So Devs Is The PvP, Ever, Going To Get Anything Done On It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Whiskiz, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

OK. Constructive Feedback

1. Currently you activate the PvP always at the oracle - a PvP Sign shows up glowing in the air.

-this PvP Sign should stay hidden from all PvE Players - it is a information they do not require, it is a information i do not want to share with them.

2. Guards need to have a reason they are there.
    If i have PvP activatet always i should still be save in Towns with Guards - Just like in Ultima - Getting attacked in a Town should lead to Guards doing something!
    It is very logical that Guards would not tolerate killing within Towns.
    It could result in the players respawning in the Clink, or prison.

3. As we can Duel each other already without requiring to go to the Oracle to activate PvP always - there is no benefit of doing so. The only Benefit is being able to get attacked by suprise, or attacking someone who is unprepared.
    That is for me not a meaningful reason to go to the Oracle.

4. If i am at the Oracle it should be a "meaningful decision" - a decision that has a motivation behind it.

- the Oracle should ask me about the purpose i want to make such a decision to be able to attack others always, or give me a reason that this is beneficial for the oracle.

- i may tell the Oracle that i hate all Outlanders and feel like they do not deserve to be in Novia - then we could have a choice - Factions decision- The ones protecting the Outlanders from me who decided that i need to kill all.
    - i may tell them i hate all members of Pax Lair and want this Player Town to burn - then maybe he gives me a mission that i am able to attack all Pax Lair members who have PvP activatet and if i succeed in killing 100 of them they will have a penalty on moral in the city.

But at current State activating PvP is of course just the same as asking for a Duel.

5. There is nothing against giving the Oracle a third option - i mean it - nothing speaks against the Oracle giving you the option to request to join "Full Loot PvP".
    - as Full Loot PvP has a reason already within - killing for Loot - there is a logical motivation behind it.

- and of course you could only full loot the players who also activate it at the Oracle.
    - and again if you let the PvP Tags only be visible to players who have PvP Tag activatet and not for PvE Players then this would not interrupt in any way PvE worlds and it would keep my personal interest hidden from PvE players - what i find good.

So this is my feedback about the current "activate PvP at the Oracle".

It is currently meaningless to me - it does not provide an incentive or "story driven motivation".
    I can duel players already without going to the Oracle.

The punishment, the outcome is the same - Nothing

Kind regards

Myrcello

Moonshadow, Maeryck and mbomber like this.
  2. mercster

mercster Avatar

LOL...you're a funny guy, whiskiz :) It's very easy to come up with high-level (as in, abstract and unspecific) "concepts" of how you'd like the game to run. People do it all the time on the forum, and for what it's worth, that's fine.

Implementing those ideas cleanly, balancing the impact it will have on all other game systems, engineering the technical details in a robust fashion, and avoiding it becoming a boondoggle are issues that you cannot even come close to conceiving of without being in the loop, seeing the code, understanding the dynamics between the game systems and grasping the direction of the project on a very low level.

It's fine to suggest fanciful ideas of how you'd like the game to work, but when you start telling everyone "Hey, it's easy!"...come now.

3. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

As someone who does not engage in PVP, I find this suggestion...a good one. PVPers get what they want (or do they?) and the game does not change for anyone.

4. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I think this oft mentioned distinction between PvP and PvE players is squishier than people think. I suck at PvP. I'm old, my dexterity is poor and my wrists are shot. Nobody enjoys doing things they suck at, especially when they can't improve. That said, I enjoy the fact that my town can get in to a conflict with another, that armies can clash, that I can whack my dunderhead apprentice upside the head. I'm happy to be cannon fodder for the greater good.

What I fear is attracting players whose sole motivation for playing is to PvP. In EVE Online friends are blue, enemies are red and strangers are grey (or something). There are two approaches to PvP: Not Red, Don't Shoot and Not Blue, Shoot It. I fear that many would have SotA PvP become the latter, which means gankfest to those of us who don't focus on PvP. I don't want to live in a virtual world where war is not possible, but neither do I want a world where every adventure leads to death at the hands of another player.
    --------

I had a conversation with a couple of the Devs at one of the UO Fanfests. I realized then that Devs and players have very different views on game features. A Player thinks about what is fun, a Dev's first thought is how a feature can be abused and exploited. We've all seen how players will hammer on a feature to find any weakness, any advantage. We've also seen how players will scream and rant when a loophole is plugged. As a player with no experience in game development it's difficult to think like a Dev. Watching the hangouts, telethons and interviews has helped a lot in that regard.

5. cariac

cariac Avatar

+ for pvp development

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.