1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 17 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

Love this. Now, can we get Gold Doubler? :)

This is the coolest thing in the new release. I understand that other improvements are much more important, but this one is simply too cool to be overloked.

Yes! I hope to see more robust system in the future (permissions to place and move items, permissions to take item, permissions on containers...) but this is great improvement and I am really thankful for it.

Really helpful. Still, I would prefer if we used maps and markers in maps, or if all NPCs knew location of lot V24 and could point to it. However finally we have system that allows players to locate the lot they are looking for in the scene.

I was asking for this and I got it! Thank you, this makes movement on Overland map much better. Now, can we turn on the map with Q/E, please?

Not so excited about developers reading my chat, but it is good we are finally getting logs.

Oooo, I think I will not notice this ingame as it sounds as some background work, but it is good to be reassured that Localization is a thing!

Royce_Templer and Arianna like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

in the announcement above
    "
    • Success: Item is created.
    • Critical Success: Player gets an option to add more fuel (ex. coal). If player adds more fuel they are rewarded with an extra modifier to the item. If the player chooses to not add more fuel then the item is created (without the extra modifier). Long term, these modifiers will be unique to critical successes and may also be linked to locations, crafting table quality, time of day/month/year, etc.
    • Recovery: Player gets an option to add more fuel (ex. coal). If player adds more fuel then the item is created. If the player chooses to not add more fuel then the item is not created and the fuel is consumed.
    • Failure: Desired item is not created and fuel is consumed.
    "
    The 'recovery' bit talks about two different types of fuel in the same sentance, making it seem that the consumed fuel is the added fuel. I also assume based on the wording that on failure the ingredient fuel is consumed but the basic ingredients, like metal, is not lost? (have not tested this yet in R17) If so you might want to add something about that.

maybe change to

• Success: Item is created. Ingredients are consumed.
    • Critical Success: Player gets an option to add more fuel (ex. coal). If the player adds more fuel they are rewarded with an extra modifier to the item. If the player chooses to not add more fuel then the item is created and the ordinary ingredients are consumed (without the extra modifier). Long term, these modifiers will be unique to critical successes and may also be linked to locations, crafting table quality, time of day/month/year, etc.
    • Recovery: Player gets an option to add extra fuel (ex. coal) on top of the ones in the ingredients. If the player adds more fuel then the item is created. If the player chooses to not add extra fuel then the item is not created and the ingredient fuel is consumed.
    • Failure: Desired item is not created and fuel is consumed.

Oh, and by the way, this direction is very cool and promising for the crafting future. Keep up the good work.

3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Good catch. It was clear as mud. I have updated the OP with clarification

4. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Great observation. I have edited the OP to better clarify this.

5. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

That should happen about 6:00 am tomorrow morning.

6. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

I'm not sure how I feel about the experience doubler. I know there were glitches that allowed the easy accumulation of levels, that already have been fixed, but now those same people will get double exp for much longer.

I never complained about the disadvantages during this release, because I presumed the next wipe would level the playing field, for those who don't like to glitch (or started too late to take advantage of an exploit).

It also starts a dangerous precedent. Are people now going to expect experience doubling at release, up to their pre-alpha levels?

Also, if I had deleted a player to try something new, I'm presuming the EXP gathered at that time will not be counted towards this EXP doubling?

I appreciate your intent to placate veterans, but honestly, I would much prefer a "Clean slate" with each release.

As far as passive skill points now being limited, that seems like a very simplistic way to balance things, rather then simply balancing the skills themselves.

I would suggest maybe just a stat cap, if that is the primary concern.

I do want to add that you guys are doing a terrific job over-all and don't want any of my critiques to take away from that.

7. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

These are fun! Even more reason to use steam and things to accomplish! Already been reading through them to see what we get to do... I have my targets ready on a few of them.

YaY! Been waiting for this ! Crafting has been fun to learn the new recipes but now it has just been made *more* fun!

Fantastic! Saw this happen to Sophi on QA! That was interesting as she was sent off spooked!
    Smack - The night mother is in trouble now, those critters I have chosen to protect are fighting back! Mwahahah!

Thank you for this!

and THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! even more for this!!!

Squee?!? ~ponders the church being housed in a house in a hill hmm.. Nope.. i am still NOT a hobbit!

This is a very nice change. The ability to be able to have more freedom on the overworld map and plan course of movement toward destinations much easier.

This shall be a *huge* help for many things! Thank you for giving us a log!

Now we will be able to know WHAT Kazyn Phoenixfyre said and record it Afterward without having to GUESS!! :p

Student of Chaos! Major points to her dialogue! Very impressed - Field trips are being planned to visit her.... Where is the Chaos Shrine she speaks of however.. a campfire does not exactly equate a shrine :D But ~dances~ Extremely excited to see her!

All in all very excited by what I have seen, and even more excited about what I have not yet seen but will be getting to see! This is going to be a fantastic release! Thank you Portalarium for all your hard work!

Long Live New Britannia!

8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

The single most important tool of the entire pre-alpha, alpha and beta stage is finally here!!! :)

THANK YOU!!!

It's embarassing how much I waited for this. "Without logs there are no bugs!" It'd be also super cool to know the exact path of this file, and if it's versioned/timestamped/autorotated/retentioned.

This is very, very bad, however. :(

An incomprehensible mega-nerf to locked deck builds. The amount of points I must waste on actives I will never use (having a cap of 10 actives anyway!) to getting critically important passives is mind boggling. There are entire trees that are basically dominated by passives, like tactics and focus and ALL the gathering ones. :confused:

Very good. With the other italians we always wondered how much you wanted to seriously expand your playerbase. This is a good answer. ;)

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Thanks for everything as always! I am particularly excited about the camera improvements to the overland map. :)

Arianna and majoria70 like this.
  10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

It meant they can read their own logs, not yours! :p

I will benefit a lot for the experience doubler, with a total of 80+ levels between producer and adventurer, and still I think we should NOT have an experience doubler, for the reasons stated by Alpha.

I know it can be a grindfest to raise levels again, but at least would be a balanced grindfest, not rewarding too much who was farming elves night and day...

A sane 2XP cap would be advisable. I have everything to lose with this, yet it seems a good idea.

TheMadHermit likes this.
  11. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Speculates that the limits on passives may be so we actually test more stuff in different combinations instead of
    just relying on stuff that will work for the best at the moment?:)

A passive way of saying, we want you to go out and test more stuff so we know how it'll go but even if we tell you, you might not do it. So, here you go. Now, you have to go test it, if you're gonna wanna make it?:D

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

actually, that's been me more than once, even after reading diligently all the instructions and known issues, because they're not specific. i simply didn't connect what i was seeing to what had been described. "a vague disclaimer is nobody's friend."

13. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

We can very cheaply re-spec our characters to test different builds. Myself, and others have tried different builds for all sorts of scenarios. But limiting passives because "the most competitive builds are using lots of passives", seems awfully specific PvP.
    Also, if the point of the various skill trees, was to encourage specialization, but not require it, this is counter productive, because now people are having to de-specialize and add more skills they'll never want/need/use just to satisfy some arbitrary limit on passives. I think it would be much better handled just raising the point costs for passives, or adding a combined stat-cap before active buffs, etc ....

I'm just finding it hard to see a "why" to this, and especially a "Why now, at such a premature date?"

14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

@DarkStarr
    • Experience Doubler: Unfortunately periodic wipes during development are necessary in order to maintain forward momentum when there are major architectural changes (like the recipe refactor mentioned above). In order to make this slightly less painful, we now have an Experience Doubler which lets players earn experience at double the normal rate until they reach the amount of experience points they achieved before the wipe. For example if you earned one million experience in R16 you will earn at double the normal rate until you reach one million experience.
    • Death Markers: Starting with this release, every time a player dies they will leave behind a ghostly skeleton at the location of their death. We expect to see big piles of these near Ghosts!
      • YES! How long do they take to decay because memory is already an issue for most players... I have 32GB so I'm good :cool:
    • Lot Access Permissions: Players now have control over who has access to their lot. They can make the lot public or restricted, and they now have the ability to ban specific users (regardless of the public/restricted setting)
      • YES! Thank you... thank you... thank you.
    • Town Lot List: Town Criers now provide a list of all the lots in the town and who owns them. Players also can select one of those lots and will be provided a navigation marker on their compass to help them find that lot.
      • I don't like this feature. I think it needs to be removed. The lot owners and navigation to open lots is already too easy with the "Pillar of Smoke" guide. Please keep this as a "Pre-Alpha" feature only. Exploration and natural game experience is important.
    • Students of Virtue: There is a new quest line in the game concerning the study of the Virtues. Rumor has it that students can be found in Ardoris.
      • NOOOO! Not quests... NOOOO!!!! I guess we need to test them but it would be nice if during Pre-Alpha there was a toggle option to disable ALL quests... I know this will make Lum redo some work but I personally haven't even read Blade of the Avatar yet because I'm not wanting spoilers. I would rather deal with buggy quests on release then have little bits of the world exposed too early.
    Looking forward to R17. Huzzah!

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Um no no NO to experience for $ sorry BAD idea

16. Ellrynn

Ellrynn Avatar

Oh good ! Crafting events, Overworld camera changes , and.........preparation for localization .....Thank you !!!

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I have to agree. Sorry but wow.. no. Not for $.. that's totally $ for power in a sense.

I had the thought earlier that maybe it could apply to everyone who participated during pre-release. Which might help flesh out the world community faster but for cash? That just scares me. That's kind of like saying levels for $ or anyone who doesn't want to pay into it would be at a disadvantage.

18. Godra

Godra Avatar

@Darkstarr

For once, I read the ENTIRE OP. Now stop changing it!!! lol J/K :D

Duke Violation likes this.
  19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Seems to me that the experience doubler is intended to facilitate testing, not provide perks during releases. Nowhere does it say it is an ongoing perk. We have to keep it the perspective of testing. To some degree, having an experience doubler is no different than what other games do in beta by allowing characters to start at higher levels to enable better play testing of higher level content. No need to be envious of someone's uberness if it is just for testing and will be wiped later.

Weins201 likes this.
  20. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

But couldn't it just be arbitrarily doubled for everyone, for the entire release?

My main concern, is people having taken advantage of previous glitches / exploits within a prior release, having a ripple effect into future releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.