1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsidian Cabalists - Spoilers!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by UglyFist, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Thanks to everyone that sent me a message about this. I'm currently trapped in the middle of an 8 hour wait to get a Nintendo Switch for my kids. So this is a great diversion.:cool:

These really look great. I have so many questions and not enough keyboard (cell).

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

@DarkStarr , @Lord British

Dolus, Temna, Nefario, Nefas, Avara, Indigno, Corpus, and Fastus

8 names.. 8 anti-virtues.. 8.. dare I say it? Planets?

Hornpipe, Alexander, smack and 3 others like this.
  3. UglyFist

UglyFist Developer Emeritus

Thanks so much to everybody for the kind words. I'm glad you guys are excited...

So I came in this morning and thought it'd be cool to put a screenshot together that shows off each Cabalst mask with its name - so you guys won't have to wait until these NPCs are all integrated to see em.

[​IMG]

4. Drocis the Devious

@Lum the Mad
    @DarkStarr
    @Lord British

Questions:

1. The Temple of the Shattered Eye has four Obsidian Lords (perhaps also called "the Lords of Dust" perhaps not):
    Orta, Lady of the New Dawn
    Anapa, Lord of Death
    Cruciatus, Lord of Agony
    Visayon, Lord of Arcane Power

Do these Obsidian Cultists have any relationship to the Obsidian Lords we have already learned about? If so, what can you tell us about that relationship?

2. I have been preparing for the return of the Obsidian Lords, thinking there were only 4 (see above) and hoping to help them enter this world, put up shrines in their honor, and NOW to assist them in spreading their fulfillment of Dirae Prophecies. Per Starr:
    IT SHALL COME TO PASS IN THE LONG DAYS AFTER THE FALL...
    THERE SHALL COME ONE FROM BEYOND THE CIRCLES OF THE SUNDERED MOON...
    WHO SHALL BIND THE WORLD TOGETHER...
    FROM ITS SHATTERED STONE AND BONE SEAS...
    THEY SHALL BIND TOGETHER ALL THAT FLY ABOVE THE LAND...
    BURROW BENEATH IT...
    IN THAT DAY SHALL ALL BE BROUGHT TO BOW...
    BEFORE THE POWER OF THE ONE...
    THE WORLD SHALL BE SWEPT CLEAN OF ITS FOLLY...
    AND CLEANSED OF ITS IMPURITY...
    BEFORE THE CHOSEN ONE...
    AND THE TRIUMPH OF THE HOPE...
    IN THE DARKNESS SHALL BE COMPLETE.

My question though, has to do with the idea that I apparently can't help them so much as I can attack them, take their stuff (weapons, robes, masks) and assume their place? It makes sense to some degree that if they're not strong enough to defend themselves from me that I should have their things. But I wonder how that fits into the grand scheme of things. There are obviously "cultists" helping one another. Do they immediately fight all Avatars regardless of intentions? (yes I know this is a game, but I'm trying to figure out how the lore makes sense here)

3. Any chance that if we successfully get the Mask, Weapon, and Robe of one of these Obsidian Cultist Lords that we will also float? I'd really enjoy that. It would seem that the items are not what's making them float, but rather whatever powerful sorcery they used to prolong their lives. So barring the ability to recreate that process, I'd really like to float. :cool:

4. The Obsidian Septagram of Dominion has 7 (not 8) points (see below for reference), and this continues to confuse me. Perhaps the Septagram and the 8 Cultists are not supposed to be a one for one match? Which is fine, I'd just like to know how a loyal follower of the Obsidian Order would use the Septagram and how the 8 Obsidian Cultists (and I assume 8 celestial bodies) would/might align.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As it stands, I'm unsure if I should be remodeling my magic sigil ritual courtyard to a Septagram or an unrelated 8 sided Cultist Shrine?
    [​IMG]

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The Obsidian Lords in the Tower of the Shuttered Eye seem to match up with the leaders of the Obsidian Cabal around the time of Blade of the Avatar. I'd think the Cultists would come later, closer to the fall of the Obsidian Empire.

Good question. The Septagram is basically a symbol of the seven Obsidian "virtues". I don't know that these are the same as the "anti-virtues" that these Cultists worship. Some clarification might be warranted. Up until now, only the seven runes differentiated the various Obsidian septagrams, but maybe they should use these symbols.

6. Drocis the Devious

I agree. But that assumes the 4 Obsidian Lords are dead, are not coming back, and the Neo Obsidians are detached from the old times. I'm hoping there might be something the dev team can share that will explain what we're seeing in the Temple of the Shattered Eye and what we're seeing in these sieges. I can't figure out the math. ;)

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

This is awesome and I am SUPER excited to fight these guys and loot their masks! Very good work here, maybe i'll start playing again now, lol! ;)

discipleofweb likes this.
  8. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Yes!

9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

If I am an anti virtuous player.. will I still be able to attack the cabalists - or will that make me virtuous? Or will it be that I help them with the siege? Is there a plan on what happens when a siege is successful?

10. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Intimidating indeed but maybe size should vary a bit and dashes of colour in the robes (runes? Symbols? Coat of arms?) to make them even more unique.

11. Drocis the Devious

[​IMG]
    I think having them similar actually serves a purpose here. As it did with the Ring Wraiths.

By Tor, Hazard, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
  12. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Yes but even the nazgul could be told apart by masks, weapons and had different shapes. At least in the books (if my memory doesn't betray me) and the Rolemaster sourcebooks.
    My idea was that they are very similar but not identical save the face mask. They were mortals and transformed, so they probably still want to be leaving an individual mark of terror :)

13. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

Excited to see this, though due to my reclusive nature I don't see myself acquiring a new wardrobe anytime soon. I have a feeling the chances of besting one of these cabalist solo would be slim.

Hazard likes this.
  14. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Great work on these. I cant wait to see them in game!

The cosmetic loot drops on these guys (and the new artifacts) raises a question about loot distribution. Right now all loot except gold is first come first serve for parties. (You click the corpse you get the items.)

Are there any plans to implement some sort of "roll" system to distribute item loot between party members? @DarkStarr

15. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Evard Dirae stirs....

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

You and your non-Ultima references.

[​IMG]

17. UglyFist

UglyFist Developer Emeritus

By Tor, Ao Soliwilos, Hazard and 8 others like this.
  18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

You will still be able to attack the Cabalists.

Sieges do not have a "success" state at this time.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hah! Yay thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.