Roleplayer's Corner

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Corner' started by Larawyn Skjaldmaer, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

These sound like good ideas. Here is my simple version of it: 1)An RP Forum, add the RP to the Fire Lotus Tavern name. 2)Need sub-forums there for A)Introduce yourself, B)Closed Rp stories, C) Open RP Stories (So you can jump in and feature your character). @Berek, Please let us know if that is going to happen as I may have to move all my stories in the Library forum over there. R/Boris

2. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

*moves gracefully into the path of the pleasing little forum topic and plants candles at the corners to attract attention to its meager and tremulous life. Pressing her hands into the earth begins her invocation* Oh Berek of the great message board in the sky we bring offerings and entreatment that this gentle desire will grow and find rich soil in this day's bright sun. *sets out Dr. Pepper and a bag of Doritos* May this offer of holy drink and grain find you favorable to an auspicious outcome.

(You asked me to remind you today about our request, I have complied ... *winks*)

3. Womby

Womby Avatar

The invocation works better with the magic sign '@' - like this: @Berek

Elgarion likes this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Forum mods should have the ability to move threads/posts to different forum as needed, I would hold on moving them yourself since the posts from other players will be lost.

Elgarion likes this.
  5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Keeping tabs on this discussion! It's a crazy busy week here at the office, but if this is well received in interest by many of you, I'll see about getting it implemented before the holidays kick in.

Don't forget to help come up with a title for the section! :)

Elgarion and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The Roleplayers Inn
    Tavern Talk (Roleplay)
    The Chamber of Roleplay
    Where the Pen is mightier than the Sword.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I see what you did there :D

Elgarion and Stundorn like this.
  8. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Count me as someone who has received it well please!

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Don't have a lot of preferences but I like..

Roleplayer's Corner
    Roleplayer's Inn/Tavern

Elgarion and Audacity like this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Or
    The Theater of New Britania
    or
    Roleplay Theater...

Elgarion likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hmm that might get confused with the NB Theater Troupe..

Elgarion likes this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Oh yes, didnt thought of that.

Elgarion likes this.
  13. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hey there Lara -- welcome! I've subscribed to 5 of the threads you've created about RP stuff, and see that you've also been active with many other threads that I'll peek at to see if any RP stuff is discussed within. I plan to read up on these during the next evening or two, then start chiming in with thoughts :) Gotta say, I'm happy to see someone so enthusiastic about RP joining the ranks! As always, let me know how I can help -- RPOTA is at the RP community's disposal. And thanks for the tag, @Bowen Bloodgood ;)

14. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

Elgarion,

That sounds great! I'm diving thru rpota myself and getting a handle for it. There are still a few things I'm looking for but not seeing, and perhaps I will stumble across them in the next few days. I've got some of my community getting ready to join in, and they are going to be wanting a fictional cheat sheet for character creation. Most will be fine playing avatars, but there will be many who want to know about the viability of native and RP'd non-human races. A lot I can cover for our town alone, but long term a good cheat sheet for new players would be viable. This may be a January project.

I also have a working outline for a first level campaign I'd like to see about starting, and hope to bring it to you and Bowen to review.

Do we have a Discord channel for RPotA?

Do we have an aspect of the Hospitallers that can direct new RPers towards an ingame New RP center (when I get that started) ... should we look at the option of hooking RP Hospitallers up with new RPers?

You are going to groan and say "Wow when I offer to help I didn't know she had a honeydew list" eh?

*smiles excitedly and drops into a curtsey her sea green eyes sparkling with amusement*

Larawyn

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Elgarion and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't think there's a dedicated Discord channel for RP.. yet.. least not one that I've heard of.

Elgarion likes this.
  16. Albus

Albus Avatar

Avatar Roleplaying perhaps? Shroud of the Roleplayer? New Britannia Roleplay? Just thinking corner sounds like a little place a few outsiders must gather rather than an environment inviting all to roleplay, who care to try it out. Agree it should not be buried as a sub-forum not easily found.

Elgarion likes this.
  17. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

Great ideas - I would like to see a RP heading on the main forum. It should generate enough activity to warrant its own RP sub-forums as interest grows. RP is a major play style that is well suited to SOTA. Over the last few weeks we have spoken to several new RP groups that have landed in SOTA. This should be encouraged to blossom.

Elgarion likes this.
  18. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Great ideas. I look forward to adding content to the forum. Best name idea is a simple one for the forum title. Has to have Role Player in it at the very least so that it is obvious for a new player. When I first started diving in here at the forums I found locations of different topics here very hard to navigate due to not connecting the main titles to what might be in them. Bug reports for instance are buried in a sub forum. So something less confusing is better or all to often people give up and don't bother posting. Anything that makes ease of finding the location is the best idea. There are wonderful players that are helpful at directing you to the right thread but it would be better if you didn't need the direction to find them.

Elgarion likes this.
  19. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I agree -- all very good points! I truly think SotA is going to be a role-player's paradise. I strongly support any efforts or features that'll enhance RP or immersion in SotA and elsewhere.

As for the forum name, changing it to "Fire Lotus Tavern (RP)" as mentioned above might be all that is needed. I find sub forums to be typically neglected and sometimes even go completely unnoticed, and I'm curious why we currently have subforums in Fire Lotus to begin with. Heck, in Fire Lotus, we have a sub-forum that has a sub-forum! Heheee (The Game Room, Kingdoms of Old). If any sub-forums are to exist, I suggest that we only go 1 level of sub-forums. Though, in Inception the movie, going into a dream within a dream within a dream did have its appeal. :p

One thing to keep in mind though, I've encountered many who take to quill and ink and write stories yet are not actually role-players. Perhaps "Fire Lotus Tavern (Storytelling)" might better capture both angles ;) Just a thought. And as much as it pains me to believe it might go away (I've come to enjoy the name Fire Lotus Tavern for the RP forum), perhaps "Storytelling & Role-Playing" could be the replacement. Or perhaps even "The Storytellers of Fire Lotus Tavern"... "Storytellers of the Fire Lotus"... "Sto o Fir Lo"... not sure how much shorter I can get :(

One thing I really do like that was mentioned is prominently giving RP and PVP a very bold, easy to find forums. I love that the RP forum is right there in the main listing.

Heck, one improvement, is in "Game Features" where this is the menu of sub-forums...
    ... perhaps put RP next to PvP as simply a link to the Fire Lotus Forum (or whatever name it becomes if it does indeed change). So then RP would be listed right there along with PVP and yet still get its spotlight in the main listing under its potentially more immersive name. Though I would like to see PvP come out of its hidden shell and be displayed on the main listing right next to the RP forum as well. RP-PVP, they go so well together ;)

RPOTA fully supports any race input when you add your character. I've seen some super creative storylines where folks are more traditional elves, coming through the Rift as elves from other worlds (as many have written the Rift has opened on many worlds, not just Earth), and there's even a handful of kobold role-players out there (who simply don the nice variety of kobold masks to RP with, and select a shorter stature in game.) I do see others RP as elves in-game as well, and one in particular I've seen use the newish elf mask for his character during RP. Of note, there was once a stretch goal to have elves as in-game playable races, but that didn't make the cut for this Episode, but that doesn't rule out other races as playable races in future episodes as they create more content. Besides, when it comes to RP, it just takes a dash of creativity and voila, you can come up with a pretty plausible story as to how your race came to be, ESPECIALLY with the concept of the Rifts and the Avatars hailing from other worlds.

Ooooh, a quest? Excellent! Perhaps one day you'd get some use out of one of my more neglected RPOTA modules, Quests ;) I'd love to look at what you're working on. :)

You bet -- I simply link all the SotA Discord servers. You'll see once going there, RPOTA.COM's server is there ready for text and voice role-players. https://discord.me/servers/1/Shroud of the Avatar

So at the last Hospitaller meeting (or perhaps the one before) I noticed, much to my shame, when I revamped SotAHelp.org, I did not include an option of "Looking for Role-Players" on the main page! I was quite disappointed with myself. I'll get that built this weekend and added. SotAHelp, mind you is a struggling site, but my intent is to give a way for folks to advertise their availability in-game from out-of-game and globally.

Hey, hope I did all my chores :p Love the enthusiasm -- Long Live Shroud of the Avatar!

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Excepting that FL Tavern is not and never has been an RP forum.

"Your place to share RP stories, Fan Fiction and discuss the Lore in Shroud of the Avatar. And be sure to check out the game room, a place where you can chat about the other games you play until Shroud launches. :) And if you're hungry, then head into the kitchen where you can explore the communities favorite recipes. :)"

That is we're not looking for a place that's for RP AND a bunch of other stuff.. the FL Tavern is for story telling, lore and other games.. where we want something a little more focused. In all this time I've never felt like FL's was a place to really get an RP fix or really even go to discuss RP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.