1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q1 2016 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Yes, can't disagree. Just wanted to specualate when will full contents(at least part 1) be revealed.

2. agra

agra Avatar

Even just completing the 30 scenes they need to finish the story, that's only 4 working days per scene, from today.
    To say nothing of the housing scenes required for pledgers to place, and over a dozen other systems/mechanics that need optimization, polish, tuning, tweaking, balance, finishing, innovation, etc.

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This gets me mad, imbedding a new unfounded accusation into a post disguised as being apologetic. If you hate the game give your constructive feedback on how to make it better. Know that certain things won't change at this point. Express your disappointment but please stop trying to spread unfounded rumors. Thank you.

4. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

The final wipe date and house placement schedule are coming by the end of the month.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=55916

licemeat, Ice Queen and Max. like this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Looking forward to it. I logged in the other day after about 6 months and it was like a new player experience for me. there were some changes but also I've been away so long. I haven't been reading much stuff and have been keeping away from any wikis etc.

I'm looking forward to giving solid feedback from the perspective of a new player as much as possible. I haven't a clue what to expect other than I've heard there are player owned towns and stuff out there (which I've never seen). Since I stopped before POTs, I'm guessing there are a few changes I have no clue about, and I'm going to experience it all fresh and do the best I can to give a logical and fair evaluation after January 28th.

I'll do my best to read the release notes before posting any bugs (otherwise I will be reading the release notes like a normal first time player as well). I'm definitely looking forward to release ... what number are we on now? we're in the 20s right? in any case playing this game for the first time will be exciting all over again.

Heradite and Miracle Dragon like this.
  6. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I've been in a lot of betas and alphas and I don't think a developer has ever used the words "final wipe" to refer to anything other than the very last time they will ever wipe.

I see no reason an intelligent person like Starr would use that phrase ambiguously.

Unless he's trolling everyone haha

7. Kacey Cupcakes

Kacey Cupcakes Avatar

ACTUALLY, the money for the Tito's does NOT come from YOUR dollars, they come from mine, and others who care. People who know and understand that all work and no play make Jack a dull game. They are donated.
    As far as the "robots " go, if you are referring to the telepresence robot that enables RG to work AND see his family, I am not sure your dollars were spent on that, but it allows him to fulfill his duties to the game and his family. Both are important. Sheeeeeeeesh

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  8. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

"Final wipe" is indeed interesting. My uneducated opinion is that it will mean that we won't see a wipe for actual release of episode 1. The benefit of this will be that portalerium can still sell the tax free pledges to players after the final wipe as a way for people to decide if they want a house after having invested enough time in character development.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Balron

Balron Avatar

Is there any update on the other tiered rewards? For instance, when the published book from Terry Hickman will be sent to the Citizen tier and up as well as the cloth maps etc? I am understanding we are way behind on our timeline, but that shouldn't delay the book should it? Also, when will the dev+ people be reached out to for the NPC creation and naming?

10. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Apparently, we're still waiting for after release - possibly because people are still shuffling accounts around and the wrong thing might go to the wrong person if it's earlier.

Kara Brae and Ice Queen like this.
  11. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Just as a measure of comparison... To all the people who say things about the game development taking too long, or the wait etc. MOST of the games people are used to seeing often release in beta form, at best. That is until the recent trend of more open development has hit the industry. If you ACTUALLY count the number of months in general that game development took from inception through to release you get a very, very, very, very, VERY different interpretation of a true development cycle of a game.

I will give the following chart as an example. It is not intended to be completely scientific but rather a birds eye view counting the amount of time the respective titles spent in development including their internal alpha and the external beta builds combined. It is just designed to give you a basic quick and dirty comparison and not to be the end-all-be-all of the discussion. In the caste of SotA and Star Citizen of course.... both are in fact still IN development... and not released. The rest have been released for better or worse.

[​IMG]

I think the schedule is fitting. I know the developers are hard at work each and every day sometimes to the point I question their sanity. I know @Chris is so hard at work on combat refinements and changes he probably could use with a military grade cup of coffee about once an hour. I know that @DarkStarr constantly lords over and worries about people's perception, the schedule, scope creep and all the other things that an executive producer worries about that I wouldnt be surprised if he lives every day a nervous wreck. @dallas is constantly watching over to find more innovative ways (along with the whole team) to be frugal with our money and working with @FireLotus to see how they can bring the best out in this community. And frankly @RichardGarriott above all else probably play tests more than all but the most hard core of players... but not often in combat, but in world immersion and discovering how they can constantly look to deliver more interaction, more immersion etc in the world. We know these things because they tell us, they show us, they show up in the world WITH us and participate. And that's just the leadership...theres a whole team of great...VERY exhausted people working on SotA ! =p

The only point I am trying to make is that they get it, some people are frustrated and others are over excited or impatient... but in the grand scheme of things as game development goes we're actually seeing a pretty smooth development cycle. The difference here is that were not waiting for months/years/etc until the next E3 or next big magazine article to learn what's in store for the game... were WATCHING it evolve and grow with literally every build the developers put out there getting them one step closer to launch. Development can be ugly folks... Balance can be bad and harsh for a long time and most people have never had to deal with seeing COMPLETELY unpolished and unfinished stuff as it is FIRST implemented. But that said theres no need to worry. There's a good team at the helm... well get there :)

Now, you may continue your regularly scheduled tableflip.

[​IMG]

12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Rip Alan! :(

13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Tracy Hickman, and there has been a bit of shuffling on that since it is now being published by Tor. Importantly, it is being released in hardback and eBook formats, and will be on the shelf in stores and on Amazon. The current release date is June 21, 2016.

Also important to note is that this is now the first book of a trilogy. Not to mention the Underworld Ascendant novel, which bridges Shroud of the Avatar and Underworld, also being written by Tracy.

Lum posts when openings are available for NPCs. Recently Aerie and Resolute were available for population, but both are now closed.

14. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

@WrathPhoenix .. Great oracle, what an amazing post. The bar graph really hits home as to how hard the team has worked to get where we are now, with such speed.

Sean Silverfoot, Kacey and 4EverLost like this.
  15. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Just jumping in to confirm that the company didn't pay for the robots. The company didn't pay for the Tito's (or the corpion juice made with Tito's)! I believe we bought a total of 2 bottles of booze before the telethon because some people didn't want to drink Tito's at a total cost of about $40.

Also confirming that I already drink multiple cups of industrial strength coffee on a daily basis... the company DOES pay for that and it is money well spent! :) As for thriftiness even in our coffee, we don't use a coffee service. Instead we buy our coffee in bulk from Amazon because that is the cheapest possible option at a few $ a pound. When you go through as much coffee as we do, saving $5 a pound matters!

Also, as for @WrathPhoenix chart, you can put WoW on there at 60+ months or longer if you include the "Warcraft Stories" project that it spawned from. UO is possibly the only MMO truly faster at around 2 years development but that was actually built on an existing project and the feature set when it went live was minuscule. Also, I usually don't correct people when they post stuff like, "What? Feature X is in UO and that game is 20 years old!" Many of those features that people mention as UO features didn't come on until 5 or even 10 years post launch. UO at launch was super bare bones, 2D art from other Ultimas, no quests, limited crafting, no housing, and buggy as hell BUT it was still amazing and the start of a whole new world for many of us.

Ok, back to drinking coffee and getting the build ready... :)

Elwyn, Greyfox, Kytail and 35 others like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

....wait a second, all the rest was just a ruse for a tease????
    :eek:

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Hail to uo and it's awesomeness.

Soon Sota, and it's awesomeness!

I'd like to add I was in an early beta stress test for wow, and from that test to launch thier were huge graphics improvements to the game.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    KuBaTRiZeS and Miracle Dragon like this.
  18. Kacey Cupcakes

Kacey Cupcakes Avatar

Awe, no @Kacey ?
    YES, almost every NPC city that goes in, @Lum posts a request for NPC submissions

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  19. Lained

Lained Avatar

Kara Brae and Alley Oop like this.
  20. Kacey Cupcakes

Kacey Cupcakes Avatar

Especially when you compare other factors such as budget, employee numbers, almost realtime changes due to feedback, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.