RPOTA.COM -- Role-Players of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Elgarion, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Winning Character, "Helvig Ingvildsdottir" Awarded RPOTA Spotlight - $10 Add-On Store Credit!

[​IMG]

Voelund Ildhammar
    Lone Wolf
    Unaffiliated​

Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on September 18, 2017 8:39pm
    Voelund is from medieval Earth, viking-time Scandinavia, and supposedly the son of a völva, a viking seeress, that was abandoned in the woods shortly after his birth. There he was found by a blacksmith, who might have been his physical father. The blacksmith raised him to be an extraordinary master of the forge and also a decent warrior. What he could not teach Voelund however was to handle his strange ability to set things afire through the mere power of his mind, willingly or involuntarily. Only hours before Voelund was drawn away from medieval earth into New Britannia did he learn that he was son to a völva and had a twin sister. Together with his assumed sister he started out his adventure in New Britannia.

I'm not sure of Voelund's Forum name, so if anyone knows, please give him a hearty congrats in the forums!​

Olthadir likes this.
  2. Elgarion

[​IMG]
    The Pilgrimage of Virtue
    (Chapter 5 - 6)
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on October 14, 2017 7:22pm
    A group of Novians decide to wander the continent of Novia to learn about the Virtues brought to them by the Outlander Lord British. Along the way the members of the group decide to tell stories to each other to pass the time.

Great job, @Olthadir ! As always, I love your work!​

blaquerogue and Olthadir like this.
  3. Elgarion

Any folks that wish to work with @Umuri and myself on a player created quest interface that utilizes a HUD type overlay for the game, here's a backdoor link to the beta version of RPOTA's quest design interface for such player created quests. During this development, RPOTA's quest module will receive a complete revamp to accommodate this new concept.

RPOTA's Quest+ Module, like all of RPOTA's modules, will be (is already) fully embeddable on other websites, BUT we welcome anyone to create their own quest design website/module etc that exports quest data friendly to the overlay's programming.

The overlay will be developed by Umuri to react to these player designed quests, and the design interface will be altered to provide a better UI experience to quest designers and questers, and to provide better data to interface with Umuri's design.

Tentative, temporary, likely to change name for this baby is Quests+

Below are Discord links to where the brainstorming will take place. Albeit you will not get back-and-forth feedback about suggestions outside of discord, you are welcome to post them in this thread and I'll paste them into the discord discussion on your behalf.

Here's the Discord Chat Channel Invite Link:
    https://discord.gg/s35t675

Here's the Discord Voice Channel Invite Link:
    https://discord.gg/td4sNbJ

Again, here's the backdoor address to RPOTA's Quests+ Beta quest design interface, without the RPOTA header and footer:
    https://roleplaywebsitedesign.knack.com/rpota-database#quests-plus/quests-plus-library/

ANY QUESTS CREATED USING THIS TEMP INTERFACE: will be hidden from view on the main RPOTA webpage, so feel free to play with it and make fake quests as we develop it. I will, however do my best to preserve all quest entries that appear to be true attempts at quest creation.

Hope some folks are interested in brainstorming! See you on Discord ;)

@Umuri -- please be sure to correct me on anything I'm not quite grasping. FYI folks, he's the smart one between the two of us ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. Elgarion

Congratulations @galathena ! You're this week's RPOTA Outlander Creativity Spotlight Winner!

[​IMG]
    Sassa Svanhild
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on October 27, 2017 2:21pm
    At the difference of many Avatars, Sassa Svanhild does not come from Earth but was born in Grimmwold world. Daughter of Sigrid Svenhild (Victorious Young Warrior), a strong viking amazon, she crossed with the Torvalds clan the gate to Novia , following her Jarl Baene Thorrstand and wife Larawyn Skjaldmaer.​

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. Elgarion

Great bio @Stundorn -- I've enjoyed your recent explanations of the Grey Path have been wonderful!
    You're this week's RPOTA Outlander Creativity Spotlight Winner!

[​IMG]

Stundorn Stureson
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on November 06, 2017 8:33pm
    Stundorn Stureson was born somewhere in scandinavia in the age of vikings.
    He was unwilling to fight with speer, axe and shield and intead began to scratch runes in trees, stones and other things, he also sang a lot and was allways interested to hear the old stories. He preferred to stay with the women and old men instead of becoming a warrior, so he was often laughed at and was considered an eccentric.​

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  6. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Yay go vikings! Anyone else notice that viking characters won four times in a row now (with their bios I mean, and with Olthadir's awesome series of stories in between)? Either Elgarion is biased, or we're simply top notch story writers/roleplayers. I want to believe the latter... :p

Congrats Stundorn! I, too, love your write-ups about the Grey Path.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Stundorn, Elgarion and Olthadir like this.
  7. Elgarion

Well deserved! The Norgard peoples have been ignored for far too long... perhaps now the peoples of Novia shall flock to their aid against the Kobold oppressors! ;)

Stundorn and Olthadir like this.
  8. Elgarion

Many of us have learned how powerful the Phoenix is in Wynton's Folly, and now @Olthadir brings us a fiery tale of adventure from this desert land. Congratulations, Olthadir, your latest journal entry is this week's RPOTA Creativity Spotlight Winner!

[​IMG]

The Sun and the Phoenix
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on November 15, 2017 11:52am
    Wherein Olthadir tracks the legendary Riei Firefeather and makes a wonderous discovery.​

blaquerogue and Olthadir like this.
  9. Elgarion

A tale of pious beginnings awaits thee, oh Avatars! Learn of how the one known as "The Priest" came to be. Congratulations to @Johnwick , for he is the latest RPOTA Creativity Spotlight Winner!

[​IMG]
    "The Priest"
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on November 27, 2017 1:31pm
    As he watched the crooked priests manipulate and control people with the fear of the Gods, he knew this is not what the True gods wanted. He was determined to set out on his own and right what was wronged hence he Trained with the "Warsworn" in all forms of combat if his elder Priests knew of this new hobby they would surely send him to the Gods with much suffering before hand!He set out to cleanse the lands of the taint left by the Priests and "Their Gods"! He only knew war and pain in the name of the gods, this was not acceptable.​

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Elgarion

Warrior, scrivener, explorer... @Olthadir brings us yet another tale from the dog-eared pages of his well documented journal. This time? A curious artifact leads him into the den of the dead... The Necropolis!

[​IMG]
    Expedition to Necropolis
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on December 05, 2017 1:59pm
    Herein details Olthadir's journey from Kahli to Necropolis to discover what can be done for an object he has been researching.​

11. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

Wow... thank you! This was unexpected!

Stundorn and Elgarion like this.
  12. Elgarion

I just wanted to provide a quick update as to what has transpired within RPOTA as of late:

First and foremost, there has been a steady influx of work sliding into the site, which is absolutely wonderful. On occasion, we attract a new writer sharing their work, and soon after this post is submitted, I'll be sharing a journal entry that some folks from Kahli might have already read (which gives hints at our current RP storylines progressing in-game), that I wrote two days ago.

BUT, most importantly, there's a larger project that I might not have even identified to RPOTA users yet, but you might notice some VERY unusual mechanics in the Quest module, ESPECIALLY in the design portion of the quests. It is now possible to design a quest with a particular, odd looking markup script type language. Please let me explain...

About 2 months ago, @Umuri approached me with a wonderful idea for a player created HUD add-on for SotA, one in which responds to in-game activity triggers which cause events in the HUD to activate in ways so that WE, as players, can design quests which are responsive to the game!
    It's still very much in development, but as soon as the markup language is solidified and his HUD available, a quest design and quest log system (as well as instructions to use this system) will be available at RPOTA.COM. I hope there are many other web developers out there that can create such design interfaces for this HUD (known as Quests+ tentatively), but RPOTA's version will offer great interactivity with existing RPOTA content, like all the modules there.

Here's a link to the Discord RPOTA chat channel if you'd like to offer any suggestions or feedback on this Quests+ system: https://discord.gg/s35t675

Also, let's not forget the contests! It's been about two years since I've started awarding SotA Players for their creativity, and RPOTA hasn't missed a beat! There was a few contest format changes through the many months, but now the prizes are weekly -- be sure to keep an eye out for those winners and applaud them for their fine work and efforts. Can you believe it, thus far RPOTA has awarded $3625 in prizes... 119 works have received recognition... and from past contest formats, 20 art commissions were rewarded (which I hope to resume at some point).

Check out the contest results since October of 2015:
    http://www.rpota.com/#contests/

Hope you guys like what's coming your way! With my house move complete (I relocated to downtown Cheyenne on the 9th of November), I'm unpacked and settled! So expect a lot activity to continue at RPOTA.COM in the immediate future and in the years to come! RPOTA and SOTA are truly my passions in life! Albeit, it is possible my love for beer might need to be mentioned as a strong third place winner ;)

Take care... and I wish you all the best this quarter!

Fei Akhart, Gorthyn, Olthadir and 3 others like this.
  13. Elgarion

A journal entry of love and adventure... mystery and magic... @Helvig Ingvildsdottir brings us a delightful rendition of her life of late in Shroud of the Avatar! Congratulations, Helvig!

[​IMG]
    About the Ring, the Tomb and the Obsidian Remnant
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on December 21, 2017 1:38pm
    A lot of exciting events have happened lately, and Helvig wonders whether there is a connection. The Obsidian Remnant that forced Elgarion out of his Tower and requested a lich skull as a tribute. The ring that seems to have desires and feelings, and that lets Helvig get in contact with the spirits of the dead and enhances her magical powers. The newly opened catacombs underneath the ruins of ancient Kahli.​

Olthadir likes this.
  14. Elgarion

Congratulations Sassa Svanhild / @galathena ! Your latest work on "The Void" was truly spectacular.

One thing I like so much about this entry? The Void concept plays a pivotal role in my own storyline and role-playing with Elgarion. You took that ball and ran with it, and made The Void a much broader concept that could benefit all. I look forward to RP'ing future Void concepts and beliefs. Limbo type dimensions have always fascinated me. Another thing that was cool about your entry? It was the first location someone provided that was a different dimension. I actually had to jump back into design to accommodate this concept! Now, not only can the Location Module accomodate dimensions for player storylines, I altered the Lunar Rift graphic to be the new default image for Dimensions. The graphic will be customized for every dimension submitted, to show a distorted, shimmering view of what that destination dimension is like within the portal. For The Void? It was easy! Pure blackness. If anyone wants an idea of what it'll look like for future dimensions, just peak at the various Earth entries at RPOTA.

Fantastic job, Sassa, and thanks for putting me to task!​

[​IMG]

The Void
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on January 13, 2018 1:42pm
    Old tales refer to the Void as the beginning of everything and that it existed before the world we know, was born. Some storytellers may refers to the Void as a physical grey shade area in space — that often takes a form chosen by its "wielder" or current denizens. But the commmon thought is that the Void is like a backdrop of pure darkness or celestial atmosphere which has the power to distort, or remove entirely, large parts of space.​

Rada Torment likes this.
  15. Elgarion

Congrats Nizar! I really enjoyed the darkness and mystery of your character bio which directly ties into how you earned your dark Shroud of the Avatar. Good thinking! I know you stated you still have some edits to take care of, but the ideas you presented were intriguing even before you edited! I hope you continue to develop the idea, enjoy joining in on the creative community here at SotA and most of all, please enjoy the prize!

(Sent to your in-game mail in the form of COTO's - let me know if you'd rather have add-on credit instead!)

[​IMG]

Nizar Darkme
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on January 13, 2018 1:41pm
    Nizar Darkme the vile Assassin pursuing the path of Darkness! Hunts alone adventurers in outskirts, takes pleasure in their Demise.. Performs ancient necromancy rituals at his throne room at Knights Watch. Nizar will not stop until the deadly poison flows in all living being's bloodstream!​

Rada Torment likes this.
  16. Elgarion

Folks, you might notice that I awarded two prizes this week! I was falling behind due to the holidays and a trip right after. I'll try to be more regular with the weekly prizes in the future now that things are back to normal.

ALSO, @Helvig Ingvildsdottir suggested I make the Events Module more prominent in the page menu at RPOTA.COM, so I've pushed it forward in the list so it'll always appear on your initial view of the menu. Also, I've added the ability for people to suspend their events so they're removed from view, and when they're unsuspended, they'll return to public view. ALSO... when you edit your event? It republishes the event's entry on the activity stream so folks quickly see the changes right on RPOTA's main page.

Going forward? Still working on the Quests module revamp with Umuri. I started the new Art Module design (not visible yet), and have plans for a Journal Module revamp that will allow for a master journal with subsequent chronological journal entries.

So much coming our way in the months ahead!

CatherineRose likes this.
  17. Elgarion

Again @Olthadir dazzles Shroud of the Avatar players with a continuation of his seven chapter saga, "The Pilgrimage of Virtue!" If you haven't already, you have a great story ahead of you as this skilled author delves into his latest explorations. This chapter is titled "Resolute to Vertas" - Enjoy! And congratulations Olthadir!

[​IMG]
    The Pilgrimage of Virtue Chapter VII
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on January 24, 2018 4:47pm
    A group of Novians decide to wander the continent of Novia to learn about the Virtues brought to them by the Outlander Lord British. Along the way the members of the group decide to tell stories to each other to pass the time.​

Olthadir and CatherineRose like this.
  18. Elgarion

Guys, if you have folks looking to learn taming, what better way to do so than by watching these most wondrous role-played taming tutorials by @Woftam ! He was kind enough to allow me to post them on RPOTA, and by golly? He just happens to have one this week's Outlander Creativity Spotlight -- congrats Woftam! I'll send 10 COTO's in-game to you shortly!

[​IMG]
    Woftam - So You Want to Learn About Taming, Part I
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on February 02, 2018 12:38pm
    In this ever so creative taming tutorial, Woftam raises the bar. Not only did he succeed in informing the viewer, but he also presented his tutorial in a role-playing format reminiscent of true animal tamer--enjoy! (Part 1 of 3)​

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. Elgarion

Outlanders, take heed! There is an assassin amongst us, and his ambitions are devious indeed! Thanks for the addition to your story, @Nizar -- great work! Truly comes off as the ravings of a darkened mind! I'll send you your prize in COTO's again ASAP!

[​IMG]
    The Path of the Pathless
    Awarded $10 Add-On Store Credit on February 10, 2018 2:28pm
    Nizar talks about his observations and ambitions regarding his new life... and his new secret organization.​

20. Elgarion

Exciting times are upon us, Avatars! RPOTA.COM's new journal module is complete! (Kinda... almost. Still a few things I'm working on lol). But @Olthadir dove straight in to the new module and gave it a whirl! As a reward for his most valiant of efforts AND his remarkable creativity, Olthadir is hereby awarded this week's $10 Add-On Store Credit prize for the Outlander Creativity Spotlight!
    Congrats my friend!

[​IMG]
    Olthadir's Journal
    Player Character, Influenced by Order
    From the mid to late 1970s Earth, the man called Olthadir does not speak of his time before coming to Novia. From what people have gathered he was a scholar of some sort and enjoys working around books. He researched other worlds in literature and it became a sort of an obsession for him.​
    Number of Pages: 3
    Updated: 02/23/2018 10:12pm

Olthadir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.