So Devs Is The PvP, Ever, Going To Get Anything Done On It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Whiskiz, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I have made my peace in regards to SotA and Full Loot and Set Back play style.

The majority and the most active and influential voices within the community do not want it. And it is frustrating swimming against a river, holding up a red flag.

So better start letting go and enjoying the easy floating along with all of you . In case i need to satisfy my other gaming urges i sneak out of the river and join the other million players in other games who share my urges.

Hugs to you all ( dropping my dagger behind my back )

Bolck and Moonshadow like this.
  2. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

For the record, I'm against the idea of a specificly PVP tailored reward system and the idea of full-loot in a game where crafting is not a cakewalk. In my opinion, this may be all we need:

Scene Loot: Whatever you collect in a adventuring scene is not bound to you till you leave the area. If you die, it is on your corpse. Your corpse cannot be looted by others unless you are flagged for Open PVP or in a Open PVP scene. The devs mentioned during the telethon that death needs to be more significant... this is that solution. If teleport-to style actions are to stay, make sure they only work on the Overworld. Suddenly, dungeons are way scarier.

Shardfalls: Are these populated with high-yield resource nodes yet? This goes with the above comment.

Aiding an Open PVP flagged Player will flag you for Open PVP until you leave the scene (something like this was mentioned during the telethon)

When you flag for Open PVP, these things become available to you:
    1. Overworld Map - Being able to see which scenes are currently populated by other Open PVP players (not just labeled PVP scenes and not the Player's names). I suggested this in the last hangout and it got a really positive response from the devs. Hopefully it's on the way.
    2. Inside Scene - A chat notification that let's you know when an Open PVP entity (no name required) has entered the scene you are in. "You are not alone" style Dark Souls invasion text.

That's it. PVP will happen and it will be exhilarating. This combined with the eventual guild warfare and the structured pvp events that already happen... good gravy that's good gravy! :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The Ultima games were first and foremost a PVE game....this game is based off those why do you sound surprised it didn't become a full blown PVP game(plus all the stuff they said in the kickstarter)

Also, they sold 250 towns....not 250 pvp towns....big distinction, hopefully you didn't purposefully misinform there.

4. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Nothing coming in soon? Not even one simple mechanic? Not even crumbs thrown to people that like as well or prefer the pvp playstyle?

(And no not gankers etc you big pve and heavily biased babies, but people that like to go out and fight more than Artifical Intelligence, who like to make enemies and friends to fight with and against to make history in the game with and randomly have fun fighting with and against other people out in the world in general to make for some awesome fun and some good stories to tell, like the time me and a friend won a 2v4, and me a couple friends actually won a 3v6 without anyone going down, was seriously some of the best fun and pvp ive had in a long time. Ironically it was being outnumbered ourselves that was the best fun. This just in, pvp and ganking are 2 completely different things *pats you simple pve players on the head*)

Well, looks like pvp is not only not a top priority, but isnt a priority at all. Guess we should be used to it, 9.5/10 games cater to the selfish pve overlords because i guess thats where the money is and they want it all or /ragequit. Nothing for pvp not one single thing or riot.

I hope the whole fighting the 10 different enemies over an over again is really as awesome as it apparently is if the "most influential voices" dont care about pvp.

Thanks guys.

Moonshadow and charock like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

They were single player.....you couldn't PvP

This is a Singleplayer/multiplayer/MMO. As soon as there is multilayer there is PvP combat akin to that in Ultima Online (which SotA is also based off)

Ariella, Bolck, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

My point was PVE is important for that reason.

It never said that in the kickstarter....matter of fact I'm pretty sure it said the opposite, that it wouldn't be PVP like ultima online. There is PVP, people are just upset it doesn't have the same amount of importance that it did in UO.

7. charock

charock Avatar

For me, I think the PvP is the great weakness of Shroud and I hope @Chris and @RichardGarriott will work on PvP.

8. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@Whiskiz

Constructive feedback is good. Non-constructive feedback is good. Asking when we might see a feature is fine.

The devs can't do all aspects at once, seeing pre-alpha is to me, akin, to reading a book with many characters and plot threads. Let's say it's game of thrones and your favourite character is Jon Snow. When you don't read about Jon Snow for a few chapters or even a whole book (outrage!) it doesn't mean that the author isn't working on him, or developing him or that he will never make an appearance or be a major part of the plot. The author just can't develop every character at once and tell every story at once.

Is it a perfect analogy? No. But sometimes the developers are working on different parts of the game, or you need to get Jon Snow to the wall before he can interact with the characters there.

Is PvP lacking? Yes.
    Is fighting anything at all lacking? Yes.
    Is crafting lacking? Yes.
    Is story lacking? Yes.
    Are available quests lacking? Yes.
    Is monster diversity lacking? Yes.

(This is not criticism, this is an acknowledgement that the game is not done!)

The game is being developed. Every time I see "are they ever going to get around to X" threads, eventually the devs DO get around to it. Not because it wasn't important but because they did other things first. Ideas percolate, and they have many ideas for pvp and from what I have seen it is high on their agenda and an obviously large number of players are interested in what they do, they are not going to ignore it. They're just not there.

Please note - there are very few pve rewards right now too. (I hate this pvp vs pve stuff since they are both needed in the game from kickstarter. Compelling Story, Interactive World, Meaningful PvP.) You get to the bottom of story areas or dungeons, and very frequently... there's nothing there! I don't see threads decrying this because presumably they will incentivize pve beyond getting gold and levels and pvp beyond bragging rights.

You may wish to check the pvp segment of the hangout, they touched on some of their thinking and upcoming plans for pvp.

Just don't despair of pvp being in the game because you haven't seen it. We haven't seen the story either, but I know it's there. They're working on it, and many other things.

Another imperfect analogy, and I love em, when building the large building next to my work it took them months to dig down and even get back up to grade. When working the interiors it looked like nothing at all was being done, because all the crap like electrical, plumbing, etc. etc. doesn't have much of a visual impact, it's not noticeable to people outside the building and it seems like nothing is being done. It's the last stages of the project when they put up walls and flooring and all those visual impacts, things they couldn't work on without everything else behind it in place.

9. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Well said !!!

4EverLost likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The thing that makes me not want to support more PvP is the amount of name calling and lack of respect by some of the vocal PvP fans. Not all PvP fans are like that.

I know many wonderful PvPers who are respectful and care for the PvP art. +1 to them!

Many times you don't like PvP so you are called a wuss, care, baby, bear, loser, pathetic, etc. I don't put up with that in the real world, why would input up with that in the virtual world?

UO had that and it was not fun starting out with PvP and being berated over and over about how much you suck while you are learning and perfecting your combat and PvP skills. I see the same thing here on the boards.

You go to a tournament and you keep seeing spam like "I want to fight so and so" over and over disputing the event. You see people fighting and when one wins the winner goes over and dances on the deceased's head. You also see this blast from the past"I roxxors u suxxors". Etc etc etc.

That rude behavior is what will kill a game.

Kara Brae, mbomber and Ice Queen like this.
  11. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

This seems like more extremely biased opinions from a pve player. "Upset pvp on here doesnt have the same amount of importance" as anything else let alone UO? We are upset it has *no* importance, that *nothing* has been done for it in years of development, not one simple mechanic not one simple incentive. Not one.

The only thing they did was just enable pvp, thats it. So lets be real here...

Its funny, i wonder all the rage and threats and how all the pve players would react if they decided to do the same thing but reversed, not one thing for pve and completely pvp, you guys really are closed minded and just dont see nor care how it is for people that have a different preference of play from pve master race.

Again i ask what i am asking for the people who like to pvp, those players that understand what pvp actually is and how abandoned it is and who like to do it, so it really has nothing to with the pve players so can the purely pve players, please, stop wasting everybodies time with ignorant statements like this and "pvp is the reward for pvp" etc.

(You really aren't bringing anything to the table here, let alone anything accurate.)

Thank you.

And when that character isnt in the entire series? When it was just a name you read at the beginning of the book, and thats all you ever saw of that character? Ever? Meanwhile the entire rest of the story goes on?

Does all of the above have many mutiple facets, been reworked and added onto and changed and improved release after release and continually getting more in depth? Yes.

Is pvp the complete opposite, has the pvp itself been just been enabled, years ago and then literally has not been touched since, not a single second spent on it, not one simple system for it since? Yes.

Big, big difference? Yes (Not trying to be smart)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter though.

Moonshadow likes this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

the problem for me here has become the fact that it seems okay for pve'rs to resort to calling pvpers names as well as showing them a general lack of respect. its not a debate, its not a 2 way street and its costing this game.

Bolck likes this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

I
    I loved how you summarized what I wrote and flipped it. Well done.

I did not call any PvPers any names.

mbomber and Ice Queen like this.
  14. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i wasn't attempting to call you out on it or anything, only meant to show that there is in deed a bias, i have personally found YOU to be quite respectful, just for clarification. my point is to hopefully shine light on something that has alienated alot of people.

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

I did not call anyone those names. Thank you for quoting me and giving me a direct lashing for actions I did not do.

mbomber and Ice Queen like this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Thank you for the clarification. Since you quoted only me it says that I did something wrong.

I understand where you are coming from. I agree that respect needs to come from both sides. :)

Kara Brae, mbomber, Ice Queen and 4 others like this.
  17. Duke Gréagóir

I am going to take your suggestion and drop out of all PvP conversations here.

It sure sounded like you were accusing me with your comments.

Any time you quote someone, the comments you make is directed towards them. The proper thing is to not quote and just add to the conversation. Then you are not singling someone out.

I'm out.

mbomber likes this.
  18. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

You seem to want to beat a dead horse and do not listen to what people say. I don't know why you do this or why your responses include things people did not say and facts that are untrue. It was already stated in this thread that there are things coming, it just hasn't happened yet. This game is still in development.

What names? PVP and Ambushing innocent people (or Ganking) kind of go hand in hand and ultimately, this is the crux of the discussion is it not? It is not enough to be able to kill others. I mean, unless you get their stuff, it's pointless right? I gotta tell you, this diatribe is exhausting. I have no desire to take what someone else has or hamper them. After a long day at work I want to sit back, relax and have fun with my friends. I get enough stress from work, I don't need more of it added into my favorite past-time. Why? Because PVE is fun to me. RPing is fun to me. Crafting is fun to me. Adventuring and exploring is fun to me. Socializing in the pub is fun to me. Call me ********, call me whatever you want but when I go to my MMORPGs, I go to partake in this kind of fun. This genre does it well and has for over 15 years. Some of the most successful games in history are PVE MMORPGs because there are alot of people like me...apparently. (but what's in a number right?) UO did alright, Darkfall, EVE and Tibia do alright. Crowfall and Albion Online will do alright as PVP MMORPGs. (Though some look alot like MOBAs) It is pretty clear to everyone, including the devs what the PVP folks are really looking for. Hell, PVE people have been looking for a good game for years and most are just...ok. If we really want to cut through the haze, I highly doubt PVPers will get what they really want regardless of how much 'discussion' goes on unless they have their own server. The PVE crowd 'might' though and that is why so many have pledged. UO, at its peak only had 250k subscribers. Today, WoW has what, 6.5mils? Darkfall...does it have 5000 subs? But as i said, what's in a number right?

mbomber likes this.
  19. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

A single facet of pvp is the skills required for combat. PvP requires combat skills and this is currently one of the biggest news items in the updates and getting a lot of attention. To say no part of pvp is being worked on is highly misleading. Zones have been added with PvP in mind, incentivizing pvp to some degree means putting high value/rare crafting materials in PvP zones - they don't yet have these materials or recipes to use the materials. They've worked in control points which will have some pvp aspects. They work on exploits related to pvp.

PvP has not existed in a vaccuum from the rest of the game, devs mention pvp in most hangouts and again in this past hangout, did you watch the pvp section of it yet?

They have touched on guild vs guild warfare, incentivizing, looting, and many things related to pvp that they will be putting in. I feel as if you are perhaps not following what they say, despite your passion for the topic.

20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i agree, the anit pk diatribes are exhausting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.