1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q1 2016 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I see this repeated alot but then never by anyone who has actually looked on the numbers. It is as if people don't know that we can follow the progress on the main site. Here is a link to the excel sheet that @smack has which has taken that data since the inception.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...0R5Lt2Rl0H2k/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1917396547
    Please note that this is only the backer info, Portalarium has other undisclosed income as well. So this is not the total revenue of the company, nor the project.
    Summary of the cash raised through pledging after kickstarter:
    Raised 2013 Q2 260285
    Raised 2013 Q3 190449
    Raised 2013 Q4 434938
    Raised 2014 Q1 744567
    Raised 2014 Q2 705185
    Raised 2014 Q3 444764
    Raised 2014 Q4 641698
    Raised 2015 Q1 638635
    Raised 2015 Q2 473758
    Raised 2015 Q3 804606
    Raised 2015 Q4 558970

The money raised from backers remain solid, 2014 and 2015 both ended with about $2.5M.
    You might want to note that Q3 2015 was the best quarter to date. (Due to the August deadline making August 2015 the best month since Kickstarter).
    There is no negative trend there, nor is there any big increase, just steady dependable income. Which has let Portalarium increase their staff just as steadily.
    I think that it is my POT you are refering to here.
    My buying that POT never had anything to do with perceived $ value or investment. Instead the whole concept of running a POT and the opportunities that concept enabled me in terms of giving back to the gaming comunity that gave me so much back when I had much less. Especially for those with less means. So I saw that money even back then as SPENT on future fun. You can still see my initial reasoning of this and my plans on how to give back and give opportunities for base level pledgers - if you follow the link. Those posts are unedited since then specifically to preserve such statements in their initial state.
    So if that was directed to me as an owner it is moot - I have already got lots of fun out of that SPENT money, and I will definately have much more fun with it going forward. And to me the features I have got and thus the perceived value to me personally has been ever increasing during the last year. (Big cudos for Dynamic POT Design - they are great @DarkStarr , it gives me so much more flexibility than I could even imagine back then).
    But then again I skipped the kickstarter and waited until the development was in a steady state and only did a basic pledge first and researched & tried everything out for MONTHS before comitting to the game and any further pledging. So I had none of the illusions like so many others have suffered from.

But if I take your question at face value, then uhm you haven't been following the Player Marketplace at all, have you? I could sell my initial POT purchase easily and for a profit of at least +25% probably more closer to +40% if I wanted to. So the actual monetary value as determined by the players has gone way UP.

So not only is my own personal perceived value of that SPENT money higher than expected, but also the number of features and customization we have got on POTs is higher than initially promised (more sandbox - less static implementations) letting me implement more of my ideas than I thought, and finally the actual monetary value of it is also higher.

Where I think you might be right though is that I agree that there is a lot of wishful thinking from owners who hasn't done enough research which will lead to a bunch of them being dissapointed come launch.

2. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I'd really like to see better loot rewards off marauders who had gathered materials from previous locations they had plundered; raw mats, salvageable weapons/armor and a bonus for killing the seige "leader"... rare dyes perhaps or maybe even major materials for crafting, like white iron sheets for example.

I think the successful defense of a town should also provide an additional buff for the town to "rebuild". A nice 24 hour critical bonus to crafting maybe?

-Grave

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I dunno Spoon, if you look at 2013, 2014, 2015 they raised MILLIONS.

Look at 2016, it only raised 40k. That is a DRASTIC decrease in funding, like 2% of previous years. How do you pay an entire team of employees with 40k raised!?

ᴵ ᴷᴵᴰ

4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Have we seriously already raised 40K in under a week? If I win the powerball maybe the devs DON'T need me to kick a few million their way.

5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd still do it... teach those children what a 'whale' really is.

6. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Thank you ever so much Starr. Being the least tech savvy person you will ever meet, I have died, wandered , fought, and just about roamed to every place I could in game. So far I love this game. Sure there are things I do not notice, or even know to be aware of , but then again, I play for the enjoyment of the game. This game is my home away from stress and my alter ego has to answer to no one but the Devs. Their are so many wonderful people in game, that I guess I simply choose to not see how slow I walk when I bump into a guard, or freeze while trying to play my favorite songs. The music , the graphics, the players , make a game for me. Thank you and your staff for a wonderful experience in the not alpha creation of a game. I have learned quite a lot, and envy your knowledge. Best regards always. A simple Avatar.:)

7. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Any confirmation yet on when the last ACTUAL wipe will be? That is from when everything will become fully persistent?

KuBaTRiZeS, smack, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Right before game launch I'd assume.

9. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Don't care about assumptions. Given the mixed messages in this thread, I'd prefer some confirmation.

Logain, Ice Queen and Leelu like this.
  10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

did darkstarr confirm that "final" wipe did not actually mean "final" wipe? I might have missed it but from what I've seen he has not changed or clarified that statement. So as of now, the final wipe is the last actual wipe.

11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

No actual date yet Ashlynn.

smack and Leelu like this.
  12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

logic in the gaming industry generally states that there will always be one final wipe before the game goes live.

i do think that is going to happen...but i think there's more to it than that.

the final pre-release wipe will be when they leave pre-alpha and they are considered systems complete (meaning all life-support systems are implemented, maybe not finished, but implemented).
    once the game is about to go live, they take a snapshot of all the player-crafted items in the game, do the final wipe, and push the snapshot to the world for mob loot, drops, rewards in dungeons, etc. -then let us have at it.

that is the logic i'd pull from all of their communications, including this one in this thread.

that is a lot of puzzling and presumptions though, i'd like a confirmation on a strategy for this.. @DarkStarr, is it anything near the logic i just pulled out of my...er...uh...yeah.

13. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

The last few posts are why I asked. Sean's seems the most accurate but yes - I don't know. And yet a "final wipe" has been mentioned in a dev post which adds to the confusion

I've no ulterior motives - I just want to know from what date anything I do will become a permanent thing in the game world.

Logain, Leelu, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

Sounds like a great question for the upcoming Telethon...if they so choose to answer it there. :)

15. agra

agra Avatar

To me, that means that goal, when met, will be the final wipe, ever. That's it. No more. None after that point, for the life of the game. The point in time beyond which all your progress will forever be preserved.

However, I'm sure confusion will continue to reign. ;)

Leelu, smack and ThurisazSheol like this.
  16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'm certain it will..even after it happens and we see it for what it is. it is in our nature.

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I would consider this an important enough issue, and a dramatic enough original statement, that it doesn't belong in a hangout. It should be clarified without us having to ask and hope it gets answered.

18. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Bingo;

All things considered, I think it was an unfortunate choice of words... possibly a result of typing w/corpion juice

in a game that's had this lengthy access to a PRE Alpha state I certainly expect to see an "Alpha"and a Beta. The "Final wipe" should be that thing (the great equalizer) we ALL experience for actual Launch.

But yes Please @DarkStarr please post the clarification

19. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

There will be some big announcements about lot placement order before the world is persistent. Unless the housing rush has been announced the final wipe will still just be the final wipe of alpha/beta/whatever but will not be the game launching or going "live."

Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

In theory, I 100% agree. But until Darkstarr confirms or denies, all is heresy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.