but that is my preference. I don't see all mages having to be conjurers to be a powerful mage.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

When you hit the Y button, and modify your deck, make sure you select how many slots you want to use.

Tahru likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Much like Blades is has the best Melee DPS by design...so too will fire have the best magic DPS. That's why I think you're seeing that.

We'll have to wait and see how the devs plan to balance this.

Isaiah likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

also if you are at a lower level you might not need all those slots yet. spend your skill points on other skills and get a broader toolbar as your deck size matures.

foobard and Tahru like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Some questions I still have,

- If you have a root going, and cast root for a second time, does it extend the time of the first root?
    - If you stack a root spell, does it strengthen the effects of the root and make it more difficult to escape?
    - If you invest in innate Earth school spells, does it lengthen the time of the root?

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.