Perplexed where to stand on new stuff that lowers value of old stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

Who here thinks a item is worth 2000 USD because that's what they bought it for?

Nope, it's worth 50cents.... sota just buttered you up, and you took a 2000 USD bite.

2. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well even in RL there are people that just think about their profit but that is not the case for everything and similar it is in SotA. Such wide generalizations or most of the time not true and not everyone buying an item thinks about reselling it with a profit. Actually there are a lot of people sharing their items with everyone passing by.
    I'm sorry you seem to have the impression that it is different.

Vladamir Begemot and Hornpipe like this.
  3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Just like UO, and other games have done for a long time. They will make something you think is rare and rehash it later on to drum up more cash flow or lack of originality in the art department.

This will happen with other homes or items, it all depends on the time from last use and demand.

4. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Unfortunately its the risk when you part with real money to obtain what ultimately is just a bunch of pixels....

Sea Bear likes this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If you buy something, even if it's just water you are cheated.

Tauschen = exchange
    Has it's root in
    Täuschen = deceive

Maybe you find something similar in your language.

Any Deal is trying to create win win, but this is most often not the case.

Duke Olahorand likes this.
  6. Numa

Numa Avatar

My "twinge" moment was when they reintroduced a skinnier & cheaper version of the air balloon as part of the aeronaut package. Didn't feel good then but I got over it after a while.

I think it depends on which side of the fence you're standing on. For example, I'm glad they made POT waterfront lots available so newer players wouldn't have to plunk down huge chunks of cash to get a place anywhere waterfront lot included in the higher level pledges. This move was good for both POT owners and the people living in the POT.

For those hoping to make a profit on their extra pledge waterfront lots this wasn't so good but then again anyone who wanted a prime waterfront property in Ardoris, the Brittany cities etc still had to get one of these limited waterfront deeds from the people who had one to spare.

Cordelayne and Dirk Hammerstrike like this.
  7. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

I bought a Samsung TV 1 year ago for USD 1800.00 2 months ago I saw the improved version of this TV for USD 890.00 at the same retailer- that's business and selling games is also business....

8. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

All i did was read first 2 posts.... You get the new smart phone on day one and pay 700 for it. Next week someone comes out with a better phone and a cheaper price. life.

MUCH LOVE!

Hornpipe likes this.
  9. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

What about the item that you bought for $200 and end up selling for $400, Hrm? ;)

Cream2 likes this.
  10. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

They are sharing basic items, in desperate hopes of people liking the game. So their stockpiles of telethon rewards are worth something

11. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

My point exactly, no one cares about fixing the game. They just want to play item trader.
    Exploit the whales

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think you summed up your concerns very well.

Because it's always going to be a speculative market, getting exactly what you want exactly when you want will usually come at a premium.

Had I known in advance there would be a City size Obsidian Tower, I would have no need to have purchased the town sized version. Had I known there would be Obsidian Walls, I would not have bought so much fencing. :)

I don't feel cheated though, I feel as if the world is simply changing, the economy is expanding, and the options are growing. The original Pavilion you bought is still limited to those that purchased it. It's still in a style that may be better suited for what the property owner is looking for (a non-Asian architecture). It's still usable and has value.

Another thing to consider is that prior to the new pavilion, there was no other option for players that were new to the game. They simply had to go out and buy one of these from other players. That meant the price was probably going to be higher (based on how long were were willing to wait or haggle), and it also meant that you probably had to pay cash unless you found someone willing to part with the item for in game gold.

Although this may not help your individual situation because you like the new pavilion better, having a new pavilion gives consumers more options, helps keep prices down overall, and of course helps fund development of the game.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

So the option is for Port to not get increasingly better so we preserve the value of old assets?:confused:

I suppose I'm just surprised that people are surprised that Port keeps surprising us with new assets.

I look forward to the obsidian, elven, viking and kobold Pavilions. You heard it here first!

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I want the Greco/Roman bundles... especially the Armor... :)

[​IMG]

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Leelu and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Sean Silverfoot and Spoon like this.
  17. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

What about buying antique cars, in all rights, I could pay $50,000 for a rare one, that looks worse, drives worse and IS worse in every way than the brand new on for $40,000.... BUT I still pay because it's rare.

Numa and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And whether it has original paint, or has been repainted, can make a difference of thousands of dollars in the price.

19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

The main concern of the OP is something that has happened again and again during SotA's development, time after time after time, starting from just after the Kickstarter ended.(Remember the whole founders vs benefactors thing?)

In pretty much every instance, Port has chosen the path of short-term-cash over long-term-loyalty. I wouldn't expect that to change now.

20. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Exactly. So make your decisions knowing their predictable behaviour. I sold the 4 pavilions that came with our metro knowing that at some point a "nicer" pavilion would come along because... well it's obvious. Pavilions are awesome. Why wouldn't/shouldn't they make other versions?

They have since adjusted their behavior with our outcrys of devaluing rares by adding dates to in game descriptions, not returning items to the addon store or completely reskinning items (not surprisingly).

Some people are just convinced that Portalarium is trying to screw everyone instead of running a business. These guys crush it every month. Might not always be on things you wished they were crushing it on but they work hard.

I do find it odd that they have made so many blunders in the devaluing of rares in the past knowing that Ultimate Collector was the game occupying the grey matter prior to SotA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.