Should Coins Have Weight Associated With It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Should Coins

1. Yes

49.3%
  2. No

50.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

So, here's a thought. Right now we have gold as just a number.

If you mine gold, smelt the gold into ingots, and strike coins from the ingots, those gold coins could have a face value that is different from the gold that is just a number. So, you could have a gold coin (with weight) that has a face value of whatever the market says it's worth.
    So, armor could cost 500 "gold" (weightless) or 5 gold coins (with weight). That would complicate things nicely, and players could decide to accept either, or both.

2. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

.... gee I just had a flashback... "aw but mom... he started it... " :p

majoria70 likes this.
  3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

But that's the thing - I'm not a bot farmer and now I have to jump through the same hoops as the bot farmer? Who are we trying to protect here? Do the players matter? Or do we sacrifice the players just to stick it to the bot farms.

That, my friend, is what is known as a Pyrrhic victory.

cartodude likes this.
  4. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I understand what you are saying Majoria, and I try to stay extremely positive. But, little by little each battle lost takes away from the potential of the game. I think the reason that the people that want a complex game argue so hard is because this is our first shot in 15 years to have one. Major companies continually pump out simple games that dont really challenge the player and there are literally 100's if not 1000's of titles to choose from if you want an Ever Quest clone.

I'm backing an indy game that has Lord British's name stamped on it. I don't want a Blizzard or EA game and I'm willing to PAY $$$$$ for it.

Sure, I play Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Diablo here and there and beat them in a week or two, but thats not what I want. I want something dynamic and different.

5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    That is in game. I am talking about game development, not playing the game. We all have played long enough to know people will take advantage of what they can, so I offer counters to exploits ahead of time. Some people claim they want the convenience, and its their right to say that, but I want a game that is not easily broken, and made difficult for exploiters. My needs outweigh my wants.

6. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

No, a guy like me will buy a boat load of gold from the bot farmer and make all your time in the woods worthless. You wont have to worry about taking your gold to another region to shop with because you wont be able to afford anything. I will have bought it all with my farmed gold delivered right to my doorstep.

Moonshadow likes this.
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    What did you win? What is your victory? A broken pointless unbalanced economy and a world hooked to buying gold from gold sellers? If that is victory you can have it. I want a game with meaning. It is well documented that if some one puts effort and time into doing something it has more value and people respect it more. I want this game to last more than the 3 month cycle of modern gamers before moving on to the next game because they are bored.

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

Value.

Gold is the most unimaginative reward you can give to a player yet it's still a valuable reward because it's both weightless and practical at the same time... it stacks... and it's shiny.

Remove all encumbrance and you lose that important property that gold has over other potential rewards. If everything was weightless (or didn't take inventory space), then you might as well give me a weapon I could use in combat... rewarding me with gold would, then, be not an enjoyable experience; defeating the purpose.

Weightless gold actually enables it to fill its "fantasy" role... as everything else should.

There are other ways to implement game-play elements revolving around people carrying lots of gold; whenever or not gold is weightless is actually quite irrelevant as far as that's concerned.

Moonshadow likes this.
  9. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

No one ever asked for full time pvp.

But i can see we are all passionate about the game which imo is a great thing.

I have seen the slippery slope of dumbing down games and in the end it loses its identity and becomes a reskinned rehash of all the same old crap.

And Darkfall Online has full loot pvp and THEY STAYED TRUE TO THEIR NICHE and are successful to this day.

All I am advocating is a little bit thought to longevity and not baseless realism.

In this case the realism is not baseless. Having a potion of healing weigh as much as an empty bottle isnt real... but it doesnt change the world economy like currency will (and does).

Nit picking would be:

Jey this potion of strength weighs as much as as an empty flask what gives?

To which you get the same meat headed answer of: theirs ddddragons and kkkkobolds and mmmmmagic.

Yea but there is also gravity and other physics.

Gravity is important, so is coin. Flasks.... not so much.

I would not be so adamant if I did not personally witness the downfall of an entire game evonomy IN A SINGLE PATCH which made coins weightless.

Ine anecdote as evidence (yes just one man's story)
    It ruined alot of things. My patron was pure melee and I a pure mage had outleveled him by a score of levels. In most games today we wo u ld not be able to even hi t the same monsters or do the same quests.

But his raw strength was neccesary for me to carry the coin and purchase my mastery robe.

This made his character INVALUABLE to soooooo many people that even though he was a lower level his character was relevent.

After the patch he felt useless and rerolled the same type of character as everyone else.

The game became watered fown with 363637 of the same hybrid bs class. Boring as hell.

I know at this point this has fallen on deaf ears and I appluad you for reading this far.

Sorry if I got on my soapbox but I was there fifteen years ago when coins became just another stat yoy cwrry instead of a tangible (weight and slot taking) thing.

God I sound like my father... which reminds me... I need to call him.

Thanks for listening lords and ladies :)

10. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

... and adding weight to gold does not stop this. Preventing the gold farmer from selling his gold will. So a better means needs to be found... one that does not inhibit the 'fun' of a 'game' just to make it harder on a few bots.

Budner likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes and believe me, I do understand the passion. I understand it very well. I do not criticize it. I guess what I do say is how we argue is important. It is not me against you. It is us 'FOR" this game. Everything is for this game. We are all for this game. So silly us lol. Can we get our points accross so someone can actually make sense of them let alone find them. I worry about this a lot. I don't want the Devs to run for the hills instead of read what we have to say. I understand both sides here, I truly do. I also understand for everything we give up that we believe in, it feels like a piece of the pie is gone until there is no pie left. So Sad. So all we can do is keep the battle going. I do strongly suggest we get a system going for power arguments though lol, like what's the bottom line in what you want to say, ;) well I don't really, but I'm sad peoples points are missed. There are truly some good ones.:)

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  12. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

Told you there is always one.

Okay fine then I move that people can fly and gravity no longer exist since its fantasy.

...please.

13. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

And I also want to insta kill all dragons while nude and carry 1738585482 pounds of gold please. Since we are in a fantasy world I also want a toilet made of solid gold and perhaps a staff of Magius and the ring of power. Ita fantasy so I get to go all out right?

Right?

14. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Would you imagine that I am arguing against making myself extremely powerful? I will tell you it is for the best interest of this game for gold to carry weight. Some players will have an immense amount of gold from the get go. If you aren't a high level backer with towns, rares, and money to spend, you need to seriously consider this argument.

15. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

I will write a macro that states otherwise...

But k cannot macro the weight away.... and yes ill have t travrl far and hope i dont get killed.

It funny that people are literally voting against their interests here. For all of you who voted for weightless clones please ask yourself what the first mmo you played was.

If its WoW then you just simply have not experienced what I and THE OTHER HALF have lived and played through and realized the error f our way.

To those who have played with weignted coins andvote againstpleaserealize you are voting for the gold farmers and against your own interest....

16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Look! The sky is falling!

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  17. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

But k cannot macro the weight away.... and yes ill have t travrl far and hope i dont get killed.

It funny that people are literally voting against their interests here. For all of you who voted for weightless clones please ask yourself what the first mmo you played was.

If its WoW then you just simply have not experienced what I and THE OTHER HALF have lived and played through and realized the error f our way.

To those who have played with weignted coins andvote againstpleaserealize you are voting for the gold farmers and against your own interest....

18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

You're suggesting that heavy gold is a panacea, and that a wrecked economy is inevitable. I completely disagree with both assertions.

19. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

Moonshadow likes this.
  20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

one persons frustration is another persons fun.

back when duke nuke em first came out we use to run it over the server at work, and we'd all run around blowing each other up for an hour, every day, johnny on the spot, the whole drafting crew. There was this one guy who was constantly slaughtered, he'd be lucky to even get one kill in, yet he was the first one every day to stand up and ask "you guys ready for some nukem?" I didn't get it at the time but i do now. when that yahoo killed me he'd jump up out of his chair and be all "boooya!" which made him a great friend to game with lol, but i digress, I asked him years later why he so willingly subjected himself to what equated to video game torture and his response was simple. " I got fat man fingers and no hand eye coordination, that crap is hard for me" he didn't just play for the challenge, he played to over come that challenge and when he did he boooya's you lol. I never once saw him get frustrated with games, I miss that guy, rip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.