Player Town Designs

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

2. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

4. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I re-did an earlier design without the lots on it. Added some more features but simplified the harbour part.

[​IMG]

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

TY I can use this with my thread, now if the designer can place the type of biome and town size there we can get an idea of who wants what and work together to build a template for each town and biome and not let someone else design theirs and have it fed to us.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  6. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Thanks Blake, I like this thread very much. It is very visual -- it may need descriptions where needed like Rufus D`Asperdi pointed out if it impacts the explanation of an image.

Everyone, when I met with Portalarium a few weeks ago (and I was nervous and excited at the same time), I took whatever templates/designs I could print out from the forums - they were not all that easy to find -- now they can be here. The printouts allowed us to talk specifically about what is easy, medium, hard, or un-doable. I hope to have that discussion again soon as we look over progress on the PaxLair template and I will share results to everyone.

So yes, I suggest whatever is publicly posted and can be found, it be added here (I hope the moderators don't mind a "little" cross posting/consolidation -- it is for a very good cause -- saves Dev time I think). Also, new template and scene design ideas can be added as well. Other threads have more discussion in them within the Player Owned Town forum as we know.

I will be adding the FINAL PaxLair submission images here, and to the PaxLair Player Owned Town Test for R17 thread with details tomorrow morning. I submitted the final designs today, and the results are already updated in the PaxLairR16.jpg image that is online -- we are using the image in the PaxLair PoT Roll-out Plan for R17 - events, news, housing, open to communities discussion to show what housing has been allocated.

UPDATE (4/16): I changed this map to PaxLairR17Num.jpg which is our final design, and housing lots are numbered too.

Metropolis: (total houses: 133)
    • Castle - 1
    • City - 4
    • Town - 13
    • Village - 63
    • Row - 52

[​IMG]

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Also, the scenes are 1 km x 1 km (all sized POTs the same) which is roughly 16 and two thirds city lots end to end.

8. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Good Point. All of the designs above would need to be reworked to Portalarium guidelines in order to submit as a template.

Hopefully some of the ideas can be merged together and updated to what Port could work with.

If you see someone with a design in this thread that is similar to yours, you should shoot a pm to that person and see if you can merge the two to make a template for submission. i.e. same bio, similar water feature, etc.

Themo, your designs are really good, a great guide to look at if anyone else wants make a template for submission.

Strike while the iron is hot. Paxlair is rolling out in R17, POTS are moving to the front burner, and its time to get templates in. We know the standards now(roughly). :D

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

These are the most recent versions of my templates after being adjusted to be more to scale and edited by request from other town owners so they can also be used for their towns.

Underground Template
    [​IMG]

Island Template
    [​IMG]

Clustered Rural Template
    [​IMG]

Crater / Caldera Template
    [​IMG]

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Mine was resized and scaled to the 1x1 km. requirement.

11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

These 3 designs look a lot a like to me and could probably be shaped up into one template. If you use your imagination on Rufus' map, the biome could be easily changed with the water taken away and make it a canyon with suspension bridges, change it to ice and have a winter wonderland, or throw it in a caldera and you have made Amber a happy camper.. Jat's is the same way. Just need to make sure these can be scaled to fit all sizes of POT.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Mine scales easily... It was designed to be used from Hamlet to Metropolis, with options for each size.
    I'm sure someone with more specific knowledge of the requirements of template design and the specifics of Unity 5 might well be able to do as you suggest, Lord Blackstone.

Senash's could be approximated in my town center, though we now know it would be difficult if not impossible to recreate given the limitation revealed over the last few days.

Jatvardur's and mine do bear a striking resemblance... You would simply need to raise the water table to flood the presumptive downstream end of mine.

Good eye, Lord Blackstone.

13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

There is definitely resemblance, but I prefer having more coast than just having a river run through.

The lot layout I proposed above matches a city, but it isn't restricted to that size. There is plenty space for growth, and it wouldn't look weird if many lots were erased either.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I believe the template could serve both if there were relief built into the template... Higher elevations on the upstream (North on mine, South on yours) and Lower downstream... possibly with a break in the geography to the downstream side of our islands. A cliff/waterfall. The intent being that the Ocean would fill that lower downstream section of your template, providing coastline, while mine would simply have a river running through it.

Let's continue this conversation in the conversation rather than in both places. :)

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

how do we know POTs are 1k x 1k?

For all sizes only diff is housing allocations?

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  16. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

As you can see from the PaxLair Test thread, Darkstarr has informed them (and therefore, us) that all PoT sizes will use the same land area, approximately 1000x1000m2, but it's possible they might be able to move the exits closer to a section smaller PoTs allocate from any given template.

We should still be able to make some template variations, like a longer skinnier template rather than a perfectly square template, as long as it covers the same area. (Example: Owl's Head is quite a bit taller than it is wide). I like the idea of a long skinny template following a river or canyon or coastline, or mountain side. ;-)

17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It is important to understand the difference between a template and a POT. Template is the small amount of reusable maps that define topography, geographic features and which areas can be broken into housing plots. These templates will be used by every single player owned town. So far the only templates we know of is the Paxlair scene and scenes that are already in game like Kingsport, Ardoris, Valemark (which the devs have said they like the idea of them being reused for player owned towns). POTs are later created from these templates by choosing a biome, plot count and placement (within the defined housing areas), picking NPC buildings and MAYBE some other small customisations. We do not have concrete information on the exact process as the process is still being defined and tested with the introduction of the first of these areas in R17 (Paxlair). What we do know is the information shared with us by Winfield and his team (yes i am on that team) from the experience of creating Paxlair, and the small amount of information added by Darkstarr accompanied by a DLMB. The entire process has been transparent and open for those that attended the scheduled events and meetings over the last few months and it continues to be so.

18. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I agree that some higher elevations would be nice for my design too. I want the majority of the land to be flat, but that wouldn't exclude a hill / mountain. Stating this publicly in the slim chance that the devs love what we've done and use it to influence the template design. :p

19. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Here's my hamlet... so far... dlmb...

[​IMG]
    ...I'm still thinking of only going with a reduced lot count hamlet... which would only be the four town lots and village lots 1-6.

This is clipped out of the larger 1km sq image... which would look like this:

[​IMG]
    ... lots of space for more trees... :)

(edit: revised the top image to add a few more roads.)

20. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

So it seems we have 4 really close designs which could be a good foundation of a template.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The 3 designs above need to be put together to look like this one below:
    [​IMG]
    The pic above could be on either side of the center island to make room for bigger town design. Basically, the island would be the town center and the bigger it gets it would expand out into themo's design. With possibly some more elevation changes and maybe a lake or two. Again, when I see these I see them being easily changed into different biomes if we could merge all of the ideas onto a single template.

Jatvardur and Gaelis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.