Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Owl's Head looks like a homeless shelter

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by rune_74, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

For all those who are afraid of all the technik in the world of SotA. We don't know how much really came from the avatars. In BotA we have another hints where the technik can be from.

We know from BotA that the titans rebuild the technik of avatars in their world and brought them with them into New Britannia (chapter XVI). Be it the moon towers or other things. So we can find explanations of their existens in the lore given to use already.[\spoiler]

2. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I would argue that SoA is more Teslapunk than Steampunk, since the technologies you see crop up all seem to be revolving around the manipulation of electricty, and it's the generation of electricity that is effective far beyond the normal world, rather than the generation of steam power.

smack and Amberraine like this.
  3. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Thing is that everyone with dev+ or higher pledge will get a radio (wireless device). How did they get this radio? If it's was something that somehow followed them from the real world to the new world why did only radios come with, different users should get different items than. So the radio must therefore be something that were invented in the fantasy world! With the technology in the rest of the world a radio simply don't fit because no one in the right mind would invent a radio even if they have the knowledge because if you have the knowledge there is thousands and thousands of other items you would invent/reinvent before you even get close to a radio.

Even if the radio are somehow qunque in a way that it's the only thing that actually can follow us to the fantasy world or if the radio were here before we entered the world would there not be many of them out there because people would start ripping them apart in attempt to reverse engineer it to be able to use the technology for other contraptions.

4. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

We (players) are not the first intruders in this world.

5. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

What why I included the comment about if the radio were here before we entered the world.

6. Hightower

Hightower Avatar

Lindsey Sterling, Crystallize

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

All I can really say on this is that Avatars Radio is great......is it great 100% of the time? the answer to that is no due to personal preference, ie you might not like what is being played.

If you don't like what is being played then the solution is to turn it off. No one forces anyone to listen to it, when it is turned off the standard game music resumes.

Does the radio look out of place? Not really......everyone has there own idea of what fits into a fantasy world and people can debate it until the cows come home.....truth is that it is in game and it is in to stay. At the same time I would like to point out that there are many historic devices here on Earth that have been discovered that are simply mind blowing.

In terms of the radio I would like the following:

- The sound source being the radio...if it is turned on it should appear louder if you are close to it, can't hear it if you are off the plot.
    - Ability to tune into your own channels (Avatars Radio still being default). This will give other communities the ability to hold their own events via the radio if they wanted to.
    - I would love all to hear the radio without having to individually turn it on. I know some people argue that is immersion breaking, however I would say it breaks it if you don't.....I mean why wouldn't someone standing next to me hear the same sound waves comming from the same device that is in front of them?

8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Who sets the "Status Quo" about what the correct "Immersion" is?

I feel like after Tolkien all fee like the only acceptable world to play in , is a medieval world with Dwarfs, Elves and Mordor as a final enemy.

I do not know who sets the "Status" about how the "correct" fantasy game has to be in regards to immersion.
    But i do know a tons of great stories and fantasy books that have Steampunk Elements inlcuded. Why is that not included in all your "immersion".

How about Jule Verne or H.G. Wells, who are for me easy one of the greatest fantasy book writers, long before Tolkien and George R.R. Martin. Why not open your mind and give those awesome worlds they created a chance in your immersion:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

All i can say is that i was very Happy that i am finally in a game that includes basically Jule Verne and H.G. Wells roots - ( the roots of Steampunk ) .

It is a honor for me to see the power of them still living in the year 2014 in a game creation.

And Richard is a person who went to the Stars - he is closer for me to Jule Verne and H.G. Wells then Tolkien.

My opinion only. grin.

Myrcello. :)

9. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I think there is no correct definition what immersion is. It's a matter of personal preferences. Some likes high fantasy settings like a pure medieval world. Some likes/accept a little bit more tech in it :) And others like a science fiction setting. And each thing which disturbs the personal preferences ruined the (personally) immersion ;)

10. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Whether the radio suits the setting or not I think it is a pretty unique and player driven thing to have in the game which more than makes up for it. And at least they tried to integrate it into the world rather than just make it a "toggle radio on/off" button on the UI. The benefits definitely outweigh any negatives in my opinion.

Now what looks weird about Owls Head to me is the utter lack of crop fields surrounding the town. I know that avatars can just self-ressurect after they die a slow and painful death from hunger and starvation, but I feel pretty sorry for the average New Britannian citizen who seems to be relying on hunting deer or giant sausages raining from the heavens as gifts from the dev-gods. It must be a hungry existence.

Also New Britannian sausages are enormous. Like the wine bottles in Ferelden.

I do think there is a lack of a unified aesthetic currently with things such as viking period halls beside smock mills, and chainmail next to 18th century naval uniforms, for example. The tesla-punk stuff seems a little tacked on at the moment too so I am hoping they work on making all that feel more cohesive soon (for a tesla-punk world done right I would point to dishonoured - or maybe that is whale-oil-punk!). I imagine they'll work more on that stuff once they have all the core gameplay stuff done.

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think this has strayed a bit to far into the radio, which to be honest isn't the biggest part of my concerns)non really since I don't have to hear it when others play it.)

The biggest problem is the actual people placing stuff...it just looks really bad...to the point it looks completely random and not when someone would actually have as a home.

Amberraine and Sir Cabirus like this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Whoever thinks Owl's Head looks like a homeless shelter, should visit a homeless shelter.:oops:

FanofIolo, majoria70, smack and 5 others like this.
  13. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I do asume that in the real release most will definatly place a house and not modern art, i think many do not have the time and just do random stuff as they know it will be wiped soon.

smack likes this.
  14. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

or just put back the code I wrote to allow people to play other stations.

simple.

Caliya and smack like this.
  15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I think I am going to ask bubonic to publish our scene, cause all of that existed in the original I submitted.

they, for some reason, stripped that stuff out.

so all the suggestions I've seen here already exist.

16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Well, we be a little busy today =p

But, I did spend lunch at least tracking down the function set we submitted.

Its on an older asset version, so, w/e, but the functionality is there.

In Bubonic's original scene the radio was on a pedestal, which if you walked away, the sound diminished (I put the audio in as a 3D source).

That is the only thing lacking from these older versions, since this is not a walkaround scene demo:

MacOSX (pretty sure this works? Dont have a newer build ATM)

Win_x32

Win_x64

If anyone wants to try it on an android, working on my samsung Galaxy S3 (4.x and above IIRC), here is a raw .apk link

Just press the radio to open the GUI, and hit the power button to turn on/off

If anyone has a problem testing, let me know, I'll try to get sometime later to build newer versions (using Unity5).

Cheers.

E n v y likes this.
  17. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I can't agree more, some people really should feel bad about what they do with their housing plots.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  18. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Something compells me to ask because it is who i am...

Why such judgements ? Why can people not just be allowed to have their place being the way they wish? why do they have to be seen and then have things tossed in their direction that are perhaps to some less then pleasant?

Why such boundaries on what should and should not be allowed? Judged for the way they have their land set up... these are the things that I will never be able to follow or understand..

Why can they not be left to be free, to choose how they wish to live, to be themselves and just have people nod, shrug and move on. is it our place.. if they are not affecting us, if we do not like it, we do not need to look at it. Why so judgemental?

Something, that truly does not make any sense to me.. nor will it ever.. followers of rules and judgements confuse me.

Arianna, majoria70, Jynx and 3 others like this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's just silly....why have rules? Because the world doesn't work without them....people will do stupid things(more then normal) without rules to slow them down.....we even have rules on coffee to tell you that it is hot do we not?

You say it doesn't affect me....your right, I won't be physically or mentally affected....it is a game after all...but it makes owl's head look like crap....and I'm sure other areas. How do you not look at it when you walk into the city and it's every where? Hey look we can stack these items so high yeehaw.

It would be easy enough if we didn't have to see them...but we have no choice(at the moment) to see it. I always find it funny that some find they are being creative and awesome when in reality it is usually neither.

20. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

[​IMG]

Art or horrible crap? That is all in the eye of the beholder is it not?

And no there are no rules on the side of a cup of coffee, there are warnings. Nothing on a side of a cup of coffee says "do not dump this on yourself" it says "caution: may contain hot liquids". Warnings, are not rules. People will do stupid things without warnings, yes maybe. Yet, should it not be up to them if they wish to be stupid? And whose place is it to judge what is stupid? What is stupid or crazy to one person may be completely acceptable to another.

I can go through Owl's head without being affected negatively or seeing it look like crap due to ~points at painting above~ Art or crap?

Personally some of those great works, I actually enjoy. Karrin Murphy has a great example of a good build out of random pieces.

Warnings are not rules, and art is not crap - Picasso proved that point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.