Should Coins Have Weight Associated With It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Should Coins

1. Yes

49.3%
  2. No

50.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

You're right, it'll be a hindrance. But it won't stop the farming. The farming will happen regardless.

From my perspective, I'm willing to have a weightless/low weight system that's friendlier to a bot farmer. I don't really care much about bot farming and inflationary influences. I've lived with it in other games (Ultima Online in particular), and it didn't wreck my enjoyment of the game. I don't see the farming, and whatever inflation is created creeps up slowly and silently, and cannot be measured. So I'm not worried about it.

What WILL wreck my enjoyment of the game, is being weighed down by gold, having to constantly march to-and-fro to town to deposit my gold in a game that already lacks rapid transport and is striving to continue to limit rapid transport. Having to spend more time traveling than hunting. Bleh. Boring.

From my perspective, you're saying that we should be willing to sacrifice playability in order to combat bot farmers. For me that's an easy choice - I'll always err on the side of playability.

cartodude likes this.
  2. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

allowing loot from single player mode into online mode would be a travesty of epic proportions in my opinion.

Budner likes this.
  3. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

uh... it's already in... anyone can play in SPO or FO mode and access the same merchants. All modes online share the same merchant inventories if I recall.

Besides, unless I'm flagged as pvp in multiplayer... I can still transfer all my gold by wagon and you can't stop it... or is someone really proposing that we force everyone into pvp just so they can spend their gold? is that what this is really about?

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

Being different for the sake of being different isn't any good either. If you're implementing a system just to combat bot farmers, then you're not doing it for the players... even if it so happens to make it "different". Bad idea for the wrong reasons.

You make it sound like, unless the game features weighted currency, the game suddenly becomes a WoW clone. As if SotA didn't already have any other redeeming factors. Stating that anyone who disagrees with you just want another WoW clone, please...

I don't want SotA to be anything like WoW.... but I do expect to play a proper VIDEO GAME; not some virtual reality simulator.

We definitely have different views on what "fun" means; especially if you're using that as an argument for weighted currency.

Parallaxe, Budner and cartodude like this.
  5. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

So we are going to have gold ore veins that can be mined and have weights but magically when they are minted there is no weight to them.

Oh well. We will reap what we sow. A handful of very wealthy players will end up controlling the market on everything very easily across all regions. I guess we better get ready to carry large amounts of gold to buy anything.

Have fun. ;)

Moonshadow likes this.
  6. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

Worries about realism? Wasn't there a time during the 1800s that gold was transported across large expanses of an inhabitant lands in wagons...think they were called stage coaches.

I even believe Wells-Fargo was known for specializing in the transporting, hiring, and carrying of precious commodities across these lands.

It would be unrealistic to have a banking service such as occurs today. It is only possible today because all "cash" is based on a promise of payment and not actually backed by a hard commodity.

Gold has to be physically transferred. How do you tell a merchant "I will pay you here in Ardoris with gold I have in Owlshead. This is a slip that says it yours. you just have to go get it."

His response will be "if you want it bring me the gold. I am not going to get it."

7. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

What’s the difference if someone (bot or not) spends all day mining a vein of ore or killing elves for their swords… both are going to sell them for gold… and no matter what they can play in any one of three modes… SPO, FO, or MP… and unless they are playing in PVP in the last one, you can’t touch them.

So why does gold weight matter if they can buy things in any mode? Or do we need to limit shopping to PVP mode only? We can have PKer’s standing outside shop just waiting to rob people.

So in other words we need to eliminate all game modes expect PVP or we’ll have too much easy gold?

8. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Yes... but this was mostly banks transferring the money... people used letter of credit since the medieval ages... just ask the Italians.

Budner likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Swords have weight, gold should to. If you can loot it it should weigh something. What again is the argument for weightless gold again? Convenience? So you can farm gold with no weight all day, but if you loot any other valuable it has a wieght,you must have encumbrance for these items. Why does anything weigh up then? why is there encumbrance at at all? What makes gold any different than anything else?

10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I don't always play single player mode, but when I do it's for the entire first episode so that when I go online for episode 2 I am the riches avatar in the game!

11. Atticus Gryphonheart

Key word is credit. Most of the individuals who had credits were merchants who were in a business partnership. The Gold from one business remained in the locations separated by miles. Merchant 1 in Venice had 10 mil Lire and owed Merchant 2 in Genoa 3 mil Lire, while Merchant 2 had 10 mil lire in Genoa and owed Merchant 1 3 mil Lire. Gold didn't transfer but the credit did.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  12. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

You missed the part about realism. No one wants that. Immersion is only a word that we use between buying gold from the online farmers and grinding for hours.

Moonshadow likes this.
  13. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

You're mixing single player offline with single player online... feel free to play single player online and become wealthy without the fear of PVP's looting you every five minutes... but that's a different thread.

You can't transfer your single player offline gold to online... but your single player online, and friends only online, and multiplayer online are all the same really.

14. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

I guarantee you the 50% that vote FOR weighted coins stsy longer and support the game longer with more financial support than the WoW clone half.

You are all completely blind or willfully ignorant to just how bad gold farming and botting is to a game. Its a death knell and honestly people talk about using software to combat it.

A simple mechanic will do all that. There is no hack against weighted gold.

Perhaps alot of people just like to farm gold...

15. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

The practice was there for anyone with large sums of money that needed transferring, not just merchant to merchant.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So now I am caught up and we are to page 13. Crazy. lol well in a good way that is;) So 2 more cents 'pun'. So all those for weighted gold say aye, all those against say nay. So as to if gold is weighted or not is not the question since at the moment it is not. To threaten that if gold is not weighted this will be a wow game, that is always the threat, like oh no it will become WOW, well I liked a lot of things about WOW, so I could be ostrasized from here *ducks to miss incoming*.;) Geeze Louise we are not going to get every single thing in this game. It will not be the end all to anything. Sometimes we have to concede to the higher powers, who in this case are the Devs. If we can't give an undivided idea then it is a lost idea. It won't be the end of the world or a drama thing, it will just be. You are guys are terrific going on and on for a battle you think is important. I do commend you. Please though while you are battling don't for one tiny moment think this is going to make or break the game either way it goes. What will do that will not be this one thing, it would take much more than that to break the spirit of the game and many of those functions are already being worked into the fiber of this game. Ok so just my 2 cents, not meant to stop the argument that might win.;)

Budner, Moonshadow and cartodude like this.
  17. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

The problem is, it's a moot point... unless you plan on forcing everyone into PVP full time. Anyone can go play in any non-pvp mode and loot all the gold, swords, ore... etc that they want and flood the market with it... you can't stop that... so adding weight to gold is not the solution to bot farming. You need to come up with a means to stop bot farmers in all modes if you are concerned about it. And trust me, you'll lose more than 50% of the player base if you force full time pvp just to stop gold farmers.

18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK please just stop it with the realism thing. This is a game with:

1) the ability to carry multiple suits of armor and multiple weapons
    2) electricity available to create a fence around town, but you must use candles in your home
    3) ELVES
    4) DRAGONS
    5) OTHER CREATURES THAT DON'T EXIST
    6) MAGIC!!
    7) 1-hour days
    8) lack of rideable mounts
    9) tesla towers
    10) guards that don't guard
    11) shardfalls!
    12) volcanoes with no ash
    13) no need to go to the bathroom
    14) no need to sleep
    15) flowers bigger than the avatars
    16) 19th century houses and 13th-century technology
    17) an inability to fornicate
    18) an Oracle
    19) etc.

Realism is OUT THE WINDOW. It's a fantasy game. Enjoy the fantasy and stop trying to cram realism into the game. How can you accept the total lack of realism that pervades every nook and cranny of the game and still worry about how much gold weighs? It's like sinking on the Titanic and stopping to re-arrange the deck chairs. The world is passing you by.

cartodude likes this.
  19. Atticus Gryphonheart

Aye, merchants, nobles, royality. The agreements were with the individuals directly. But it was still over who actually controlled the money in the region. Even though Merchant 1 deals with Merchant 2 in Venice and owes him 3 mil lyre, he is still holding onto 10 mil lyre and issues a letter of credit. He could physically transfer 3 mil to merchant 2, but then he would only have 7 mil lyre in Venice and not 10 mil to control.

Granted, Merchant 2 could take it and try to transfer it to Genoa, (and thus control 13 mil lyre), but there are risks involved bringing it there.

Moonshadow likes this.
  20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    It may not stop bots, but it sure will slow them down. Being there is no recall to the bank and back to the farming area, they have to travel to get to the bank. In order to do that they have to use the overland map and avoid the random encounters. Then they have to find a town and run to the bank. Then they have to run back to the farming area.

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.