Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Speed on overland map

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I don't see why every POT can't be connected to the underworld/catacombs/sewers....if that's what the owner wants. It seems to me that would simply be adding a few hundred doors to the existing sewers. How hard could that be?

2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Not sure it's that easy. POTs are scattered everywhere, there will be hundreds of them. Not all adjacent to existing sewers. Need to build new sewers, entrances, exits. Seems fairly labor intensive to me.

Other thing is, a sewer system should branch out from big cities, but should connect to a rural POT. Just wouldn't make sense for people to ever dig from Ardoris to some little POT in the mountains.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, it is small, and making us slower doesn't make it feel any bigger, it's just frustrating instead.

4. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Single speed for travel regardless of terrain type and brighter more visible roads to help guide people may be for some but personally I am not fond of the idea.
    *Bites tongue and walks away*

5. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I must be the only person that thinks this entire underworld of sewers connecting everything just seems kinda silly...

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The sewers would be the access to the caves of the underworld which would reconnect to the sewers.

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No, I agree with you. I always though that the sewers would lead to some big, gigantic underworld which lies benath Novia (similar to the underworld in Ultima 5). And from there you could enter other sewers but not that the sewers of say Ardoris are directly connected to the sewers of Kingsport...

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I was hoping the Underworld was going to be like the Overworld; a separate map with its own PoI and entrances to caves and sewers that led to the surface. More like Ultima V's Underworld. Instead, it seems to be a bunch of interconnected sewers, which (while great for limited areas) makes the world seem ever smaller than the Overworld map does. I mean really, how do you get from Kingsport to the mainland through a short sewer system?

Hoping this gets expanded greatly.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Sewers just seem to be really awkward for me to travel in, but maybe its because I've died so many times in them during the Grand Tour a couple releases back. I'd rather risk random encounters and run to where I'm going.

Its great to have what the actual speeds were. I think something like 1.0, 0.75, and 0.6 would have worked well, especially if we can carry gear to reduce slowdowns (woodsman's gear to travel through forests, grapnel and lines for rocky areas, snowshoes for arctic, etc). I'm really looking forward to better roads; depending on the monitor, they can be really hard to pick out, especially at night.

smack and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Also, Sewers as people suggest above, are just the entry point into the real underworld play spaces that will include both PVE and PVP spaces. More to come on that in the future!

11. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

I as well as you do not want the game watered down. I do however want the game to be a challenge not a nuisance. Making me waste a lot of time on an Overland Map is to me a Nuisance. If however you want to make it more challenging for me gathering resources when I'm within that instance, or you want to make it so it takes me a year before I can become totally qualified to make a great suit of armor, or you want to make it so it take 2000 or more of one iron ore and the same of another ore to make just one piece of armor and it would take the same amount of time as slow travel on the Overland Map or even longer then fine. The key is at the end, I feel like I accomplished something and feel proud to have done so. It was a true challenge not a nuisance. I spent well over a year developing my skills as a Blacksmith/Miner/Carpeneter etc. in UO and I felt like I accomplished something every time I reached a goal. So in that respect, you and I agree. They ruined the game years later making it into a 24 hour, I'm a Grand Master Routine. I see no challenge however in it taking me several minutes to walk across an Overland Map at a slow rate of speed. I'm not asking for Speedy Gonzolas here either. I just want to travel at a click or two faster than it is now in R19 and to have that ability whether I'm in a woods, tall grass or on a path. Right now it is set up so I have to walk at a super slow pace when going through a woods or tall grass etc. When I was a teenager and underage, I never had any problem running through the woods, in the dark, when a Park Ranger showed up. And I was two sheets to the wind by then. (Not recommended you try this). Point is I don't walk through high grass either, like there might be a poisonous snake waiting for me.

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I am glad we agree on a few things. About the overland map, it has much more that is not implemented yet. Random encounters and trying to avoid them will factor in with the off road/on road travel speeds. I understand the dilemma at the moment however.

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yes, once all the map and encounters and other content is added, it will hopefully be more enjoyable.

But as you said, it is a "dilemma at the moment" - and this is the moment that we are in.

I really wish they would consider holding off on slow Overworld map speed until all the future content (that will make it worthwhile and not seem so tedious) is in place...

Aimend and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Problem with this would be that then people would get accustomed to the fast speed and when it would be reduced then the discussion would start anew.

15. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Chris, If it were a 1-3 minute walk that would not be an issue. But most of the time that is not the case. I'm not talking about strolling from Ardoris to Soltown. I am talking about exploring the map and finding new and fun things to see and do. along with discovering the new content each Release Just trying to find HOW to get somewhere is bad enough and throw in the slowness and it becomes unbearable. I searched for how to get to Quel and after 30+ minutes of slowly trying 3 different ways that 'looked' like it would get me there and didn't, I gave up and logged off. After a few hours I searched the forums for someone to tell me how to get there. I shouldn't have to do that - no player should. That was 30+ minutes of being in the game and being so frustrated that you stop playing.

These are not complaints - but they are huge frustration points for many players. And not completely sure how some people view these as asking for hand holding. These items do not even come close to expecting hand holding. I want a challenging and fun experience - not an easy play time. But I also do not want to be so frustrated with restrictions that I want to log out of the game and do something else. Just knowing now that there will be features in place to resolve some of the travel frustrations in the future is good to know. I have not heard anyone from the development team actually state that (but I also don't live on the boards reading all the Posts either because I am too tied up trying to get across the overland map at a snails pace ;)).

Thanks for caring and for helping us all have a fun game to play regardless of how petty we get sometimes.

Chatele and Ice Queen like this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hallelujah !
    Thank you very much........ ;)

Chatele likes this.
  17. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

You're the best - thanks!

Just tested it out and WOW! I will now be able to get places with ease and Test, Test, Test. Whether it stays this way forever or not, this will be very advantageous for those of us who want to explore / test every inch of this world. Was able to go across the map twice, enter 3 separate locations, explore them fairly well, test a couple of things, and all of this in about 30 minutes. Can't wait to see more locations.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Gamician likes this.
  18. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Cant speak for anyone else but me but... *Does Snoopy Happy Dance Over Faster Overland Speed* Thank you Thank you!

Gamician likes this.
  19. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Even at night? (Sorry... I had to... :rolleyes: *whistles innocently* )

Chatele and smack like this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

Well, for one, POTs don't exist in the offline game. So they'd have to design two sets of underworld connection maps. Plus, they can't guarantee that a POT will be permanent and thus causes zoning problems if it ever decides to just pack up and quit, or fails to maintain the minimum population % (so it even appears on the overworld), or fails to pay its upkeep (post-launch POTs), or...

Famous last words... :)

Well, that's happening with just about every game system that gets "balanced" to be more "final". Look at all the rage threads that popped when /zoning was "nerfed" even though everyone knew it was only a "test" feature. And right now, look at all the rage about training cost :)

I can't wait to see all the rage threads once they "balance" the rest of the game :rolleyes:

Perhaps we need another watermark for the client that says "This game will only get harder with every Release". ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.