SotA Dressing now to shy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

As a woman, I'd like to say that it doesn't bother me much if female Avatars can wear skimpy clothing - so long as there are also more demure options, and so long as male Avatars have the same range of revealing/demure options available to them. If it's not a female-only thing then it's not sexist, and if there's a wide choice of styles then it's not oppressive. In my opinion, of course. :)

As I said in my previous post, what I hope for are plenty of options so that everyone can find something they'll be happy to dress their Avatar in, regardless of gender. I would personally prefer not to see a bunch of female characters running around in very revealing outfits (unless they're RPing ladies of negotiable virtue, I suppose!) - but that's because I don't think it really suits the setting, not because I don't think such outfits should exist. On the other hand, these Avatars are supposed to have come from Earth and will presumably bring their clothing preferences with them (along with a ton of other ideas, morals and so on), so there should be a good selection of clothes available in-game for people to choose from.

It makes no difference to me whether said outfits are designed by men or women, as long as there is variety! :)

2. rild

rild Avatar

Options is the key word here. Plurality creates stability

3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I think in regards to male outfits they often tend to end up looking all like wrestlers are hidden under it.

If i want to play the raistlyn type of weak looking powerful mage or the agile, sneaky assasin the body type does not fit.

I hope if the stretch goal elf is reached a alternative body type comes available for male and females.
    Looking forward to that evil looking red mage cloak.

rild, Sir Cabirus and Time Lord like this.
  4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

One reason is because there are lots of males who intend to play female characters and females who want to play male characters, therefore it effects us all equally

rild, tekkamansoul and Time Lord like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Lopsided Choice Availability in Shopping"
    I think it was the dated wedding outfits that first brought my attention to the need of variety, as well as the thought of comic book style amplifications of our real life self expressions.

I believe that if Portalarium does not present 2 drastically different styles whenever they are making them available to us, then one side of the amplification will be satisfied, while the other may feel being unrepresented.
    Currently there are no risky or flashy fashions available to balance the Portalarium offering.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Btw. I am very happy that Portalarium is not a male only staff.

I think the overall consent of the thread was "variety"

And no matter what the developers design. I hope all end up with something they like ingame.

It is their turn now.

Khloec, Jackx, Sir Cabirus and 2 others like this.
  7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I used to know a couple of men that were cross-dressers (in real life). They paid more attention to women's attire than most women did. At parties, they were so decked out, they looked better than half the women there. It was great they had a choice, and acceptance, to dress as they wanted.

But if they were to tell me that I should be dressing exactly like them (a game has somewhat limited options), then yes I would have a definite problem with that.

I'd have a problem if other women told me I had to dress skimpy when I think it illogical for such a game.

I'm all for people wanting to dress the way they want, and lots of options. But I will stand by my original statement, whether it's offensive or inflammatory. I think women's opinions should be taken more seriously, on what they want to wear as women.

I would not expect a game to entertain one's fantasies about cross dressing or immoral conduct. It will happen no matter what, but I see no reason to encourage it.

The majority of people posting in this thread are men. I find it pretty amusing, and insulting, that men don't even bother talking about their own clothing but post wall after wall of questionable pictures of women in revealing clothing.

Dadalama likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.