1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 19 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Strange... ;)

ThurisazSheol and Net like this.
  2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

World of Warcraft Helmet Invisibility Immersion Breaker No Thank !!!

Like Net said, take your helmet off is really, really simple.

Just my point of view.

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Don't see any reason whatsoever why a helmet should be hidden.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I also just choose not to use a helmet and I'm okay with not getting the resistance; the advantage I'd be getting isn't big enough to worry about in most cases. But I carry around a helmet in my pack just in case.

Net likes this.
  5. snow0815

snow0815 Avatar

Some helmets look hideous and, more importantly, some change the way your face looks (at least one of the plate ones replaces your face with some kind of default that, in my case, looked utterly different).

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. D'Amavir

D'Amavir Avatar

I don't see any reason whatsoever for someone to get a Mohawk, or wear a Brony tshirt, or tattoo a tear/scorpion/nike symbol on their face. But, people still somehow find a reason to want to do just that. More power to them.

Speaking as a SotA pvp novice, is there really a gamebreaking reason why a player hiding his helm visually is so frowned upon? If the impact from a helmet is so negligible that those that want to see their characters without one are expected to just sacrifice the stats from it aren't those impacts also so negligible that they wouldn't drastically impact a pvp encounter if one player couldn't see the other players helm if that player chose not to show it?

Again, I have been in a grand total of 1 pvp scrum so I don't know. If there is a power/skill/maneuver that's success rests on what sort of helmet the target is wearing, lemme know. I am still learning the system, especially when it comes to pvp, but clearly the whole "I just gotta see every stat on every piece of gear my enemy wears" mentality is new to me.

p.s., My facial hair disappears when I put on my helm, even though the bottom of the face is clearly visible, then pops back up when I take it off. That, to me, is worse for immersion than seeing no helm at all.

7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Personally I dont care either way. One thing I do know is more options are good. Many games whether we like it or not have this feature and some people love it. For me it is not game breaking or anything, its more people getting what they want. I want the ability to turn the weapon buff features off on my weapons so they look like a normal weapon, but many people feel that is baaaaaaaad also. I dont get it though, for if you didn't know, it would not bother you one bit.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

A lot of time I think it looks odd to be out of combat with a large/odd helm on. In one of the other threads, we suggested a /holdhat emote that would cause you to take off your helmet and carry it in your off hand until you either toggle it again or enter combat mode, then your helm goes back on and you draw your weapons.

9. snow0815

snow0815 Avatar

That's an interesting idea and actually a realistic one.

10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

For R19 not wearing something in a slot will not break a set, only wearing something of a different armor type. So wearing all plate but no helm gets a set bonus. Just wearing a helm also gets a set bonus.

11. snow0815

snow0815 Avatar

But wearing less than the full set will reduce the total. The plate helm that changes your face should be looked into btw, I haven't seen it in r18 as merchant inventories were changed but in r17 it was called iron plate helm and sold in Ardoris.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i can think of one reason. some helmets are light sources, the new chaos spell juxtapose, has a combo thet lets you turn off all lights. - i don't think the pledge rewards should turn their lights off when that spell is cast around them.

from a pvp perspective, those helmets and cloaks would be worth a pretty penny in the marketplace when put up for sale, if that were the case.

13. snow0815

snow0815 Avatar

Those helmets and cloaks could use a slight boost, the light effect is a lot weaker than a torch or light spell.

TheMadHermit and ThurisazSheol like this.
  14. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Vanity

15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i agree. it was much better before they went to unity5, where the darks got darker and the lights got lighter. it does seem to add up fairly well though. sword, cloak, helmet... ALMOST good as a level 1 light spell. - not that i'm condoning that, i like my polearms, and will probably go bow when the game is live, so most of that will be useless to me. i have no doubt they're going to tweak that to make 'em a bit brighter.

snow0815 likes this.
  16. snow0815

snow0815 Avatar

Right now I keep light spell up all the time and the light from my cloak merely means I'm not alone in the dark when light ends in a fight and the spell card is playing silly buggers again and just won't come up. But it's certainly not an alternative to the spell. Not really using the crown thing either as the stats on a proper helm are much better. Maybe, just maybe the light emitting helmets and crowns should have better stats as, unlike founder armor, they aren't just starter gear/event outfit items but something you are actually supposed to wear with pride to display your level of loyalty and support...

17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yeah, i've moved my light spell from 1 to 5, that seemed to help the silly buggers find their home..then again, still can't hit 1 for the life of me.

only when i'm in the overland map in the dead of night, do i need more than a cape though, for light. the spell is more than enough at that point. in fact i really like the effect on the overland map at that time of night - a circle of light around you with pitch black outside of that ring. makes navigation really fun for me...

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Wait. So let me get this straight.. out of ALL the blank books now in game.. only the one can be written in.. that's a wee disappointing.

19. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

It will expand over time, we are just doing iterative development where we get the most basic version of a feature in as quickly as possible. Sorry you are disappointed.

Mata, Duke Raas, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Its Bowen, He'll get over it if he isn't already. :)

Thanks for the clarity, Starr.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.