My thoughts on Gems throughout the years

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Time Lord, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Sir, melchiormeijer,

I hope that I'm not intruding here with this inserted post, yet something came to my mind when I saw the first Microscope of your creative art;

It reminded me of a device one used by few medieval alchemists astrologers who's works included the art of manufacturing gems into talismans that would be worn or placed in objects to enhance their quality. Walcher of Malvern was one such man, yet there were a few others that dealt in such things by use of a device (which I can't even find a pic on the net of :()... that looked very much like your Microscope;
    The idea behind the devises was to place a gem within the focal point and them track a specific planetary body through a day or even longer, thus (the idea being) to infuse the quality of the tract orbital body (Planet/Moon/Star) into the gem by the device's captured light.

I would enjoy seeing such a device ingame at some point, thus the inquire and comment to your artwork...
    Please forgive me if this is an intruding observation... "Love Your Work"... :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Alchemic Drawings by Sir Isaac Newton:rolleyes:

Let's take a look at crafting, since most items are supposed to be made by players.

1st, refine raw materials (ore to ingots)
    2nd turn materials into items used for crafting (ingots to plates or blades)
    3rd using items to craft items (blades to swords, plates to armor)
    4th there will be a success check here, (damaged item, normal quality, superior quality)
    5th repair item if it was created damaged (optional)
    6th enhance item (optional, enhancing items make them higher quality)
    7th Alchemists can then further enchant items. (optional)

So Items will be created with properties, at what point will PVP specific properties come into play? During Item creation or during enchantment?

"Enchantments: Requires one scroll with the spell needed. Each charge requires the same reagents as casting the spell. Each item can only hold one spell at a time. Number of charges each item can hold based on quality and size of item.

• Wands & Staves
      • Weapons
      • Armor
    "

So from the description of enchantment It sounds like it simply adds charges of spells that players have. Will there be PVP specific spells you can add charges to? maybe that is their plan.
    Lord Mishri points to a proses and any proses is a good proses if that proses involves deeper interaction with the game to have any enhancement made.

I very much dislike any proses that fixes any weapon back to it's original effectiveness. When you take a chunk out of a sward in striking it against another, it can never be the same as new ever again.

Now I'll let loose my wacky ideas of enhancements that are closer to the truth of real history than any may realize o_O
    I would like to see enhancements done be astrological alignments possibly using a modified Darkstarr Moondial for the enhancement of gems. These gems could also need recharging by the same proses as they were first enchanted with. Then the gem or gems, could be placed in the hilt or wherever on any weapon. But they could also be removed by the blacksmith for recharging by the alchemist using again something that focused the light of one of our orbiting Moons, or when a special alignment happened, the gem being enhanced could have more properties.
    Isaac Newton was a strange fellow, and we can be too ;)!

:oops:~Jewelry, Gems and Gold Market Value~ (what they could do in the future?)
    I just hope they can retain a value when unused as a skill enhancer. I can see when a gam is used on a sward or has some magical property that it could loose it's value and suffer decay. But in jewelry that has no magical skill value, I'd like to see these gams be not only reusable into more elaborate jewelry, but also could enter the magical market to be re-used into magical things. But that those magical things do suffer heavily from decay, but also have great combat value while they last.

Gems in Magic should = Great Decay and = great power...
    Gems in non-magical jewelry, should be the same as a walking bank account because they then would retain their future value, if crafted/recycled back into a weapon or magical jewelry... which would then suffer from decay.

:rolleyes: In this way, a Player or Warlord could retain their Gems, which could at any time be re-fashioned into powerful weapons and magic, becoming depleted during a war, hunting or more power through a questing action.

Gems should = Power until their power is used for their magic o_O
    Not exactly what you were talking about but... :)
    BTW, our economy is next...
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes:~Gems Should Be Gems!~
    "I strongly believe this!" @Favonius Cornelius !

I am a Gem Collector as a hobby in real life and "they all have real value" o_O Gold in Jewelry should also retain it's value.

:eek:~Real Life Asia~:oops:
    Here in Thailand, there is a "very active" local gold trade in the form of collecting it in jewelry...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes: There's one or more gold stores in every city in Thailand and they are always quite busy, because the Thai people save, invest and trade gold as real money or family wealth.
    The Gem markets here in Thailand are also an active place, though skill in identifying their value is needed to participate as a meaningful investment. Here in Asia, "if you are rich and educated, then your interests jump from Gold to Gems as an investment". Just as in Gold, there are Gem Shops everywhere buying and selling Gems, even in the smallest of cities ...
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes:~Marketing Fun is Where You Make It~
    Our game could have such fun within it's economy, all it takes is having decay effect those gems and gold used in magical weapons and magical jewelry and also have them non-recyclable. Other forms of jewelry or non-magical ornate weapons, could retain their gold and gem value because the magic contained within those gems has not been expended or used in any magical way or use. They could gain in NPC market and magical value the longer they are kept in non-magical jewelry and weapons, developing an affinity for that same quality they are made into. There are many easy possibilities o_O

:eek:~Gold & Gem Sumps~:confused:
    Within any online economy there is always a need for gold sumps that insure there's not too much gold in the world, thus gems, in the way described above, would also have their own value sump by way of magical use decay. Such things are necessary to insure that gem & gold prices retain a value... or else gold gets cheap as dirt and gems become just another recyclable magic reg o_O which would have no retained value, only retained use. Retaining usage of Gems without such a decay system for their magical properties just fills the world with them without any exit... thus driving down any retained value of them.

:)~Fashioned Jewelry More Valuable than Gold & Gems~:D
    When Gold and Gems are bought and sold here in Asia, it's most likely form is in some form of fashioned jewelry, and carries a higher value because of it's craftsmanship.

:rolleyes:~Non-Magical Jewelry Investments and How This Could Fit into Our Game~:oops:
    I have seen no post anywhere by any of our game creators that mentions "investment of valuables for the purposes of future increased value"... unless it's in rare items, and a player must be interested in rare items to value them, and that value can wildly fluctuate depending on who the player buys that object from. "Yet there is no Rare Sump!" which just results in the online world filling up with crap or stuff that never goes away and just continues to pile up without end o_O Such markets are similar to art markets in real life, and the only reason some gets lost, is by someone throwing it away, or in our case, discontinuing there account and allowing it to disappear o_O Here's one of the problems of our game with rares, is that our game is not a "monthly payment game" and our accounts last :eek: "forever!" So unless it's a discontinued product, it's value is far less as time marches on.

:oops:~Possibilities~
    Gems and Jewelry should gain an investment value even more in our game the more you wear them (added value modifier?). Famous things are those things that have gained their value by their fame. How many movies have we seen where the pirate or adventurer takes off their ring and uses it as a last resort of needed cash to pay for something? o_O In this way, Gems & Gold used within non-magical jewelry could have a rising value on our NPC and player markets. Sure you may have paid more for that gem, or more for that gold used within your newly created jewelry masterpiece, yet wear it enough or keep it for a long time, and it's value could then increase slowly to regain and even surpass it's original value on the NPC or player market. There magical value could increase over time, providing the non-magical jewelry a useful purpose to be retained in non-magical jewelry... Jewelry I might add that has no meaningful re-sale value without such a system. All it would take within the programing, is to have a time stamp. The older the time stamp, the more value all the things that went into making that piece of jewelry have gained, including the possibility of added magical value within that gem when recycled into a magical piece of jewelry or weapon.

:oops:~Magic Uses Things Up~
    Magic should be the gold sump of gems and jewelry should be a monetary and magical investment for the future...
    Or... our non-magical jewelry is just a shiny non-valuable thing :(

When is a Ruby not a Ruby? o_O
    [​IMG]
    Some Players don't collect, or even wear non-magical jewelry... this would give wearing it or having it meaningful purpose!
    Any other thoughts, comment or suggestions out there?
    "Well Invited Indeed!"
    :D

~SOTA, The Way of the Gem Collector~:)
    I am a historian of astrology who has studied what there was and is within it's craft. The alchemy practices within astrology, I'm hoping some day to incorporate within our SOTA...

The thought within the game is, to have a lens focusing device where the player must wait for each planet to pass a certain position in the sky and then be able to enhance that quality of the targeted planet into the gem. In this way, we could then deepen our game's connection to our planetary surroundings. A player could wait until a number of planets will be all in line with each other and thereby be able to capture multiple enhancements by knowing what time to wait for before enhancing the raw or cut gem.

This would also open the possibility, whereby that gem's enhanced quality would increase or decrease in it's power depending on the passing planets after it's creation. This may cause the player to save the weapon or crafted item which retains the gem in a socket until it best time to become then used.

In other words, "I'd like to see gems and their owners to have a deepening game from knowing their in game gem ways".

~Ritual Book Magic Though Emotes~o_O
    I believe that this is all interconnected, or should be... But these are my deepest thoughts into ritual magic and how we could incorporate it into our game in a significant deepening way...

Book magic I believe could be combined by placing special books into the game, which have spells written inside them for the player to seek to find (quest). With each discovery of the single page within the individual book that is found along the quest, by turning to that page, this could cause the spell collection book to become interfaced to that discovery and thereby placing that spell within their own spell book. Then, from the spell book of known spells to cast, with a touch of each page, the spell could then be cast, yet setting off an "emote" within the player's list of emotes, causing the player to dance. Such a ritual could also be enhanced from what planet was within a certain target position in the sky, just as that of the gems.

We have all seen or had connection with combat spells, yet these types of spells would be used to enhance the player's crafting ability for a short range of time so they can better their chances or create more special items while at their crating tables. By incorporating this into the gem enhancement planetary alchemy, when all are then combined, this could further enhance the product which will hold the gem within it's socket.

Risk = Reward in our hunting, so why not Effort = Reward within our crafts is my general view.
    :eek: Complicated, Questing, Craft, Ritualistic, Planetary Book Magic :confused: What a mouthful to say, but... sounds like fun to me :)

What do you think o_O?'

:rolleyes: The reasons I'm bringing all this up now, is that we now have many more fresh new players, with fresh new minds, which always bring out fresh new ideas to any of our seemingly old subjects. Yet also, we now have a perpetual sky, it's seasons, as well as our very small astrolabes to very large DarkStarr Moondials from which to predict and interact with our world in new innovative ways.

I think it's important to understand that when we have things that work, we need to see if we can find even more work or functions that they could do which could further enhance our enjoyment within our game.

As you can see from most of the mentioned above prior posts, I've always thought that our Gems should be somehow be tied to our sky and from there to some sort of either magical quality or their $gold value collectable quality.

Even if this post and thread die from inactivity or from strait out disinterests in such things :p I do hope the reader finds themselves stimulated to further their continued ideas :)

Just because our game is now headed into it's Ep#1 Release, "there's no reason that our continued player suggested ideas should ever end" :D Because we will always be an ever evolving game which invites it's player's input and especially their fresh new ideas which are vital for our game's continued success.

So, "Please Be Stimulated" :D and I hope you find any of these resources of help to the reader.

[​IMG]
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord~:)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.