New article about SotA - objective and interesting, worth a read

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoneWerewolf, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Who said SP fans specifically are spreading lies?

What is true though is that SOME folks.. for whatever reason seem to want to go out their way to troll the game. It doesn't matter whether their disgruntled SP fans or PvP fans or just plain ol' trolls with an axe to grind.

The problem here as *I* see it though, is too many people seem to only want to focus on the negative, much of which is personal opinion, which is a self perpetuating downward spiral. Sure there are some valid issues in the article BUT is also heavily skewed. There are quite a few statements in there I find to be blatantly false and anyone who's really been paying attention should know better. ie devs ignoring critical issues during Q&A? Really? Does the author know they're answering player questions? Does the author know that questions not answered in the stream are answered in the forum? Apparently not.

The article to me reads as someone earlier described.. not by someone who's actually been here and been involved.. but someone doing research elsewhere and assuming the information is accurate.

Ronni, SmokerKGB, jammaplaya and 8 others like this.
  2. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

This is not a game review, this is a listing of things Portalarium might (=not prooved information) have promised and then have not implemented in the very subjective PoV of the
    writer. If I read the article I have strong doubts that the writer have ever played the game more than 10 hours...for me it seems like it is a collection of the bad steam reviews and
    some criticism he took out of the forum and pasted them together to this article.

Stundorn, Ronni and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  3. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Winfield is a trademark... Berek is a movie... shall I continue?

I think he wants to point out that it makes no sense to make these regulations if you dont enforce them on ALL customers.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I would publically express my opinion of the consistency of moderation in these forums, but any such public expression leads consistently to moderation.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  5. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

Well put ;)

The author has in the excess of 4K posts on the forum and is rather active, does that answer any of your questions in your post?

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So the copyright on harry potter is void and null @E n v y. You are not THE Harry Potter, you are one among probably many.

I think it is extremely silly to enforce a copyright on a very common english name.

E n v y likes this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

However I am ZE Avatar, sue me EA :p lol...

8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

heh, there are indeed lessons to be learned here. Being good at one thing,like design for example doesn't mean you'll be great at PR or sales to the general public.
    It's a completely new paradigm though; an open ( or really a semi open) dev environment with the people who are funding you can and does get messy.
    That said though...I hope we do a lot better, no need to write your own bad press.

Mykll and Gildor2 like this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

I have to agree - it's not a game review. A true game review would have snippets of actual gameplay whether prose or photos illustrating the points the author was making.

Stundorn, jolanar, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  10. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

T
    It is an article on why this game gets so much hate from reviews,in comments on news and reddit e.g. I dont think the author labelled it at review. It is just news about this game's community.

Mykll, Numa, Blackghost and 1 other person like this.
  11. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

If nothing is done, as the article mentioned. Then the game won't go far. The article is pretty much spot on. As I got my last post deleted because I said that thread could be locked. It only prove the point of the article. Also, me and a relative who works at gamespot spoke about SotA and he did not hear anything good so far.
    I hope they will change the direction though because it's really needed.

12. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

And the amount of people that wished this game to succeed but just don't see it happen until major changes come is large...
    It is a bad sad that things like the Trammuca thing, or the little joke before the telethon started are the best concepts they had for sandbox content in this game.
    Yes the POTs are great... but they are mostly without life because you don't need a house in a world where there is nothing to do.

Grumpy, Mykll and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Links alone likely don't get a thread lock. What's said (and most importantly, how it is said) afterward is what gets a thread locked... thanks for keeping on topic here :).

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Really? cause looking at the name on the article I don't see it anywhere on this forum. So.. no it doesn't. (Not that I really asked any non-rhetorical questions to begin with).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  15. jfoytek

jfoytek Avatar

As a Person on the Multiplayer side of the house I find this to be accurate in describing some of the main issues...

As a Multiplayer I find the single player aspect of this game to be a waist of time... I would assume most of the people on the single player side of the house find the multiplayer to be an equal waist of time...
    So we have a divide formed at the very center of the game, its a divide that exists because neither side is happy with the current state of the game...

If both sides were happy we wouldn't care one way or the other but neither side is happy...
    Fishing Needs Help
    Taming Needs Help
    Exploration needs Help
    There is no treasure hunting
    PvP is pointless
    Housing as the focus for Sota's income has pushed this game into a niche market as normal players can't and wont play because they cannot afford the housing!

And all of my gripes are from a Multiplayer perspective...

The best and most polished parts of the game in my eyes are the hand crafted scenes and the questline, with the interactive quest givers and these are all the core of the single player experience....
    And I have said time and again that they spend far too much time on the story and not enough time on content in the game world, and that there focus on the single player aspect of this game detracts from what the game could be.

This could be a good MMORPG if they would stop putting all there time and effort into the single player experience!
    But first they need to fix how they go about making there money as hiding Vendors and Housing behind a paywall is taking the best parts of the game away from the normal gamer...

16. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

i have to say the small scenes we load in and out of really do kill the game play, and immersion. Nothing feels grand, expansive, i feel like im in a large cage with terrain inside it. I do not like how game ends up with areas that are just "the best" area in game currently. I also hate how "the best" areas are fixed. A fixed area ends up being for the most part "nerfed", that for a lot of players is a good area now a bad area. A game with a bunch of nerfed bad areas becomes a bad game. game needs much deeper structures i believe and a system that rotates area spawns (monsters, Resources, XP, gold, recipes, chests, secrets) make players move around more. NO BEST AREAS or BAD AREAS.

17. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

We focus on the negative because the time is right to focus on the negative. Now, before release, is when it can be fixed. Now is when we should focus on it. We're harsh because we want the game to be successful. After release we can focus on the positive.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose"

18. Ronni

Ronni Avatar

This might be good reason for this negative and harsh feedback but dont forget that word of mouth is already part of marketing activities and even if Portalarium has not started its campaign, we are already in an important phase so close to the launch in a couple of months. And as you see, the negative feedback has obviously a strong media impact and is distributed in many articles. The article is not balanced at all and objective. Where is any positive content mentioned with a positive tonality? And besides some understandable aspects to complain about, there are tons of positive elements in this game. Where did he mention this? Negative articles seem to get more attention as balanced ones and this might also be a trigger for this negative tonality in the article. You are also responsible for a financial success after launch, so choose your harsh feedback wisely so that it is really constructive and if you want SotA to be successful. A fee months before launch, there is polish work to be done, but major changes just not possible without massive delay. So keep this in mind, please.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  19. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Ich hab ja schon versucht, dass weiter vorn auf Englisch zu beleuchten. Diejenigen die die Gegenstände für den Shop machen, werden sich normalerweise kaum um die anderen Dinge des Spiels kümmern. Ein Dekodesigner könnte vielleicht auch für andere Dinge eingesetzt werden, aber wäre er dort genauso effektiv? Wohl kaum und im schlimmsten Fall würde er dort dann sogar unbeabsichtigt Fehler begehen. Wenn du einen Heizungsmonteur im Haus hast, lässt du Ihn ja auch nicht deinen PC reparieren. ;)
    Entsprechend finde ich es erst einmal nicht schlimm, dass es einen konstanten Strom an neuen Gegenständen gibt, vorausgesetzt es ist wie ich es gesagt habe und niemand wird dadurch von seiner eigentlichen Arbeit an wichtigen Systemfunktionen abgehalten.

Paladin Michael and Stundorn like this.
  20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Es sollte aber in der Werbung und Newslettern weniger davon zu sehen sein.

Die Nachricht das ich mir jetzt neue rosa tuetues kaufen kann bringt keine Spieler wieder. Es ensteht der Eindruck das es eben nur um Deko geht und weniger ein RPG zu bauen. Gebe dir Recht... das eine geht trotzdem. Aus marketing sicht jedoch nicht gut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.