Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Speed on overland map

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Broken record but ....... why are you torturing us? Please speed it up. Thanks.

EDIT: OK, so when I started playing R19 I was in the Hidden Vale. I had a constant, very slow, walking speed whether I was on the road or elsewhere. Now I'm in Novia and the speed is good and varies by terrain. So I don't know whether that's a system issue, or a game issue.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Ok, so how long would you like it to take to cross the map? Currently it is under 5 minutes to cross the map.

Also, just to be clear, in the long run the largest travel time sink will probably be encounters, not walking.

3. JDGamers

JDGamers Avatar

I think the issue is not necessarily the speed, but that you will randomly slow down to a snails pace. Why can't you just always run?

4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I dunno, twice as fast as the current speed? Not roadrunner fast, but speedwalking fast.

I understand it doesn't take long to cross the map. Because the map is small. Which is OK as long as it has sufficient content. And the content is growing and will continue to do so.

I don't understand why because we have a relatively small map, we must therefore adjust the speed to super-slow to make the map seem bigger. It's artificial, and IMO it detracts substantially from game play.

Ice Queen, Chatele, Beli and 2 others like this.
  5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

For me, it is now too fast. Imagine when we ll have horses.

Hermetic likes this.
  6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

When will that be, I wonder. Meantime we should snail around until we have horses?

Beli and Ice Queen like this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think the speed on roads is fine, but the speed in rough terrain is still a little slow. I can see some slowdown, but perhaps not as dramatic. This seriously discourages exploration as it seems to take 2-3 times as long to get across the same amount of space when there are no roads.

Chatele likes this.
  8. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Agreed and although this is a legit question:
    ...I think that ultimately there will be a number of ways to travel at higher rates down the line. So why artificially boost the level of foot travel (in the interest of exploration or not)? You know it would become a cryfest the day they had to wind it back down again. I do agree that they need to take a look at the 'rough terrain' clipping though...

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The old discussion ;)
    If we take it from a realism standpoint, then the question remains: Why can the hero cross a whole continent in a few minutes but it takes much longer to explore a scene? Wouldn't the speed of day and night have to be adjusted on the overland map as well?

I like the speed as it is now.

Bowen Bloodgood and Mastese like this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I thought the part of the map we have access to was only a small fraction of the actual map ?

11. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

To the speed we were at before you slowed us back down would be great. It's aggravatingly slow right now. It's so frustratingly slow, when I do have time to play, I just log in and refresh my houses and then log back out, because I don't want to creep slowly on the overhead map.
    I feel like we've been slowed down because some could see how small the world was when we could move faster. To be fair not all the areas are filled in yet, there's less to explore, and roaming encounters don't work properly yet, so later it would seem bigger I'm sure. What is the purpose of slowing us down to a snails crawl? Please don't take that in a snarky way, I'm really wondering why, what's purpose of slowing us down like we're walking in molasses? Perhaps it's something technical I'm not aware of, I'm just wondering the purpose of it. :)

FrostII, Budner, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

The overland speed hasn't changed AFAIK. The slow down speed up stuff sounds like you're not using roads. Travel speed on roads is faster, forests and swamps slower.

13. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I don't mind the speed so much, however, would it not make sense to have the ability to consume focus and sprint as you can in the world scenes?

Net likes this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What would you suggest? We travel as fast as we would if we had horses and then when we get horses slow everything down so that horse speeds aren't too fast?

It is far easier to start with less and give more.. than it is to give more and then have to take away. If everything is sped up now.. and has to be slowed later.. people would be even less happy than they are now.

15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

That's not the case for me, it's slow even on the roads, which is the only way I travel if I can possibly help it.

16. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

It makes no logical sense to me why we can't Sprint on the overworld map.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    essentially you are running at about 500mph on the overland map. You are crossing over hexes every couple seconds.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Do coconuts work on the overland map in R19?

[edit] Just tried it and no, they don't work on the overland map. :-(

19. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

This would be a fantastic opportunity to introduce Adventure-Skills, like Pathfinding, Scouting, etc. for faster travel on the overland map (I really miss out of combat/crafting skills)

20. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I think it's the random parts where you just start walking that makes it super annoying. If you're deep in the trees or mountains or some other odd terrain I understand slowing down. But when your mainly on the path or barely off it you should always be able to run, unless you want to walk for some reason. Maybe there could be a way to toggle running on or off with a key or mouse click, that would override if you went far enough into a harsher terrain. Although it may not technically take that long to walk places as is it feels as if we are being purposely forced to walk most of the time for really no good reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.