Perplexed where to stand on new stuff that lowers value of old stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Exactly... I chose one to go with my POT, but I'm not using it... I actually use a Greenhouse for my Crafting "Pavilion," just because I like the look of it... The old pavilion doesn't fit my town, and neither does the new.
    Again, agreed... They've listened to complaints, and adjusted their behavior to preserve the rarity of the older, discontinued items... Rarity/Availability are the only Objective measures of Value... To me, subjectively, the Old Crafting Pavilion has more value because it is discontinued... The new one less because it's not... I like the visual of the new one better, though I think three stories is a little over the top, but I can see how that would be attractive to some... I also can appreciate that others would like the Old Pavilion better because it fits their theme better... But those are all highly individual, subjective, measures of Value... Should Portalarium take a poll of every account that possesses a discontinued item before they release a similar one and ask permission? Should they NOT release the newer item if Any current owner objects? Or are they limited to "Oh, we made a crafting pavilion once upon a time and discontinued it... now we can never make another one... Sad." So long as they don't reintroduce discontinued items, they're controlling the only Objective measure of value... Supply... Demand is not something they control.
    Hear, Hear.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I never suggested that anyone was malicious, nor that new items aren't welcome.

I feel that some care should be taken with new items that they are not priced less than the discontinued items originally were.

Spoon and Weins201 like this.
  3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

The original was $80 and sold 1/2 price at $40 and the current is $100 and sells half price at $50.

Did you mean vs aftermarket value?

4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I think there are two solutions to this which developers need to think about.

1. Not to make similar items so they retain value.
    2. have them offer upgrades to existing if they make one that is better (like that of bundles offer upgrades on similar items as an option.)

You are right though that if a new better looking model comes out people will be more likely to take over an older in some cases. Unless they are looking for specific style In which case it would be better to offer similar design with new style as to not reduce value of existing.

Duke Olahorand likes this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I remember the 80, not the forty. My memory is not photographic, so... I don't know how to deal with after market prices, some other folks have ideas there. This one has twice the space, so should command 120 or better in my opinion.

We just need consistent behavior, so we know what to expect. It is not that I am heartbroken, just questioning if this all makes sense.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I feel as though Portalarium has been very loyal over the 4 years of development. I don't think that there are good examples to the contrary. Only examples of people looking at everything from the worst possible angle, or being so inflexible that there was no possible way to meet their expectations but to meet a very rigid standard.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I like the scrapping idea, that would clear up a bunch of the little tiny benefactor houses that most people don't like.

And I agree @Tahru, the Shogun Pavilion should probably have cost more. It's fantastic.

Other than that, keep on keepen on. Find bugs and smash them.

Tahru likes this.
  8. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

That's not true. I cared deeply for the game until Port made made a radical design shift, abandoning single player concerns. Then I became interested in selling my assets which had become devalued and diluted because my definition of unique and limited differs from Port's definition of those terms.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Manerd, 3devious and Weins201 like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What is the definition of Similar? Once they produce a Pavilion and discontinue it, should they be forever prohibited from producing another Pavilion?
    Another subjective term... if you can't define it with objective terms then you can't achieve the goal.
    Is Natalie Portman better looking than Jennifer Lawrence? Both are lovely... The answer to the question is very much up to the individual and always right for that individual.

10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

So... no one gets similar items because other ones already exist? Seems fair.

Xee and Sempiternal Dragon like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Personally, I prefer the older looking one. I'm not a fan of much of the Japanese-themed stuff. It always feels out of place, except in the towns that use the style exclusively. But I am an overly snobby aesthetic medievalist. So you can probably ignore me.

As for releasing new/better versions of old items- I would assume that this will be a regular thing. I work in 3D modelling (for manufacture, not games/animation) and the stuff I made this month is better than what I made last month. Hell, what I made today was better than what I made yesterday. That's generally a good thing. I would expect the artists that work on this now will always be getting better and putting out better assets than what currently exists. Admittedly, it is slightly more of an issue given that we've likely paid real dollars for these things, and will be jealous when the new thing is better than what we already have. But I would much rather have that than stagnation because new things make people mad.

12. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Id say sure if they discontinued an item they should not be replacing it with new as others already exist. that would make object value worth more and demand for these objects.

fair enough on the 2nd one. one persons view is different then another. :)

Weins201 likes this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So, there are some sixty-some thousand backers... Some small percentage of them have one of the original, now discontinued, crafting pavilions which is a very useful piece of deco... Your position is that those are all the crafting pavilions of any shape, form or fashion that should ever exist in the game, and all the (hopefully) hundreds of thousands of player to come in the future, through 5 episodes and beyond, should never have the opportunity to purchase a crafting pavilion even if it looks substantially different from the original.

Just making sure I understand your position clearly.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Actually, I would just like if the devs put wooden shelters in the game as deco objects so we could construct our own crafting pavilions out of the building blocks...

See this post in my thread on low-hanging fruit..

We have plenty of these shelters in the game, just not available to players,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Imagine just placing a shelter adjacent to the front of a building, to create a shop area or blacksmith's work area,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much more useful than just new cash shop items.

15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Sure why not :) I don't have one. my crafting area is in another building which I share openly with players. I don't need that specific building to have a crafting area and if I did want one I would seek it out from another player. its a pretty simple solution.
    a crafting pavilion is just a building with the name crafting attached to it. or as the poster above stated id prefer to have the materials to make my own area.

Sempiternal Dragon likes this.
  16. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Sorta makes sense to retain the value. The economy is very important to the game, after all.

Xee likes this.
  17. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I would have to agree with that.

18. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Exactly.

Sempiternal Dragon likes this.
  19. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

No what I am saying is if they want one they should buy it from another player that has one as the economy is important. that is what creates the demand and creates the value for those that invest. Like that of Telethon. $5 can get you a lot of items that should not be brought back into the game thus creating value to those that support. Others can still get them through trade. I would also recommend that they look at ways to get people items with out requiring an investment that are limited as well. some games do in game events for such things.

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I respectfully disagree with your position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.