Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Return Damage Resistance Back To Pre-53

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Welcome to forced offline game ;).

2. coffeeislife

coffeeislife Avatar

The amount of fun I had in this game since launch has just dropped like a stone. I don't want to play light or medium armour, but I now feel like an idiot running around in full plate, fizzling my spells all over the place. What's more surprising is the incredible lack of contact from the devs, apart from one post stating the DR change was justified and here to stay. I have no issue with capping DR or something, but don't make plate worthless... Also, might do the devs good to communicate a bit more. Talk to people that are actually playing the game, and make changes based on that perhaps? Let us know a fix is in the works please, don't want to waste time on a game I'm starting to get bored by...

Deadly Habit, Arkrilok, Almar and 4 others like this.
  3. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I was wondering, why in R52 mobs couldn't hurt me at all. Welcome back exciting gameplay. :D

Elwyn, Feeyo, jschoice and 1 other person like this.
  4. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'm afraid you echo my feelings. Although a friend recently contacted me to help me re-spec my build due to the recent plate-destroying changes, I have had no desire to get in-game since the nerf. I'll log in to check my vendor and log back off. Hope I can get my motivation back to play - but this has been a very disappointing and a game-killing change for me at the moment.

StrangerDiamond, Almar and Cordelayne like this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yup and as Chris has said "a handful of players" complained... so he had to roll back his nerf, a lil. I choked on my coffee when reading this.

And for those who believe we get ANY attention with our ragequit posts... HAH... lemme laugh, I'm just a pleb with my 1500$ investment... they don't need me anymore since they got the whales and the publishers.

So haha... if I leave with my constructive feedback, good riddance, if someone cares or gave me a BIT of attention believe me I would know.

Its the contrary... they look down on you now, you're more than worthless welcome to the undesirable misfits.

By Tor likes this.
  6. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

The water elemental heals much more often now after the latest release, and using it I have had no problems with my same grind in deep ravenswood using same plate armor and dual swords (adv lvl 85.)

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

A good argument for the sempiternal hybrid build that does not allow us to "play the game as ourself, as intended"...

If I'm a freakin warrior I don't care if your game is classless, let me play a warrior.

Gorthyn, By Tor, Almar and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

The real issue here is that Chris did improve things just a tiny bit. As @kaeshiva stated recently, it is nearly impossible to get to the new cap he created. It's a joke. My defensive innates and active skills don't get much better without literally applying like a hundred million more XP. Even IF I added one hundred million more XP to my skills, and wore full plate, I am not going to be at 80% (the new cap). This is just not OK. I have 4.8 million XP invested in one of the earth innates, and it gives me about 6% more max damage resistance! 6%...

9. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

Let's be fair to @Chris please. He saw a problem which was unbalancing to the game and decided it needed to be fixed. Developers regularly make changes to their game balance and I agree with Chris a change needed to occur. That being said, the fix makes plate an unattractive option in comparison to other choices (as the fix is currently implemented), builds innocently built around the previous developer implemented design are now broken, this change was made post launch after 100% skill unlearn was withdrawn. It is the fact that many players, who have grinded and spent their EXP toward a goal, a design previously allowed by developers for months, were not given the same options of skill unlearn at 100% which is my major gripe on this issue, which I have mentioned several times on this thread.

I have said my peace and read the many comments, feel everything that needed to be said has been.

Quenton, Feeyo, Nikko and 4 others like this.
  10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

If this were the first, or even the fifth, time since persistence that the devs have nullified a style of play with a balance patch, there would probably be more sympathy for them. The mathematical underpinnings of SOTA are built on soft earth, build high enough and it sinks under the weight and tilts. The only solution the devs commit to is limiting the height of buildings.

Cordelayne and Gorthyn like this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Do you guys have a full set of meteoric plate with meteoric bindings and the 2 damage resist masterworks on each piece? Because so far everyone I've reached out to in this thread was either using sub par equipment or a very inefficient deck setup.

You should try and maximize your damage resistance and try to rework your deck if this is still such a game changer for you. I will gladly help, just send me a pm.

The bottom line was players were using hardly any of the available options to maximize DR, yet is was giving them results that were just way too powerful. And on the other end the players that had everything maxed for DR and using very efficient decks were literally taking no damage from physical attacks. It was broken. It needed to be fixed.

12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I don't think anyone was arguing to the contrary. We all recognize that the mechanic needed to be fixed. Unfortunately, it has now made plate armor redundant when compared to other armors, like chain or bone, due to their lower fizzle and versatility. I have amazing sets of high end gear of both Obsidian Plate and Meteoric Plate, and yes, since Chris raised resistance I am a lot more viable. People's main concern is that plate armor isn't balanced when compared to chain or bone for example. The DR increase from chain to plate is negligible when compared to how high fizzle increases when wearing plate. It's even worse when you look at Bone armor, which is light. Bone has very low fizzle and comparable DR to plate. Ergo, what is the point of using plate currently other than for cosmetic purposes? Plate should have high fizzle, but it should also have significantly higher DR than chain and bone.

13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I must have read the title of the thread wrong then

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

No, no you didn't :D

In the earlier pages we were griping about the original nerf to all heavy armor. Chris did increase DR, after hearing our pleas. Now, we "small handful" of plate wearers are asking for better balance of plate armor because it's been made somewhat useless when compared to other armors. The benefits don't really outweigh the negatives currently, when compared to high end chain or bone armors.

By Tor likes this.
  15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Do you have the numbers? I never said anything about it being balanced compared to bone or chain.

Would help to see fizzle numbers for chain and for plate to compare. Along with the numbers that they provide defensively. I've been following this thread from the beginning, but maybe I missed where it is posted?

16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I'm at work so I don't have access now. I will try and post them tomorrow.

Adam Crow likes this.
  17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'm at work too, or I would do it myself.

I didn't come here to argue balance tho, I totally understand what you're talking about, and i bet the numbers are messed up at the moment. But there was a definite problem before that drastically effected gameplay that needed to be fixed asap.

I was just trying to make a point that before anyone up and quits over it, maybe they should try some different armor and different deck setups until balance is worked out more. Maybe go buy some chain armor in the meantime. I know a guy that makes some pretty good stuff, and if you tell him I sent you, I'm positive he will give you a good deal ;)

This game is all about adapting to changes. Balance for so many things is still a long ways off, and there is still a ton of work to do in that department. I have 1000's of hours in the game and I min/max a bit so Ive been burned more times than i can count. Every release I expect to have to make changes in my approach in some way or another. Sure it stings at times, but for me I get a lot of enjoyment trying to figure out what I can do to solve the new issues my character is presented with each and every release.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I can appreciate your sentiment and I have tried other armors/builds, which showed me that currently plate is not balanced when compared with others. I also have no issues with adapting to changes. I have already done this multiple times by investing in multiple magic "trees" when I had no intention of ever doing so. My issue is, I am not a min/max person, and I don't have the time to invest in the game like others (I play 2-4 hours a week). So for me, drastic changes like the ones that occurred this release (and before) really set me back. Every time this happens, it just makes it more difficult and less fun for me because I feel like I am taking the proverbial, "One step forward and two steps back."

I don't disagree that balancing things are still a long way off. This release proved that in more ways than just the ones we are espousing here! ;) Maybe I was just a little naive in believing that with launch a lot of these armor/skill balances would already have been finalized...or at least close to. Granted "tweeks" here and there would have to occur, but I never imagined it to be to this level. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

discipleofweb and By Tor like this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Totally understand, things like this can be devastating to players that don't have a lot of time to play. After getting to a point where they feel comfortable its like the rug gets pulled out from under them. And that's not fun for anyone, even those that play a lot.
    Not a lot of games allow you to do everything at any time. The balance issues of this game will always be here, it's the nature of the beast. Every time something big is implemented its going to cause issues because there is no specific classes that limit playstyles.

I can see how that can be frustrating, but that's one of the reasons why I'm still playing. It keeps things fresh and exciting.

By Tor and Cordelayne like this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The simple conclusion to this thread is that the change was aimed at elite players, once again. Because THEY had 100% resist it meant that it was too powerful (of course why even need to mention it).

Problem is that we casual players have never even dreamt of having 100% resist... not in YEARS.

I was standing at 36.4 resist for a long while as I needed to focus on improving other skills... I was BARELY able to handle a tier 4 zone, where it was BEGINNING to get interesting progression-wise... and I say that very conservatively... it was an INSANE grind IMO.

The first patch sent me to 18-20 resist... now that was the ragequit worthy material.

But thats not all... ALL the damage resistance skills I had sunk so much xp in were also HALF effectiveness.

It's like you aimed at that build, aimed at casual players and kicked as hard as you can.

I was getting killed by 2 brown spiders... hello something is wrong this is EPIC MAGIC PLATEMAIL, and I've been killing those spiders for YEARS, YEARS. And those wolves... YEARS too.

Sorry if I'm yelling but this convo should not end in a oh yeah but okay...

After the patch... how much resist you think I have ? 26,4...

It's like you saw me on the ground bleeding from a 6 inch wound and told me hey all I got is this bandaid man, and sorry I can't handle blood so do it yourself.

Really its that bad, because noone is listening to my pain... all we're admitting is that a "handful" of players complained.

What about the other several handful who are used not to complain because they know they lose social standing here ?

Oh... right...

And what about those who just follow blindly and don't even realize its them that were nerfed and think the enemies have simply been enhanced ?

How can they know, right, by min maxing, which caused the "problem" in the first place.

I'm sorry but you all can say what you want, my gameplay wasn't unbalanced at all... I was pulling what... 1-2000 gp per gold session, hardly game breaking material from any POV.

I mean just thinking that my little pathetic self needed to be nerfed, is... theres no word for it.

Gregg247, Boris Mondragon and By Tor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.