New Chaos Spell concept

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Amber Raine, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I have a new idea for this spell... It can be ANY spell/combo in the game... RNG picks it... and if it ends up being a heal it heals the target... and if it backfires you always have 1hp

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

[​IMG]

3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

How about 2% chance that the target is killed instantly, 98% chance that you are killed instantly, works on bosses?

Edit: Should probably elaborate here. These kinds of spells almost always result in people just running up to enemies they know they can't beat, using the spell to try to kill it, then rinsing and repeating until they succeed with the RNG. I do like Amber's idea if the spell has a long cooldown (like once per week). Instakill abilities of any kind suffer from being OP if no cooldown is used simply because death isn't likely to be enough of a penalty to stop players from wantonly trying. On the flip side, if the ability doesn't work on enemies worth using an instakill type ability on, why would anyone use it?

4. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Okay this is going way off where the original post was headed. Heal... Heal... we have other spells that are "listed" that do this other random stuff.

Concept was on additional "Heal" spells for chaos that has that extra chaotic bit of death to it.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Why are you trying to bring order to the thread, its against the spirit of chaos.

6. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I was being sarcastic. I edited my post to make my meaning clearer. Sorry, not trying to derail. :)

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

should only work on avatars...

8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

healing is orderly... when you take damage the most orderly thing you can do is heal... so this spell being chaos should do that rarely... I suggest 5% or less... the rest of the time you get random chickens popping out of the turf and pecking at your toes taking 1 hit point per peck...

Amberraine likes this.
  9. Amber Raine

I could quote a hang out where it was said by FireLotus "anywhere but the forums" LOL! TO answer the question - Without Order, there is no Chaos. :p and de-railing Violations De-rail sounded like the right thing to do :p

Oh was not referring to you, i saw where Violation took it and was trying to de-rail his de-rail :p :) I actually welcome and like many of your points.

Would be used mostly in PvP I would think. As the only way you could get the reagent "Tears of the Avatar" would be in PvP. It should only be usable in PvP. However, the pay off, if used in PvE is that extremely high focus cost. You get drained. Leaving you not much more to play with if you need to have 50% or more. The once a week may seem a bit extensive maybe once an hour? that could be added.

Trenyc and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  10. Amber Raine

I'll have my dead red sheep peck your chicken! Although this goes well with Miracles thoughts on cats and dogs ~laughs~ Entertainment value goes way up! :p

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

I think this is an awesome idea. The power of chaos!

If I could make a similar suggestion: I'd make it a coin toss...50%. The card either fully heals or it reduces the target down to 1 hp. So you can use it on yourself or your opponent. I'd probably have this card Locked and use it as a last chance. Yes, it would piss off the opponent to no end or give him fits of maniacal laughter. And why 1 hp? It gives him that same risk if he uses the skill to try and recover -- or against you so you're at 1 hp. Works both ways. :)

12. Amber Raine

Exactly the entertainment I was referring to :)

This is also the reason why the 40/40/20 - so you had the chance to Full heal or Instant kill, but also with that risk, you could die yourself just casting it. You could use it on yourself sure and still run the same risk of killing yourself. it would just nullify the "chance for caster to die" or it wouldn't.. hmm. would then end up with a 40% chance of killing yourself, and a 20% chance of killing yourself. but it would be 2 different rolls. The risk of using such a powerful heal on yourself instead of someone else.

I could see the entertainment in the 1hp. This would also give the target the opportunity to get that killing blow instead of you just "Oh Crap - I'm dead" yourself. although it is always funny to see a person commit suicide in battle. Goodness knows I have done it WAY to often ... usually by accidently having myself targetted and casting something. or in UO, hitting the wrong health bar accidently.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

38-38-18-6

Amberraine likes this.
  14. Amber Raine

As much as i *Really* like this. Chances are they would not ever go with it. I would be game!

15. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I would change ONE thing, because I think that one thing will be affected by the multiplicative aspect of multi-player, and should be curtailed before the great plague.

NO instant kill. An effect that deals 100% of the target's remaining hp to them as damage, sure, but instant kill is too good. There is no cost associated with this that would balance the potential to take an enemy from full to dead in one hit. There SHOULD be no way to ever get your hands on an instant win spell, even one that goes wrong 70% of the time. The quest for the remaining 30% would transform this from an awesome addition to chaos, into a super-griefomatic power.

Lots of damage, yeah, go for it, "instant kill", no.

If someone HAD resistance to chaos damage, or resistance to all damage, or an ongoing heal, or a reactive heal, or a way to delay the damage while preparing for it, or temporary hit points, or a shield, or whatnot, then they should survive, benefiting from wise preparation. If used on a powerful mob, like an elder dragon, it should hit very very hard, and not quite kill the beast, though it will definitely get the wyrm's attention. Rather fatally, I suspect.

Espada likes this.
  16. Amber Raine

I can completely understand that, and after thinking on it, You are absolutely correct as was smack.

Dropping the target to 1hp would give them that small chance to recover. I personally still like the "Oh Crap I'm dead" back fire, but then I find it funny (yes i do indeed laugh aloud ) when I blow myself up "oops!" style. Personally, with such a spell, I think it would be well in the cost of risk, balance, to sacrifice ones life if it backfires.

I will admit that I see the back fire dropping the caster to 1hp instead could also be a beneficial alteration to this current concept. This would give the target the chance to laugh mercilessly at the caster, and get the pleasure of removing the last 1hp hit with their killing blow. As long as they could stop laughing long enough to hit you.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

@MalakBrightpalm -- we already have instant kill in the game: crystal swords. Granted, it's single use and destroys itself but doesn't work against certain players (Devs) or certain NPCs/MOBs, but likely 100% of the regular players.

@Amberraine -- I like the instant kill idea too. Mine was just a variation of it as a different type of "last chance" skill. We can certainly do both! Thinking about it further though, the 1 hp idea might not work if there are active DOTs on you or the opponent, so perhaps those need to be nullified.

Amberraine likes this.
  18. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

There could also be a skill that would help resist the negative effects of the spell to the caster.

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Quite a creative idea. I like it. It could be fun.

However, I wonder about two things: 1) Is chaos magic really about lack of control of magic? This idea implies that a chaos mage cannot control their results. Or is chaos defined as something else? 2) What would the application be? I could see a chaos mage's group friends not being amused by the use of this skill in raid instances.....

20. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I agree that an 'orderly' group would not appreciate Chaos mages at all.. but there are those of us who welcome a bit of chaos in our gameplay!

I see the chaos skill tree as having the most powerful spells in the game, and yes, they would be unpredictable with sometimes catastrophic results. But they would also have the 'potential' to have much stronger results and be quite helpful.

Amberraine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.