Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Random Scenes, why?

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Let me start by saying that I'm a big fan of the concept of random scenes (encounters). Here are a list of things that random scenes, if designed and implemented correctly, might offer players:

1. They invite the prospect of additional risk when traveling.
    2. They offer players unexpected adventure.
    3. They help tell the story of the game (for example, there are skeletons running about because of X).
    4. They make the world seem more alive.
    5. They help restrict (read: lessen) trade over long distances.

All of these things are GREAT for the game. Unfortunately, none of them are currently seen as a byproduct of random scenes at the moment. There are several reasons for this:

1. Players can out run any monster in the game. If it's a wolf, a bear, a hoard of spiders, it doesn't matter. Players can avoid any danger or obstacle simply by jogging around it.
    2. Most players are not capable of fighting multiple opponents without dying. There are exceptions, kiting and throwing down AOE spells being the most commonly used.
    3. Random Scenes offer only two solutions, kill everything, or run away.

At this point I'd like to state that I'm fully aware that this is Pre-Alpha and many system (including the random scene encounter system) are far from fully functional.

But here are a few things I believe should be added to random scenes that would give them more purpose and in addition answer the question, why do we even have these in the game to begin with?

1. Stop allowing players to out run everything.
    2. Create random scenes where the solution does not involve killing everything or running away. For example, if you're faced with a scene of undead that you can't outrun, it sure would be nice to have a spell or a holy symbol that would repel them! Or create random scenes where you meet travelers that don't want to kill you, but instead just want to talk. (I'm sure this is planned in the future, but I wanted to be through in my analysis)
    3. Make random scenes connected to larger events. For example, say you run away from your attackers now? Maybe that creates an opportunity for something to happen that would not have happened if you stood your ground.
    4. Give players an opportunity to reduce random scenes from occurring, or at least to reduce the scenes that they don't want to occur from occurring. For example, say there are tons of random scenes where players are being attacked by spiders. Maybe there could be a quest where if you completed it the spiders would be displaced to attack someone else, somewhere else until a quest was completely in that area. This would give you and the people local to you a reprieve from random spider attacks.

2. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Good grief. Drocis, I have no doubt that all of that is true *for you*. It doesn't automatically follow that it's true for everyone. I only have one thing to say about it...it does not sound in the least fun *for me*.

I'm sorry but I fail to see any logical reason something like this should be forced on everyone, along with the inability to outrun mobs that you find so appealing.

I don't mean this to sound offensive but honestly, judging from all your posts, if you were to make a game exactly how you would like to see everything, there is absolutely no way *I* would ever play it. :)

Heradite, Budner and Raven Swiftbow like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I suggested some type of warding talisman in another thread, or a Ward spell, that would give you some limited protection. In the Middle Ages, people would often wear talismans during travel to keep them safe. I think whatever it is should be limited in use before it expires.

I can. It all depends, though, and sometimes I need to kite. It depends on the strength of the opponent, and if they're stronger than I can handle, whether I can separate them and fight them off individually or in smaller groups. Kiting will be less of an issue of course once auto-heal isn't as quick.

Running should always be an option though, .. although certain enemies should be able to catch up with you. Hiding should also always be an option.... hiding and evading the enemies until you get to the exit.

In some cases, bribing should work... or broader interactions with the encounter. So for instance, in Skyrim, you might have encounters that only are threatening after you speak with them and they become unhappy with you.

I agree with the spirit of your post though largely.

4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I absolutely despise the random scene! Encumbrance and repair kits only have only made them more painful than they already were.

Budner and Noctiflora like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

I'm not offended by that in the least.

6. Drocis the Devious

What if you couldn't out run everything? ;)

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The problem is, the way things are now and seeing the early stages of the game....players are against anything that a) slows them down. b) causes any hardship.

My belief is the devs have to continue forward and develop the system more. Yes, there should be things you can't out run....that's part of the game.

If everyone had their way of no encumbrance, easy travel etc...this game will be way to easy and people will lose interest quickly.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I explained in more detail... it all depends. Sometimes the enemies are easy and you can do it easily... its not hard to defeat multiple wolves attacking you at once if they aren't tough wolves. Sometime's they're a bit harder and I can manage. So maybe a couple of elves at a time. Sometimes they're even harder and I need to go one by one. Then I just think tactically and figure out how to draw either groups or individuals out of a crowd. Its easiest if they're either somewhat separate, or are moving around, since one might be moving in one direction, and one in the other.

Some opponents, yea, should be pretty fast, although many you should be able to outrun or hide from.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I have to agree. Somehow people seem to push more and more for a casual type of MMORPG. Something RG mentioned he didn't want. Grinding for example.
    Really I am waiting for those people to cry out for exclamation marks above the heads of NPCs next...

10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i spent 20 minutes trying to get back to town last night, 5 random encounters in a row, that's like having 5 car accidents on your way to 711. lame.

11. Drocis the Devious

The shelf life of this game will be as short as the playing style is casual.

There's no way for SOTA to compete with the larger more casual games if what they're trying to offer is more casualness. That's not who or what this game can be about if they want a core audience that the bigger games can't steal back away.

Gorn da Morn likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Were you on the road or traveling through the forrest....obviously the frequency has to be taken down to reflect where you are. Traveling through the shire is much different then mordor(just an example).

Also, I think we will see the monsters on the map eventually.

13. Drocis the Devious

Absolutely, that is lame. Especially since there was no reason to have those encounters (in the current system) other than that it was "random".

If you read the OP over again, I'm not saying "Great RANDOMNESS!" I'm saying that the random scenes should have more purpose more challenge and more meaning. The true test would be if you got into a random scene in the future and left saying "that was interesting".

Noctiflora and Moonshadow like this.
  14. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

There is really no reason to project what you think people are going to ask for in some nebulous future simply because they don't want particular so-called "features" squelching the fun factor. By that logic I could say of those who want everything harder and harder, "Really I am waiting for those people to cry out for perma death." I won't do that because it's offensive. Since this is a "feedback" forum, I presume the devs are wanting to know people's opinions *of the game*. I'm pretty sure that's what we're all doing. Some of us are polar opposites of some others in our wants and needs from a game, and that's ok. All opinions are useful in one way or another and no one person's opinions are superior to any one else's.

Sean Silverfoot (PAX) likes this.
  15. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

fyi, that happened between deep ravenswood and braemar(and yes, that short distance makes it even more asinine)

I am not adamantly opposed to these scenes but they need meaning aside from needing fixed.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree with random encounters are annoying at this point. I will be happy when random encounters have meaning and purpose and are part of a goal and part of the story. I think that there should be a way to opt out other than running for the
    exit because you are on your way in a group doing something else. Say for example enter now or no don't enter now. It wouldn't have to mean you lose out on the story aspect or goal but just that you can do it next time it pops up
    when you are not in a group on your way to someplace. :)

Noctiflora likes this.
  17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It surely wasn't my intention to offend anyone. If I did this then I apologize.

Noctiflora likes this.
  18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Everyone has a valid viewpoint on this. Baron and many other like encounters. I and many other don't.

Seems so simple, and will make everyone happy, to give players the ability to opt out of encounters. I think the devs may be headed this way. Hope so.

I have noticed that exits seem closer in the encounters I've had thus far in R14, which I appreciate. What I don't appreciate is being involuntarily sucked into an encounter (most of which were killing 4 small spiders - who would want to stop for this, or be interested in it?), running to the exit, and enduring two scene loads. I mean, why make us do this, if we don't want to? And why take encounters away, for those that like them?

Options are your friends. They will make the game more enjoyable for everyone, and enable a larger, happier playing population.

Noctiflora likes this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't see this working when you try and balance the game. For instance Budner doesn't like random encounters, so he turns them off and walks unmolested anywhere he wants to go. I however have them on and get attacked and take damage or whatnot....I have to pay out to fix damage etc. How is that a balanced game? Your character can go where he wants, no worries about possible attack. Impossible to balance. Too many "options" which is just another word for workaround systems will make the game extremely weak.

This isn't a choice by you for what is best for the game, but what is best for you. I understand that...however, the devs have to go with what is best for the game as a whole.

20. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Rune all I'm doing in these encounters is appearing in them, and running out. There's no damage to be taken or to be repaired. The mechanic is simply wasting my time and annoying me. Literally the only consequence is wasted time. That's bad for a game. There is NO value for encounters to me. So let me opt out. You opt in if you think it's so valuable. Win-win.

Drystone and Noctiflora like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.