Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

renaming items to fool buyers

Discussion in 'Release 33 Dev+' started by Vox Aquila, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

This is FRAUD, it was done to deliberately deceive players, player is identified already damage is done but needs to be reported and dealt with as per TOS and EULA.

If allowed to persist it violates any decent reasoning.

The name is even deceitful and used so as not to harm a valid player. if the development does not deal with this player then all is lost.

2. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

This does not apply to intentional fraudulent misrepresentation, ever...

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

My thoughts are that Portalarium should perma ban that player and fix the bug.

Also, I would've fallen for that too. I saw that listing on a public vendor and thought "hmm, that's an odd price for the artisan tools".

Also, I'm totally with @Berek that we can't call out players. We may not know the details of the situation in full and Portalarium needs to be able to investigate and figure out what really happened. But based on what little I know, if someone changes the name of an item so that it looks like a pledge reward, that's just not the kind of player we need in the game, imo. People should know better.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Alright, well then: "A fool and his money is soon parted." Followed closely by: "Lesson learned."

Blake Blackstone and Lord Essex like this.
  5. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

This does not apply to intentional fraudulent misrepresentation either. Please try again.

6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

It does, actually. If you bought that bag, then you are a fool. Once you realized what you'd done, then maybe, just maybe, possibly maybe, you'd put a little more thought into your next purchase. Or not.

Anyway, you and I will never view this the same way.

Lord Essex likes this.
  7. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

So you resort to name calling. You win. Wow you're a genius.

Signed,
    The fool, Esq.

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Since @Berek has already seen this thread and there is repeat in game fraud from this account, do we need a support email? I know in the future a support email is preferred, but I really hope Port is doing something for in game fraud.

If we can't player shame (I understand the pros/cons of it) then Port has to be responsible to police fraud since we can't.

Port stops you from naming your characters after certain devs and canon characters (like Lord British) and stops you from putting pledge tier titles in your name.

Why not put a filter on item names that match pledge tier items to stop the fraud? Is this a bug we can report to @Attenwood ?

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I would send a support email to make it official. Maybe take a screenshot of it also to send with the email. Then its squarely up to port.

enderandrew likes this.
  10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Fair enough. I will send one. I hope no one else sends duplicates. Let's not create extra work for poor Berek.

Edit: I work in IT and if you ask one person, they say open a ticket for everything otherwise there is no tracking, SLA, accountability, etc.

You ask the next person and they'll tell you they have redundant tickets, and managing the workflow often takes longer than the fix. I try not to create support emails unless necessary.

KuBaTRiZeS and Ice Queen like this.
  11. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Vox, you work the markets like many. I won't go into details in public. You got caught on this one and learned. Portalarium can't monitor every in game trade for gold. If real fraud involving money is involved perhaps.

Renaming should be changed a bit to help with this issue. Otherwise buyer beware. Buy from trusted sources.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

I never thought it was a good idea to be able to rename bags like this, personally. Give us different types of bags, let us dye them. That's preferable to renaming them IMO, since there's really no point in a role-playing game to treating bags like OS folders.

If you really want to let us label them, put the label in parenthesis after the type of bag.

Same thing with vendors and pets while they're in our inventory. Either put it in parenthesis, or put the information about the vendor in the tooltip. I think the second option is probably better to avoid scams.

I don't like that players are doing this, but it was always a bad UI mechanic waiting to be taken advantage of.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Also, at the very least, they could only show renames of items (except books, notes) when its in the inventory of the owner of the item. If you rename a small bag and put it on a vendor or put it in the trade window, the game should just show "Small Bag" to the person who will buy it. Its not so bad if it only says the name in the inventory of the owner.

I don't really think its the best solution, but it would do in order to avoid scams.

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

15. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.