So Devs Is The PvP, Ever, Going To Get Anything Done On It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Whiskiz, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

It is interesting how you and I perceive what quoting means as two different ways of approaching things. Thank you for posting your viewpoints. I learned something. I appreciate that. :)

mbomber likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Things I'd like to see in PvP, as someone who normally sticks to PvE, but would like to engage in meaningful PvP with role-playing...

- Guilds being able to take over control points, which won't force all players into PvP, but will give them the option to charge travelers a toll of their choosing for safe passage. The toll could be increased for people with pack animals when that comes in the game, so it could be a tax on commerce. People who don't want to pay the toll have the option of PvP. This also creates a role-playing motive for guilds to fight each other, since one guild might want to defeat another one that they think has unfair tolls. Most guilds wouldn't want to charge high tolls, though, simply because they'd get more money with lower ones.

- PvPers being able to set up ambush scenes to drag other people who are flagged PvP into a fight, anywhere they want on the map, through a type of random encounter. Also, camp scenes, which would let you find other PvPers who are setting up camp, to attack them.

- A friendly duel / spar option, that would work similar to fist fights in Skyrim, which automatically stop when one of the combatants is low on health. No death happens and no loot. This would used for friendly spars, training exercises, and tournaments. While this isn't meaningful PvP, it still fits into role-playing, and I think it would encourage more PvE players into trying PvP, which would then give them confidence to fight real PvP with death-enabled, "safeties off".

- Consequences to losing fights, including looting, which is I think important to make PvP feel like it has consequences, and armor damage, which already exists, but I also support an injury system for both PvE and PvP fights. If you die either in PvE or PvP you'd get an injury debuff that doesn't go away with regular healing, and you'd need more advanced treatment. An example of an injury would be a reduction of max health or a reduction of max focus until you remove the debuff. There could also be bleeding injuries which are progressive. This, of course, wouldn't be operative in the "friendly duel" option listed above, which stops before someone gets killed.

A justice system replacing the Oracle controls would also be great, but I don't see that in E1.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    mbomber, Myrcello and Moonshadow like this.
  3. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

No I don't, I just listen to what people are really saying and not coloring it to be more palatable. The threads praising UOs PVP model. The people in the hangout going on about "meaningful" PVP. You and I both know what they are really going on about, don't we? I do think EQ had a couple unicorns but I would not call that game very ********. That or Asheron's Call. Some of it's PVE...I'd stack that up against alot of PVP any day. I did enough CRs in Hate and Fear as a Rogue to know it for truth. I also played an Enchanter. I never spent a moment in WoW though. Seemed kind of ******** to me. ;)

mbomber likes this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Can't beat a bit of meaningful PvP

And that meaning and drive is different for every PvPer out there. For me being able to attack any player regardless of level/skill or numbers makes it meaningful (I don't need any of these fancy league tables or some 'reason' to attack or war).

Oh and just for the record as I see a number of players talking about abusive language etc etc.......I can honestly say that the only abuse in game I have had so far in SotA has actually been off PvErs (true story). That being said people can obnoxious regardless of their kind of gameplay.

Oh......and PvP is actually getting better. I still have hope it will end up being good.

Kara Brae, mbomber, Abydos and 7 others like this.
  5. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Im pretty quickly getting over it though, no offense but i can see the devs don't care about the pvp side of things here, and thats fine. You can see that in the literal fact not one thing has been made for pvp in the 3 years or so the game has been developed so far.

I mean its great and all that, ***3 years later*** the (hopefully placating) ***talks*** about this for pvp and that for pvp and ***want to do*** this for pvp and ***are going to*** do that for pvp, does indeed placate a few people and somewhat covers the main issues at hand here, that those ideas are at a bare minimum of months off and even if they got put in tomorrow, were 3 years after the start of the game before pvp even got a second thought.

Imho though its looking more like at lest 4 years into the development of a game, for just one thing at least, for pvp......

But hey, theres talk about pvp systems amirite!?

I dont mean to be repetitive but note i basically had to repeat and then highlight using *** the fact that pvp talks are just that, talks, because you (pve) guys seem to think this is an acceptable amount of progress for pvp, that it doesn't matter that nothing has been done for years already, that those talks and ideas for pvp will *eventually* be implemented. To top it all off, it took them 4+ years to implement anything at all for pvp? Do not look to this game for any further support or even apparently interest (or depth) in pvp by the developers.

Might check out Albion Online personally, i have been hearing more and more about it since ive been here, ironically from people playing this (until Albion closed beta, ha) about the pvp because it does, apparently, have so much support.

And its fine, im not playing the victim to a crime by the devs, they don't have to support the way i like to play a game, it just means i have to find a company and a game that do share the interests i have, and luckily enough Albion Online and another up-and-comer Crowfall do seem to share my interests, so happy days and you pve'rs can go back to having the entire game revolve around you, without anyone having a problem with it or wanting even one thing for them or the rest of the population. :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm 100 % accurate here. I'm not making things up, also I'm not being insulting(something you seem to have a hard time not being). You keep name calling in here and your attitude towards us other players is telling.

I'm following what was announced on the kickstarter, that's a fact. Are you upset you didn't get UO level PVP? Well, it was never part of the pitch.

They changed PVP from the kickstarter by adding open pvp anywhere...that was never in the initial plan.

I will tell you a secret, insulting others will get them to respond to you and it most likely be not what you want.

mbomber likes this.
  7. mercster

mercster Avatar

Without addressing the PvP situation directly, I'd like to make a short comment. I know you've heard it before, and it doesn't assuage your concerns, but I'll put it in all caps to make it seem very important.

THIS IS A PRE-ALPHA PIECE OF SOFTWARE.

Reading some of these threads, I get the feeling that a portion of people don't really understand what this means. Years ago, when I worked in IT (UNIX systems administration), when we got a piece of software, or a feature implemented, and it was pre-alpha, we knew this meant "This probably doesn't work right, do not count on it and test it at your peril." This usually counted for alpha and beta releases as well. And this was in-house development work, where there were no NDAs or possible spoiler issues.

I understand frustration, and feedback, as was said above, is great. But (without pointing fingers) some of you start to sound like you're hopeless, this game will never change, this sucks, maybe this game isn't for me, I've given up, etc. Instead of being so overwhelmingly negative, maybe you could put your energy into constructive criticism, in tandem with a healthy dose of plain ol' patience?

EDIT:
    I think we're spoiled by the fact that this is labelled pre-alpha, but that the engine is well-developed and that many of the game's systems make it roughly playable. It doesn't "feel" like pre-alpha, but it is from the developers' point of view. Try to keep that in mind.

Just sayin'. </$0.02>

8. mercster

mercster Avatar

I understand that, but you don't have to pay "a lot of money" to access the pre-alpha of SotA. Only $45 is required to get in and start playing (and start complaining). If you paid a lot of money, that's great. I upgraded to Ancestor during the telethon yesterday, but I'm not expecting all of my wants to be immediately delivered because of it. Anyone spending anything on this game should know that it is pre-alpha, whether they spend $45 or $4500.

If you pay attention, every time you log into SotA there is a click-through dialog that makes this perfectly clear. Of course we don't read it after awhile and just click to get into the game, but maybe we should read it every time (and read it before losing all faith in the game and/or getting vicious with each other in the forums, about features that aren't even 10% there yet.) :)

mbomber likes this.
  9. mercster

mercster Avatar

Sure, I get that. And I don't mind complaining so much, I'm just sincerely concerned about the mental state of the "All hope is lost, this game has failed me, the end of the planet is at hand!" folks. Complain all you want, just don't get so negative about it when it's not even done.

Oh believe me I understand...I'm on a fixed income and $45 is not to be sneezed at. But you know, $45 gets you not only pre-alpha access, but obviously the full version of the released game (well, Episode 1 anyway). And I remember when I was a kid that top-shelf NES games like the first Zelda sold for $60-$70 at release. I don't buy many games so I can't comment on the average price of Steam games.

Well, if your defense of all the hand-wringing is "People are stupid and lazy", I really can't offer any advice there. :p But you're probably right.

mbomber likes this.
  10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

You are right.

but ..... :D

mercster and mbomber like this.
  11. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

And that justifies the fact that for the 3 years in development, that every single other system implemented has been worked on, upgraded, changed added to and generally developed, yet not one, single, thing, has been done for the pvp system?

I still smh to those few that dont understand this simple concept and still declare the current progression (or literal complete lack thereof) is acceptable because A - it is still pre-alpha or B - There have been, talks, about this that and the other for it.....

Would you accept no quests, no gear, no dungeons, no bosses, no monsters for that matter, no nothing, not one single thing made for pve, after 3 years in development of a game, because its pre-alpha? No, every other player would burn the devs at the stake.

Some people just really aren't understanding the simple concept of the main problem here, you may need to go back and read everything properly, actually read it and understand it properly.

Which of course you didn't because its only about pvp ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  12. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

At least there is bulk forum PvP to be had

mercster and Abhann like this.
  13. mercster

mercster Avatar

What?

Hahaaaaa, YES!

mbomber likes this.
  14. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I'm not a PvPer but I'm curious, @Whiskiz, what features you feel are missing. In addition, I'd like you to imagine the underlying mechanics that need to be working to implement those features. For instance, one can't implement cover if line of sight isn't working; you can't implement a leader board if damage and kill count are not accurately tracked;it makes little sense to fine tune a buff if the overall balance is out of whack.

So, what is it you think they could have implemented given the current state of combat?

mercster and mbomber like this.
  15. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

I provided an example off the top of my head in my second post:

"I mean something fun like you can designate maybe 5 plots in a 50 plot POT to have a control point, and mutliple guilds in a POT can have a control point each and basically each control point that one guild captures maybe gives you like 1% increase training buff and/or movement speed buff or atk speed etc, so people are always going to back in to try control them before level grinding and in general.

And then pvp'rs can stay in for their constant fun. and itd give guild pvp'rs a job, they can try and keep a hold of the points for the pve'rs while the pve'rs do their pve, teamwork, everyone gets their own playstyle, it benefits everyone, its easy, fun and makes everyone happy and work together in both pve and pvp :)"

No penalizing people for playing, i.e taking their gear from them (full loot) and that gets both pve and pvp working together, gives pvp a job, isnt all that major or game breaking for the pve overlords but still somewhat valuable depending on the exact % especially since the craze is levelling (for 1% training gain or exp increase per control point) etc

I could and would think about it further, go into more detail if i thought it was going to get a second look, but until then thats just one simple example it took me literally 5min to come up with, as i made this thread. Maybe i should ask for a job, because imagine what i could come up with, that works for everybody, in 3 years.

mbomber and margaritte like this.
  16. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Aren't Battle Banners a step in the right direction? As we've seen over and over the devs introduce something and then iterate on it over several releases. Personally, I've been waiting and waiting to see ANYTHING to do with fishing. At least you've got Shardfalls and PvP towns.

mbomber likes this.
  17. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Aha, yeah, at least we have zones to do it in. many many more zones to do pve in not to mention all the obvious support for it on top, but at least they flipped a switch to enable pvp and gave us zones to do it in before washing their hands of it :p

mbomber likes this.
  18. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

You spoke for me also. I was glad to read the reply. I would like to read far more about this also. I PVE far more than I PvP but don't mind PvP the odd time and I strongly desire a game that allows different play styles. Since my focus is not PvP I would like many more details of what most PvP types want.

mercster likes this.
  19. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I'm not grasping what exactly it is you want. I can't get too excited about things before the last wipe, but I log in and putter around. The first time I have ever been able to find a large lot available happened just before the new release. It was a long wait, nearly a year. I enjoy gathering and crafting most in these games as it relaxes me. There is much work to be done to develop the system fully so I must wait patiently. I can however duel. Other players will always provide more of a challenge than PVE monsters. So I would think that alone should provide some satisfaction for the PVPs. Please educate me about what exactly you folks want.

Kara Brae likes this.
  20. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Someone else also mentioned RP situations to encourage pve players, though personally i dont mind if pve players join or not.

But with my own twist on one, for example, the roaming overworld wondering enemies that they are currently working on? That you can run into them for a pve perennial trail style fight and random zone? well there could be overworld caravans or something that move from one city to the next, maybe with a 30min timer (all numbers subject to change of course, just giving set numbers now for eaxmple) and you can, depending on your virtue direction for more RP for PvE, (or not if it doesnt work) talk to either order aligned npcs or chaos aligned npcs in towns, and they give you quests to either attack the caravan or defend the caravan. Etc. As you rise in order or chaos or the location of the town, you could receive different, more challenging, more rewarding pvp situation quests/missions.

Its great how (most) pve players dont care about pvp players or their pvp, but pvp players still try to think about how it can work for pve players too if they are interested in it :p

See its really not that hard to come up with something, anything. of course this idea requires a bit more time on the logistics, but still very possible.

mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.