1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

POLL: All Content Available in Offline Mode?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 20, 2016.

?

Is it OK to allow access to ALL add ons and pledge rewards in Offline mode?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Maybe the question should be rephrased as this, "is it ok for the team to focus on adding the remaining contents and features instead of spending time on implementing the DRM to block the in-game features in the offline mode?"

The game itself is already $45 for single offline mode. No one is gonna pay more than that unless those add-ons or expansion are at Skyrim DLC level.

Wouldn't you want to try to make an appeal to those offline players to try the game and maybe one day they will try online mode and pay for add-console us?

It would be meaningless if you have all these goodies, but there are no one to show to. How many days people gonna enjoy staring at the castle alone?

All these pledges and add-ons are all for paying for development. Many people either don't care if the offline mode have it all or they rather want the dev team to finish what they start instead of trying to work on the content blocker that people who know coding can reverse engineer it.

Katrina Bekers and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  2. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Here's my issue.. sometimes i have cash rolling, sometimes i don't. If people are limited by cash flow, then only people playing the game will be the wealthy. I would feel really discouraged from playing this if I didn't have the same opportunities as everyone else.
    Game needed pledges and add on store items to fund the creation of the game, and the ones who contributed really helped.. I don't want to see anyone loose the value of their purchase either.
    The bonus for pledges are pretty minor except for the crafting tables, mostly really cool looking bling. Elf armor is no better then chain really.. houses are houses.. rent free deed is nice but they helped fund the game.. so that works perfect.
    Town owners don't really gain any extra land, just permission to design the lots and censor residents..
    Bling is pretty worthless unless you can show it off... so offline mode for trying things out is great.

3. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

If the game picks up a following of just one quarter of the people that played Ultima Online, then all purchased items will sky rocket in value.. if people feel its pay to play, number of players could radically drop. I can't show off unless we fill the world up :p and can't do that unless it feels like a level playing field.

4. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Apologize for rambling on.. but I would say it's really well balanced right now ( outside of crafting tables :p ) and mostly all bling.. but the world doesn't run of reality, it runs on the perception of reality. If people can test in offline mode, they will see the reality of it more. Bling is a sign of helping the game.

Duchess Fionwyn and 4EverLost like this.
  5. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

They were silenced due to 96.6% of there heads being cut off :)

6. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

We can fix the reviews before launch by writing our own and giving likes to people who know what the game really is. Too many judged the game as a final product and not as a game in design.

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  7. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

That's part of the danger of Early Access on Steam; once the game is actually out, then it can be judged on its own merits.

8. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

I don't want to see any flavor and fluff items that are *specifically* tailored to online play, in the offline mode. I don't ever want to even see item descriptions that pull me out of the immersion, by telling me that it's special in some online related way, which would mean that it's isolated and has no history in the game itself, even though it will have a name that would resonate to you, make you want to know more about it.

Somehow I just don't know what exactly all of this entails. Older Ultima games never had ridiculous special items with names that were obviously not meant to be repeated by the inhabitants of those worlds. Do you want to see a serious, story driven medieval themed roleplaying game, all offline, immersed in that world, and then you fall over something like, maybe: "Sword of the collector". "Ring of the baron". What baron anyway? Who're these guys and why doesn't anybody tell you? And this is just mild stuff. Could get worse.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Say what? You can fix the reviews by making your own?

Alexander and Katrina Bekers like this.
  10. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

People will look for the comments that are most current and most liked.. we the people can decide which comments are most liked.

11. light487

light487 Avatar

Voted yes because I intend to play this as single-player in the first instance and online in the second.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I said everything i had to say in the dev+ section.
    I will stay with "yes".

13. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

These items won't just pop up into your inventory in offline mode, you have to "seek" for them. Either from vendors or crafting, which you can choose to ignore them. I mean who's here browse all items on Amazon.com and questioned the origins from these items. Most likely they would only care about what they're seeking, right?

14. SeeM

SeeM Avatar

Offline MMO alone is like single player D&D, but I know people who played alone on their own shards of Ultima Online.

15. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

True, but the point is that SotA is not a classic MMO. They are making a game with MMO mechanics and systems along with a single-player mode. Is not something similar to Elite Dangerous, where you can play offline sharing all your assets with the online mode.

16. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Right. Not even a weird aircar with laser beams!

Oh, wait...

Sir Cabirus and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  17. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Rigging reviews have been shown, time and again, that doesn't work at all; and more often than not, backfire horrendously.

18. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Anyone upset about this would be so rightfully, as Portalarium made a promise of exclusivity that would clearly be broken. A majority vote does not justify breaking any promises made for obtaining funding. I voted no in this poll and believe that the right thing would be to offer people who bought into this game based on false promises a limited-time refund. If you are sure that a real 95% of paying customers are happy that is not much risk.

In any other case I guess those of us feeling cheated by the broken promises will now get their iron-clad proof of the lack of Portalarium's business ethics

19. svartelric9

svartelric9 Avatar

I see no problem with making all content available offline, if it doesn't leak online. So my vote is yes!

Celthon likes this.
  20. willyum

willyum Avatar

I vote 'yay', because I never play the online component of games anyway, and as a backer it'd be nice to see the stuff I pledged for show up in game, without having to turn to mods.

Celthon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.