R17 Student Quest (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Poor game design, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Great feedback, Aartemis.

I have now also finished the quest (and I'm one Keep Deed poorer until the next wipe). But I didn't have to steal anything to get my prize, I outsourced the theft. Just something else to consider when designing a tie into virtues.

I choose the Virtue Statue, btw. Is it possible to have both Virtue and Chaos on the same account? Or do you have to trade for someone elses?

Logain likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

It's interesting to think about the economics of this...

Surly people will begin to collect these books and sell them at vendors (if that's not already happening, I'm too lazy to check). And so when the game launches, this means that simply having "quest items" will never mean that you actually completed a quest (if the design stays the same). I don't know that this can last for the health of the game. Yet I love the idea that I could hire someone else to do the work for me. This is CLASSIC roleplaying - Wizard hires adventures to retrieve a valuable item.

So I'm curious how we might balance this out? On the one hand I don't think it's right for someone to collect 5000 sets of the 12 books and then sell them all off to people like me that don't want to waste their time. I don't mind people profiting from it. I just mind the poor mechanics of it. It makes the quest cheap and ultimately it may make it less fun for people that like that sort of thing and see the quest in a different light than I do.

On the other hand, I don't want to infringe on the freedom to roleplay with other players the need to have these items. Meaning I don't want the game to be so locked down that it discourages player interaction.

Also, I think the gap between people that say "this is a fun quest of exploration and accomplishment!" and people that say "what's the point of this boring scavenger hunt?" is rather large. Perhaps we should be looking for a way to make the two sides interact together in a more dynamic way (at least online).

Shibokain and Cordelayne like this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

Can you complete this quest by merely having the quest item in your possession? I'm actually not opposed to that but there are issues with mechanics if we don't take that into account, such as this. I'm also not a big fan of the NPCs magically knowing how I've completed a task (e.g. obtain this book) if they weren't present to observe me doing it. Unless of course, there's some lore that explains it vs. a stock answer of "you're not ready yet, come back to me later" type response from NPCs. Sure, there's the Oracle, but all NPCs?

4. Drocis the Devious

I completed the quest without ever getting any of the items myself.

Katrina Bekers and smack like this.
  5. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

There is currently no indicator that you did anything special when picking up a book of virtue. It acts like any other item. As far as I can tell however, it is not flagged as a house decoration so I could not put it down. I think all you need to do is have the books in your possession and they are taken.

smack likes this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Awesome, thanks for the quick response on that.

7. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Gina?

8. Drocis the Devious

4th Student, you can find her in one of the new Tour Guide areas for R17. Sarvenoc Stronhold I think it's called.

Does anyone know if we can complete the quest multiple times or not? If yes, does that grant you more statues?

Shibokain and Ice Queen like this.
  9. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Ahh, ty, I'm gonna see if you can.

10. Drocis the Devious

The real test is to see if there's a second entry on your account page. When you finish it the first time it shows some kind of a message indicating you've finished it and now how the quest reward. So if you go back and do it the other way or a second time, the question is, what happens?

Based on what Lum wrote in Dev+ I'm assuming you can only get one of the quest items?

Ice Queen and Net like this.
  11. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

That will be interesting to see. If you can only get it once, how many people will choose virtue or chaos? I kind of dig the Venn Diagram thing that the virtue statue has going on but, who can resist the beauty of Chaos?

12. Drocis the Devious

I think "other characters" will unfortunately make it so that everyone that wants multiple statues can have them. But I'd still love to see a choice made wherever we can get it. I'd also like to see it mean something - even if it's just a small symbolic something.

13. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Seems they just thank you for helping them, doesn't appear to be a way to do it twice. Will just have to do it on my other account I think.

14. Drocis the Devious

I don't believe in using other accounts or other characters, so that's not an option for me. I suppose I could eventually buy the other statue at launch.

Did you try going to Gina and Martin?

steanne and Ice Queen like this.
  15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Got the peices from the students just looking for Gina now. Err mean have all 12 books for her hehe, got it on the alt account. If you talk to her after you have the virtue statue she says something like Pssh you have the stench of virtue on you, begone.

*Another note* If you have all 3 separate statues from the students you can place all 3 down as decoration but you won't get credit for the virtue statue that combines them all. Still kinda neat to see them all 3 separate and the completed one as well.

16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

With the alt account I did turn in the books to the students first for their 3 statues, but did not give them to Martin, then I went to Gina with 12 books and she gave me the chaos statue for them, then I went back to Martin to see if he would accept the statues the students gave me previously, and he gave me the virtue statue as well. So apparently if you get the statues from the students first, hold them, then talk to Gina with 12 books, get your chaos statue, then go back to Martin then you have both a Virtue and a Chaos statue on your account.

17. Drocis the Devious

Sounds like that's a bug one way or the other.

Ice Queen likes this.
  18. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, let's hope we're suppose to be able to get both no matter which we choose first.

19. Drocis the Devious

Either way, there's a problem.

1. You get the virtue statue, but then you go back and get the same reappearing (hard to find) books? What?
    or
    2. You can't get both if you do it in some arbitrary order? What?

Ice Queen likes this.
  20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, I put it in the Release 17 Quest forum so maybe we'll get some kind of response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.