New Chaos Spell concept

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Amber Raine, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

If you take a look at the current list of Chaos spells in the tree. Yes, chaos magick truly *is* the lack of control. This current spell concept I have falls directly in line with the type of spells there.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  2. Amber Raine

This would be a risk of the casters intelligence. "Do I have DoTs on me? I might want to remove those first" . "Does the target have a DoT on it? maybe I should remove that" . Or if using the spell on an enemy "Does the target have a DoT on it? maybe I should put one first"

This would be on the caster, if you are chaotic enough to think "Eh, I have a DoT on me but I am God and I can not fail this spell". Well, be proven wrong and learn the hard way while we laugh!

3. Amber Raine

Updated Spell Concept:

Power of Chaos - Chaotic Heal -> Full Heal, Instant Kill (or drop to 1hp), Or Backfire - Oh crap I'm dead! (instant kill caster or drop to 1hp)
    Chaos spell + any existing healing spell (giving a short range and/or long range version chance)

Power of Chaos - Chaotic Healing Raines - Same Chaos spell + the Water Spell - healing rain - AoE version of the Chaotic Heal -- More costly then the single target version <?>

Suggested change: Chance to completely heal both health and focus

As this would be a very powerful spell it would also come with a very high cost!
    This spell would require 50% or above focus and would completely drain the focus pool. Friendly or an enemy could potentially be the target of this spell.
    - AoE version 75% or above focus and would completely drain the pool

Reagents required for this spell:

- Tears of the Avatar in order to cast it on a fellow player. After all, Tears of the Avatar are what DarkStarr feeds on.
    OR
    - Obtain a Tear Of DarkStarr by killing sheep which then would allow this spell to be used in PvE
    - Depending on which reagent you used, would depend on the force of the spell. Tear of the Avatar would give the full potential. Where as making DarkStarr cry would have Ambers spoon forcibly entering your forehead. I mean using Tears of DarkStarr would only have 25% the effect (in PvP due to ease of obtaining the Tear of DarkStarr)?

The effects would be distributed as such:

Chaotic Heal

40% chance you completely heal your target, 40% chance Instantly kill the target, 20% chance caster is dead.
    (38% chance you completely heal your target, 38% chance Instantly kill the target, 18% chance caster is dead, 6% that Amber Raine is instantly killed, wherever she may be in New Britannia - as said by redfish, i could welcome this, would be the cost a witch deserves to pay for making a new spell :p)

Chaotic Healing Raines

Target Others: 40% chance to heal those in the radius, 40% chance black death rains upon those in the radius, 20% chance uncontrollable tiny insects/worms crawl out of the ground and do 1hp each for a period of time.

Target Self: 40% chance to heal themselves, 40% chance to insta-kill (or drop to 1hp) themselves, 20% chance to backfire and kill themselves (or drop to 1hp)
    - Both loss of life methods would be applied on 2 seperate roll chances.

Would be used mostly in PvP as the only way you could get the reagent "Tears of the Avatar" would be in PvP. However, the pay off, if used in PvE (with the Tears of DarkStarr) is that extremely high focus cost. You get drained. Leaving you not much more to play with if you need to have 50% or more. Cool downs are disliked, however a 1hr (longer?) cool down could be applied.

Chances to resist the negative effects of the spell could be gained either in the chaos school (would need yet another skill/defense box added to the tree - creating possibly the requiring of 2 new skill boxes and not only one) Or via jewelry, potions, other methods of magick resist.

I believe this not only entertains the chaos tree and adds another heal spell for healers to be able to use, This also has a level of entertainment for the player(s) on both ends, caster and target. Entertainment does not always need to be positive.

Day 1 of the concept of this spell and this is what has been thought up from the original, with help from the community.. Keep the ideas and thoughts coming!

(edit needed: Thank you Miracle for pointing out my chaotic tendencies of trying to drown everyone in the 'radio' with black death)

4. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Correction, we have HAD instant kill in the parent series through crystal swords. I haven't seen one yet in SotA, and like all prior Ultima features, there is no guarantee that Portalarium will import it, or that it will arrive as it was in past games when they do.

For the record, I'm against Crystal Swords in SotA as well, for much the same reason. One player with access can be fun, or might twist the game a bit, the full population of an MMO with access to instant kill frequently becomes stupid.

5. Amber Raine

Um, the crystal sword IS in SotA already. Take a look at the pledges, not to mention the chests all across the current land. This item is already in existence. MalakBrightpalm

Gabriel Nightshadow, Gaelis and smack like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Wait...you didn't know about this?

EDIT: Argh, ninja'd by Amberraine. ;)

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Okay, my thoughts,

* Its a fun idea, but I don't know if anyone would use it except to have laughs once in a while. Its not really a practical spell. The only thing that would mitigate that would be some way to enhance your luck, by carrying some lucky items, so the odds end up being in your favor rather than 50-50.

* Its a bit strange to call it a "chaotic heal" spell since its just as much a "chaotic death" spell. What the player is doing is making a bargain, like flipping a coin, where heads means death and tails means life. It's a kind of "wheel of fortune" type of spell, since you're playing a type of roulette, where you can be either alive or dead. Or if you like, "metronome," which I is the random spell Togepi uses in Pokémon. However, it also reminds me of the DarkStarr metronome, which swings its scythe back and forth, and where if you end up with unlucky timing you're dead.

[​IMG]

* It could always be a combination of chaos magic and life magic instead of a spell in the chaos school. Resurrecting could also be an option, though with the chance of killing the caster.

Mata and Gaelis like this.
  8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

In Ultima Lore they were called 'Glass swords' In SotA Lore they are called 'Crystal Swords'. :D

To put your fears to rest, they are only a unique pledge item, so there will never be many of them in the game, and if those pledge items are ever used, they will be destroyed, and no new ones will ever be created. period. ;D They are primarily a keepsake for fans to display in their homes.

Gaelis likes this.
  9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

@Amberraine @Smack @Miracle Dragon, Hooray, keepsake mistakes. Well, the limited numbers mean they will burn themselves out eventually... probably. I sardonically look forward to what hordes of internet personalities will accomplish with access to such things.

It never ceases to amaze me how flat the learning curve on handling the internet can be. Seems like every week another brilliant, wealthy, well educated person is quoted as saying they had NO IDEA that putting such and such together with internet access would cause problems, as forum trolls, lurkers, hackers, and an army of twelve year old websurfers rampage across netspace with yet another abomination.

10. Mata

Mata Avatar

This picture remember me on this...

[​IMG]

11. Amber Raine

As prementioned - it would be a last ditch resort, almost dead... risk for grand reward. I would imagine there are a number of healers that would use this. Especially if they like myself are going chaos/life trees.

Not to mention - Have you seen *any* of the listed proposed chaos spells? Which of them other then being able to control your demon seems 100% practical. Lets think on this... its chaos, it is not meant to be practical :p

I agree, the use of "Chaotic Heal" was merely just a stand in name - The name could change to what ever they wish with the underlying usage staying the same or altering ever slightly as it already has from the first delivered concept. I like the reference to the metronome, that is EXACTLY what it is like. Also makes sense why the "Tear of DarkStarr" is one of the reagents.

That is what was already stated. It would need a glyph or something in the chaos tree, combined with a spell in the life tree (or water tree for rains) in order to use it. That is in the "updated" concept.

It is a one time use item, more as a memory sake. I do not actually see anyone using it except as a last ditch effort in dire cases, much like this proposed spell.

12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I like the idea. Like Amber says, most of the Chaos tree is something of a novelty anyway. If you're looking for effectiveness, well, you can dole out a lot more chaos through other combat skills than you can through the Chaos tree. Amber's spell is risky, rewarding (when it goes the way you'd like for it to do), and quirky. Seems fun to me.

Though I do worry about people abusing something like this to troll others. Imagine going on a grand adventure with four other people you don't know so well, only to have two of them just drop dead for no reason right when you get to the boss. One thing I've learned from playing internet games for many years is that there are always people who will go waaaayyy above and beyond to abuse game mechanics with the goal of bothering others. I still blame Blizzard for this.

13. Curt

Curt Avatar

have a spell that summons a ... 80% chance its your friend 20% chance its your enemy. That kind of spell scales better in bossfights

14. Amber Raine

~nods n nods~ If you are looking for something that makes sense. Why would anyone be looking at chaos? Chaos is not meant to make sense! :)
    Thank you Trenyc! Spot on.

Well there are 2 things here. If they cast it, then it is not "for no reason" they hit the risk button, they knew the risk, was not for no reason.. it was because you need a party with a little more of lady luck on their side. Second reason, stay out of PvP zones, if your friends are targeted and die from a lucky roll from someone else doing it, well.... they had to be in a PvP zone.. only way another player could target them :)

It would be annoying yes, of course it would! So would the demon that you can summon in higher levels going balistic and eatting the caster ~laughs~ Its the risk vs reward.

Very fair points however, thank you for them! It is with comments and questions like this, that something that may not have other wise been thought of comes out and helps iron out any unseen bugs :)

Trenyc and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Well, my worry is more to do with people using the ability to suicide, leaving their friends high and dry in a dark and gloomy dungeon, parked right outside Gorgodon's Breakfast Buffet. :) It'd be like Leeroy Jenkins, only much sadder and less funny.

16. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Gee, who would want to do that :rolleyes:

Trenyc and Amberraine like this.
  17. Amber Raine

~grins from ear to ear with a chuckle~ As Gabriel says:

Trenyc and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  18. Curt

Curt Avatar

So would this be a chaos spell?

the spell places out a grid of 'mine?' in the surroundings that will last for X seconds.
    if you step close to a 'mine?' something happens, 50% nothing 20% explosion, 30% ???

Would suddenly make running around on the battle field way more chancy.

Amberraine likes this.
  19. Amber Raine

Sounds kind of fun!

20. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

And yet, what *I* anticipate is someone finding a way to use it to cause untold mischief, posting that in a gaming threat on 4chan or reddit, and having the technique spread like wildfire. I also suspect that some confluence of circumstance will open the door to more of the damnable things, or the effect they control, entering gameplay periodically. After all, what could go wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.