1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 17 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

The intent of the experience boost is to get you back to the level of where you were at last R, not some speedy way to go ahead. The game needs to be tested by people at level 1 and people above 50... this is just a way to get there in a timely fashion, nothing more.

2. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

In testing:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar(QA)\ChatLogs
    File name was:

SotAChatLog_%playername%_%Y-m-d%.txt

so:

SotAChatLog_Drake Aedus_2015-04-25.txt

Log file restarted on local midnight.

Login is marked with:
    Code:
    ============================================== NEW SESSION ==============================================

Example of various types of logged lines:
    Code:
    [4/25/2015 2:09:25 AM] Lonn is now offline.
    [4/25/2015 2:10:56 AM] Entering PaxLair from PaxLair
    [4/25/2015 2:10:56 AM] You are zoning to player SonOf Beefcakes...
    [4/25/2015 2:11:43 AM] PaxLair Town Crier: (to you) Welcome, traveller, to the free holdfast of PaxLair!
    [4/25/2015 2:13:11 AM] Arkah EMPstrike takes 3 points of damage from Themo Lock's Fiery Decay.
    [4/25/2015 2:13:13 AM] Arkah EMPstrike takes 6 points of damage from Themo Lock's Fiery Decay.
    [4/25/2015 2:13:23 AM] Curator Kvow waves at Drake Aedus.
    [4/25/2015 2:13:26 AM] Themo Lock cheers.
    [4/25/2015 2:13:31 AM] Drake Aedus waves at Curator Kvow.
    [4/25/2015 2:13:56 AM] Sophi: hello :)

I now await for an external, player coded chat interface, kthx. ;)

Katrin Bekers [PeV] and smack like this.
  3. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

I know you're not trying to just build your post count, so care to elaborate a bit more?

Thank you for at least adding some thought to your comment, however, why is it any different from people buying houses, or gear that provides light, or the other various rewards currently available? They will be selling crafting tables that enhance crafting, so why not items to enhance adventuring too? I'm not necessarily in support of it, but I find it kind of hypocritical to pick and choose which benefits should be available in the add on shop.

While levels are important in any MMO (that has them, I really wish this one didn't), that said, if they are trying to minimize the disparities between levels, so you can adventure with a friend who's 20 levels less, then why draw the arbitrary line at experience doublers?

4. smack

smack Avatar

Oh, I expect much more than just an alternate chat interface...this is a gold mine of data and goes well beyond simply allowing players see what they missed in chat. This opens the door for a great many things...

5. MoriensSeeker

MoriensSeeker Avatar

In the Known Issues, the line about the Tools of Prosperity not being indurable should be highlighted green, as that is a new issue to this release. (Also, it is only the Prosperity Tools involved in production, not gathering that currently incorrectly take wear, as of the current QA build.)

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

yeah it was simple "NO EXPERIENCE FOR $" not much more to elaborate

Arianna and Kara Brae like this.
  7. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

But why houses for money, or larger lots for money, or better crafting tools for money, then?
    Why is there some arbitrary line where you are reacting so vehemently, over the notion of experience rate for money?

If the game ware purely about levels, and that was how you "won" it, I'd agree with you. But this game is much more about community, and many things other then just your player level, so why is that so sacrosanct?

As someone who loves housing, but not so into PvP, I could just as easily say that you pledging for a larger house, is "pay to win" in my book, if "winning" is having a large house.

That said, I'm in favor of you, and others being able to pledge and get larger houses/lots, and to purchase add-on items. It is what supports the game. I just see it as comical that somehow experience rate is somehow "off-limits" from some moral standpoint.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

because one is an item I can live in, or decorate with the other is somehitng that SHOULD be gotten thru normal game PLAY, not PAY

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

XP comes with skills.. skills apply to combat and crafting which translates into actual power for the character itself. We're talking about the ability to get ahead of other players who don't buy this ability with much less effort on part of the player. Houses and reward items are static vanity items. They don't apply to combat or the ability to do quests.

Imagine how this would work in the long term. 2 players who play the same amount. 1 pays the other doesn't. 1 reaches level 10, the other 5.. then 20/10.. 40/20.. 80/40... 100/50... They're putting in the same amount of effort to level up but one paid cash.

10. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

And I could easily say the exact opposite about things you live in and / or decorate as being something that SHOULD be gotten thru normal game play, not pay.

There is no right or wrong, it's just opinion, and you are entitled to yours. I just find it comical though, that one thing is off limits and the other is encouraged ...

11. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

But for players who would prefer a fancy house to a high level, the high level is just vanity, and your ability to have instant wealth on day one, is more power for you, over my own ability to have the same.

The game isnt just about player levels, it's also about wealth, vanity, and all the other things people "value" in society. So you have "power" with your wealth, that someone who doesn't pay for the wealth doesn't have at the start.

Again, I understand your point, but I find it comical that you can defend buying a large house (which I don't have a problem with), but you can't defend, and worse, even attack the notion of someone wanting the same advantage in player level.

In the future (if it hasn't already happened), when people complain about houses and add-on being pay to win, you'll see me defending it just as vehemently as I'm defending Violation's desire to buy experience boosters. So please don't take this as a personal attack, or even actually attacking your pledges. I understand it's necessary to support the game, but I also think Exp boosters can be just as useful for a funding source, and I dislike the notion of one being "ok" and the other not be. They are all the same in my opinion.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There's a difference between a 1 time purchase which doesn't effect your character at all and a purchase that makes it easier for you to gain power indefinitely.

Arianna and Miracle Dragon like this.
  13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You can't beat somebody to death with your fancy mansion.

14. Evadrepus

Evadrepus Avatar

I really hate (not using that word lightly) the idea of failure on crafting. That was one of the things I hated most in EQ1's crafting system. I was max level in everything, multiple times, from release, and I hated when you'd hunt for weeks to find all the ingredients only to combine and have it fail and they all disappeared into the ether.

Horrible idea. Sure, it may be realistic, but it's just plain cruel in a game.

15. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

But you can "lord" it over them. If someone's ego is tied into that, then it's no different then getting owned in pvp, etc ... it's all relative to the players desires.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  16. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

But when you're at max level, it's no longer "indefinitely" and your 1 time purchase continues to benefit you indefinitely, if its close to a bank or a particular point of interest, etc ...

Anyhow, we all have come to this game with various interests, value sets, and judgements about pvp/pve, cash store vs not, etc , etc ...

I'm not likely to change your opinion about player levels being sacrosanct, and you're not likely to change my opinion about it being "just another trophy, no different then the houses or anything else people are already paying for, and seemingly ok with".

That said, my final statement on the topic, is simply that I want the game to survive, and without a subscription model, this game will need more then "1 time purchases" and if that means selling experience boosts, I'm all for it.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Who says there will be a max level? That's going to be a real pain for future EPs when they start adding new skills. As far as I'm aware there is no hard limit planned.. only 'diminishing returns' which will eventually level off.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Does it not say only fuel will be used up on failure? In this case since we're talking weapons and armor the fuel is coal.

I agree with you that losing all your effort with a critical failure is not fun.. but if we're not losing the main components in the failure it's not that bad.

Spoon and Miracle Dragon like this.
  19. Net

Net Avatar

They do not decay, but only last 30 deaths or so is shown.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Zeke_Dyter

Zeke_Dyter Avatar

Iron Longsword Blade (Smelting)
    • 1 Smelting Tongs (is not consumed)
    • 1 Blade Mold
    • 3 Iron Bars
    • 1 Chunk of Coal
    Recipes listed in player instructions are wrong

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.