1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Naming and Cheating/Exploiting Policy Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ah. Those are not technically ASCII but extended ASCII (in old-school computer terms, now it would be considered Unicode range). Anyway, how is SotA to be localized without the use of those characters?

FrostII likes this.
  2. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

Come to think of it, how does SotA handle Unicode Right-to-left mark ?

¿ sʇxǝʇ uʍop-ǝpᴉsdn ɹo

Barugon and FrostII like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Oh hell.... I had to look for 30 seconds to see that.
    It does make a difference.

4. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

9 out of 10 people are good people... 1 out of 10 are trouble makers. Customer support has the lateral movement to handle the trouble makers while we, the 90%, are given the freedom to make a name that we want without millions of frustrating restrictions. Why is this being discussed to make it more limiting unless you don't trust the decision making of support? And, if you don't, why are you appealing them to make a decision and change the current system? Seems like a lose-lose argument to continue because the next step will make things worse or things will be made worse.

I personally, as someone who was affected by naming rules being broken, fully support the current structure/system. I don't think any changes/revisions are needed right now. Let's wait until we have 20k concurrent players ^.^

5. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

It's easier to prevent a problem now versus when we have more players. So if someone names themself Vìolation Clauth you will have no issues with this right?

6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Not only would I have an issue, it's already happened, they already dressed like me and lured my guildmates to pvp zones and PKed them, and the current system already handled it.

Hence:

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  7. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

So how has the similar name change issue been resolved? Perhaps I missed this thread?

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

One answer would be to treat those characters as variations on the regular characters but equal to a base character. The same way upper and lower case are considered the same character, for example A and a, and all of 'ÀÁÂÃÄÅàáâãäå' should be equal to the same base letter A.

9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Localization is about the game text, not names. One need does not imply the other.

FFXI had a significant number of Japanese players, but names could only be a-z, case insensitive, with only the first letter upper-case, minimum 3 letters, and digits were not allowed. One thing this did was ensure that names could be typed by all users in the CLI. Even if the OS-native input system was used, most people would still not know how to type accented characters.

Another thing it did was ensure that people couldn't look like a bunch of AOL users running around (JoeBlow3325). Also, in FFXI, RMT-owned characters (gold farmers, money laundering, etc.) were usually 3-5 random letters, but if they could have, I'm sure they would have used accented letters and kanji. Plus there is the problem with layout-control and undefined code points in Unicode, so you have to have some kind of limits.

Mykll likes this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Copyright does not cover names, that's trademarks. Unlike copyrights, there is no such thing as an automatic trademark, it has to be specifically claimed (TM tradmarks) or registered (R trademarks) to exist. And trademarks must be continually defended by their owners, or they can lose claim.

In this case, "Vader" by itself is not the trademark of DisneyLucasMarvelABC, so there wouldn't even be a problem. (there are other reasons, too, why there would be no problem) "Drath Vader" is getting close, it could still be fair use for parody, but you can't print it on cardboard as part of the packaging for a badly-molded action figure on a store shelf.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, i18n does not include user input. Everyone must use English A-Z. Check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.