1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Making of the Daemon...

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Qball, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Chaos may not be inherently evil, but nothing says it can't be evil. The creature IS called a Chaos "Demon" so looking like what we might expect from a Demon isn't such a bad thing. I never really DnD'd but Chaotic (in my mind) doesn't imply anything about more eyes or that the character must be non-symmetrical or anything at all about appearance.

One can be Chaotic Good, or Chaotic Evil or Chaotic anything in-between.

This happens to be a Demon and so we can expect it to be suitably Demon-like. If they have some Chaos Elves or Chaos Lizards or Chaos Bumblebees I would expect them to look somewhat like their namesakes. Which a Chaotic Nature or power perhaps.

Time Lord, Moiseyev Trueden and smack like this.
  2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I kind of figured tail length would be due to tech-limitations.. However, I do feel, if something bothers to have a tail, it should serve a purpose! So Daemons, Emps/Imps, Dragons, Corpions and yes, even Kobolds need to be seriously looked at for more dynamic tail-tech considerations.. Some of these it should act as a 3rd/5th arm.. some of them it should act as a club-type weapon in combat, and others it should perhaps work like a spear/fencing epee..

Time Lord, Moiseyev Trueden and smack like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I explained my view on the "demon issue" in the thread in General discussion,
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/demon.41637/#post-464135

"
    Demons were always called "daemons" in the Ultima games, the spelling adopted from Greek mythology, where they weren't necessarily evil. The Christian use evolved from the Greek use.

Personally, I like the "daemon" spelling better, but what can you do.

One consistent element of lore about demons from pagan to Christian use was that they were out of control of human powers. So sorcerers, who would solicit demons would give over some of their allegiance to them. Its why demons became associated with evil, and why they fit the chaos tree.
    "

I still would say I like the "daemon" spelling better. If I recall correctly, RG originally named them "demons" in Ultima, but changed them to "daemons" because of complaints. Its not so much the complaints I'm worry about... I think it just the more archaic spelling better introduces people to the context. So, lets say someone asks, 'what's a daemon'? They look it up and see the complicated history behind demons in real world lore.

Plus, the archaic spelling always feels nice in a world with runic language and all sorts of other things like that.

I mentioned in that thread also that the Ultima game has also had angels -- the guardians which stood in front of the shrine to the Codex, and which appeared to the Avatar in death in U5. I'd like to see these "angels"/guardians to make some sort of reappearance in SotA, to kind of square the circle. It would also have to be handled carefully of course.

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I've been told that Richard is being careful to avoid any connection to religion in this game.

Time Lord and stratigos like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Lol, any explicit connection, although its clear to me that a lot of elements in Ultima have always paralleled religion.

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Yes, but it was enough to remove the word hell from a previous update/newsletter.

7. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Update: Thanks for the reminder on the spelling. We are putting the "a" back in Daemon.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Awesome!

9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Most animals with tails don't use them as weapons - they're often used as counter-balance and could even be vestigial.

10. matpsch

matpsch Developer Emeritus

Here are a few of the attacks we are working on for the Daemon.

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

ooooh it has a polearm dash!

12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

sweet! like the aoe pushback at the end too!

random ideas:
    i'd think some sort of cone-shaped pushback too, using wings, would be neat to see. or having it jump up and root people with his wings (pushing down with wind), while it throws the polearm into the ground creating an earthquake AOE.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

We need the same charging dash for wild boars ;)

14. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

When can I buy the flying dragon on the right as a pet. He would my special guard dog. Of course, it would be nice if he also belched flames above peoples heads once in a while at night. People love a light show even it is hard on their graphics cards. But I think it will be okay because we have spread ourselves out on the map. Maybe you should offer it as a free pet for Barons and above. They don't seem to have very many special things anymore.

The dragon could start out young and we would have to feed it until it grew bigger. Like a puppy or kitten.

15. Qball

Qball Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hey all,
    Happy New year!
    Quick update: Here is a final(ish) model paint over of the demon....

[​IMG]
    So just to be clear what this is a roughed in Photoshop texture concept for what I am working on next. I have added in the asymmetry and some worthy dressings.
    Making this a reality is the rest of my week... and weekend. :) Matpsch and I will send you renders as it gets in

Hope to see you all at the Party/Telethon!

Qball

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Oh hell yes.

17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

is that a chaos demon? if i follow chaos will it be my *****, until it decides to bathe in my entrails or gift me with a unicorn?

@Qball - where the bellybutton area is, that grey stone - is that a vulnerable point of power? *evil grin*

Time Lord and Ice Queen like this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

Awesome! Does the demon actually give off light and glow wherever there is that fire from within? Head, chest, arms, claws, wings, etc.

19. Acred

Acred Avatar

It looks like it is very happy to see me. That mesmerizing stare makes me think I am already its dinner.

It is really stunning, Qball. Thanks for the pictures!

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  20. Qball

Qball Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks guys for all the compliments!
    Quick answers:
    Its actually a horn...lol Here's another view:
    [​IMG]

Yes the demon's glowing area, will have emission. Though I doubt it will be strong enough to light much of the environment. Have no fear though, that type of lighting will come from Particle systems added to him.

Thanks again,

Qball

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.