Online Open Role Play Mode – Open PvP and Full Loot

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Sir Tim, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

I personally think it would be enough to make it easy to see how many people a certain character has killed and a usefull warning system like NPCs talking about it when such people are near.
    Having a complicated justice system in place doest help that much as it probably will get exploited anyway.

My ideal SotA would have a switch at login for PvP that cant be changed for a long time and full loot with heavy item damage so crafters get more work. PvP there should not be limited except probably in places where guards are on duty.

My problem problem with a PvP system without looting is that there is no loss, no investment and no emotions in a fight. Just a bored "Have to spend time to run back" and/or a grind for special PvP loot that gets boring fast (Warhammer Online, I look at you!)
    People who dont want to face the risk of getting looted could always just stay in PvP off mode and enjoy Arena fights, wars with rival guilds or entering the areas where PvP is mandatory if they feel the itch.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Robby

Robby Avatar

Guess ill butt in on answering this one. Yea it probably is. Im sure it would be a lot of greif for ya. When I play an MMO game that has players that attack me while im resource gathering it really makes me quite unhappy even though I willingly joined this game. Its not fun at all. But its something im willing to go through to play in a kind of world were I can turn round and do the same thing, or maybe even jot down the player's name or guild name and get back at them somehow. Carve off their heads. Usually through bounty because more then likely im not gonna be able to take down these hardcore PvPers.

Guerrilla likes this.
  3. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

And that is kind of what I'm getting at.
    I do like having grief in the game, not because I like losing things but it makes you have to learn to play smarter.
    Yea I blew up a couple times opening trapped chests at the bank in UO or eating some poison apples.
    But you learn from your mistakes.
    I guess I want a system that allows grief but ways to deal with it.
    If I lose my house then there should be a way to get it back like going to the local law enforcement or something.

4. Robby

Robby Avatar

Ahhh so your willing to have a game were I could personally pack powder kegs by your house and blow it up because I wanted to loot it? :cool: Ill play your game! hehehehe. Guess I might be a little worried about my house though.... Maybe it could be an "duplicate version" of the house or something I dunno.

5. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I am against the whole "sliding between modes" for the reason Markee Dragon pointed out in one of his recent PvP videos. But if you can slide between them, I see no reason why it wouldn't still hunt them when they switch out. Your 'virtues' follow you any place in the game. Assuming RG and the team are still going down the "virtues" system route.

For sure... I am definatly interested in how this "slider-not-Slider" works. A lot of abuse can happen just switching between something as simple as Single player to friends only mode.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

It depends on what you mean by 'sliding'. If you mean, kill someone, turn your PvP switch off and continue on your merry way, then yes, thatt would be a bad thing. If you mean kill someone, and then make your way back to a safe area, such as a town, before you can change modes, I should think that would be fiine. After all, if towns are safe areas by definition, it doesn't matter if I were to catch up with a person there or not. I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. They could log off, if they wanted, so if they decide to change modes in town, that's not any different from my perspective than if they were to quit the game and go play XBox.

But first, they have to make it back to town.

7. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

How about things like, kill somoene, recall to town, switch off and continue? Kinda cuts the getting to town thing down a little bit.

Owain likes this.
  8. Owain

Owain Avatar

I have said elsewhere, at great length, that if you are flagged for open PvP, spells such as Recall or Gate should be inhibited. Thank you for making my case on the subject very clear indeed.

Devoid and Rodriguez like this.
  9. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

You are welcome?

It is just that I have given up on reading most of this pvp stuff, without more information on what the devs intend, it is hard to guess all possible outcomes of it.

I think that idea could work, I have no issues with that suggestion.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

I try to stay on top of the discussions, although for the last week, I've had no internet access, so I'm playing catch up.

If you want to know what is the best course for SotA PvP, just ask me. ;)

That goes double for the devs!

Devoid likes this.
  11. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I have no doubt that the team would not allow that loop hole. I'm more concerned with them haveing "PvP Only" zones that have their so called "risk/reward loot" in them. Someone that is a PvE'er sliding into single player, running to that zone and fighting the monsters that have the loot there, or minning mineral rich mines there, then sliding back into MMO with all that loot and suffering NO risk. That just wouldnt be fair. That seems like something they would be less likely to pick up on considering most of the team seems to be carebears.

12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I'm gonna go out on a limb, Tim, and bet you a benjamin that the development team has considered this. Since the solutions to that problem have already been belaboured, I won't go into them. What I don't get is how you can claim to love RG's game designs, berate people for not knowing that SotA would have a strong PvP element, and yet turn around and say that the dev team which INCLUDES him won't have considered that point and that they are mostly carebears.

13. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

Actually they might have pre-addressed that concern in the FAQ recently;
    "For Episode 1 offline characters are completely separate from online characters. Offline characters can never migrate to the online space. Offline and online characters on the same account cannot share any content."

If im not mistaken that means online characters are expected to remain online at all times under normal circumstances.

I doubt whatever mechanic used to change from PvP to PvE settings would be convienient enough to allow people to dodge fights they would otherwise be unable to avoid, thats the kind of thing I would expect the devs will have figured out already before we even start the beta. (But if they forget, we'll remind them when the time comes. ;))

14. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Consider this an unofficial warning: anyone who continues to use the term "care-bear" or any other form of unaccepted vernacular will be given a formal warning and possible actions taken against them.

This has been discussed many times before. You guys should know better by now and the fact that you need to break apart the word to keep it from being changed should be your first clue if you didn't already know.

Umbrae likes this.
  15. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Just wanted to point out there is a difference between offline characters and single-player characters. There is a Single Player Online, so just offline characters cannot make the transition to online ones.

However, on the other subject, I still don't see how its not fair for people to do stuff in Single Player and bring it to Multiplayer since this has been the plan since the beginning. I understand people are competitive and they do not like people making progress without an opportunity to tackle them, but I don't think that is the type of game this is shooting for. I am sure there will be room for competitive play, but there is no reason to force people to wear jerseys.

I can agree with some economy concerns, but I think those are things that can be resolved without forcing people into PVP.

Phredicon likes this.
  16. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Besides how to deal with the one blowing up my house it would be nice if players could come and help me rebuild it.
    So if players went out and got wood, brick, stone, and other materials the house could be rebuilt rather quickly with little cost.
    Then if items could be made rather easy it would not take long to be back where you were before the house burnt down.

17. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I kinda like that idea. If someone becomes a criminal then he becomes flaged for attack in every mode.
    Of course in PVE mode he could not attack anyone till they attacked him first.

18. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

LOL nice... It does seem those discussions have been belaboured. They should be careful cause it sound like they could be banned for that.

But on a serious note, I never said the team hasnt considered that point. I am just sospicious that it wont work just like the anti-PvPers are suspicious that Open PvP wont work despite the team saying 'they got this'. And not to belabourn Ultima Codex point but... "it's reasonable that some might wish to join in this discussion to present those alternative." The alternative being, pick a mode, a mode and play in it.

We only hope that is how it works.

I think the correct presentation of the word is with a hyphen, despite how the popular cartoon series had it. I had no idea it was not allowed. That seems absolutly mental to me being that its a legitimate term used to describe a genre of play style. Thank you for the information.

Is there any way we can get PK and Player Killer banned too? I know the forum staff have no bias and want to genuinely protect BOTH aspects of play styles from negative sterotype terms. Seems natural and now that we bring it up, I am upset by the term PK and Player Killer. I hope you guy can end this negative term too and I know that in the staffs fairness, you will. Thank you.
    Well the enviroment would be what chases him in this case. so even in PvE mode he would have to be careful till his "virtues" are repaired. One would assume you can repair them, and one would assume it would take a very long time.

19. God

God Avatar

Thank. You.

Man.. I'm losing more hope for the human race day by day.

20. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Oh no, you heard it here first. Here comes the Apocalypse! :)

God likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.