Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Speed on overland map

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

They need to put in more overworld lampposts along the roads, at least the well traveled ones. And fog of war, especially over the wilderness areas.

2. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I am still hoping for a system of moonshine and varying levels of darkness depending on which/how many moons are currently in the sky at night. This way there could be a *true night* of near total darkness yet most often one or more moons will add a little light to the world.

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Agree completely.... Moonlight is so much more enjoyable to travel in.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Chris created a huge sewer system over a weekend.

How hard is it to add a three doors that go to PaxLair, Port Phoenix and Vengeance? When a new POT is put into the game, give them one new door. If a POT someday leaves the game (I don't think this will ever happen) then remove that door or just lock it and put a sign there saying that the door is out of operation.

HECK, the connection to the sewers could be one of the "NPC buildings or Shrines" that comes with the POT!

I'm not trying to make tons of work for anyone, it just seems like something that wouldn't be that difficult or costly to the development team.

5. smack

smack Avatar

It's work nonetheless, and I'm just saying it's likely a bit more complicated than that than just adding 3 doors. And it's actually 6 doors: 3 in the POT and 3 in the sewer system. See what I did there? The more you dig into this, the more internal and underlying small things that adds to all that work, and it's gotta be a good solution and not a poor user experience that also doesn't conflict with design and vision. The solution to just put a lockable door that does nothing is against that, e.g. Richard is against locked doors that lead to nowhere. But most critically of all, this is a new feature request, i.e. feature creep.

If everyone's cool with that and delaying the game further, then why limit this to the 250+ POTs? I say we do this for player homes too as that has actually been requested many times over the past couple years. We can add a sewer connection basement level to the Add On Store too. I'm sure Chris can do this over a couple weekends. :)

6. Drocis the Devious

I'll let the devs decide how this impacts the game. I think it would be a valuable feature to have.

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Logged in today and with the new patch speed on the overworld map was just right!

majoria70, Montaigne, Mishras and 3 others like this.
  8. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

I'm fine with traveling to a city to start my Sewer crawls. Not sure why we would want them linked up to the Player Towns. I do like that the different town sewers are linked up. When I'm out on a hunt with my bud's its fun to explore one then go from there to the next one and so forth. Now as we get new areas opened up with new cities and therefore new towns will make it interesting how we try to plan out ending up on where we exit out. That way we can then go to an outside location as well. Look forward to seeing how they change up the look and feel of new sewer/dungeon locales. Not to mention the types of monsters. *rubs hands with excitement*

FrostII likes this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Absolutely! Now I feel like I'm moving at a "reasonable" speed once again...
    Thx devs.

majoria70, Montaigne, Mishras and 2 others like this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Sure, as do I. What I was getting at was this shouldn't be limited to POT owners, but any property owner. This feature has been requested long before POTs even existed, so it should be open and given to all.

So before we get all comfortable about the movement speeds, we still don't know what they'll be like between now and launch. Having said that, let's consider the two following scenarios:

1) Keep the normal movement speed for all terrain, regardless of its ruggedness. You are never slowed in any way and get where you need to go. However, unless you have the proper gear, you suffer health and/or durability loss to your gear. Make up reasons: thorns, sharp rocks, thick brush/branches, etc.

2) Keep the normal movement speed only for regular terrain, but you are slowed in rugged terrain. You will need the appropriate gear to give you the speed boost and provide protection.

Which is more acceptable? Feel free to propose alternates!

FrostII likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If I had to choose, I'd go for #1... Although it might be a bit of a nightmare for the dev's to determine where "regular" ends and "rugged" begins in a given area.
    I'm all in for some degree of "realism" regarding where you can move at current speeds, just don't know how hard it would be for the dev's to implement...

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think they just need to make the radius of a torch is large enough and bright enough so players can see the roads around them. If they do that, they could make the rest of the map as dark as they want. Players only need to be able to navigate the roads.

I think 'fog of war' could happen naturally just through confining the players perspective so he can't see over mountains, for instance, plus making forests a bit more dense and have the shadows of trees cover any movement that's happening within them. So rather than introducing an extra FoW effect, I think they can naturally achieve it through natural effects on the map view.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Miracle Dragon and smack like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

I would be fine having all home owners given this option, that would be great. But I see no reason to stop POT owners from having this as a first step. There's no reason not to allow POT owners to have this option, it's completely consistent with the current gaming environment.

14. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

We have to think about overland speed similarly to how U4/U5 treated walking through difficult terrain.

In U4, if you tried to walk through forests or mountains, you'd occasionally just not get through it with a slow progress message, and you'd have to press in that direction again. Horses moved 2 tiles at a time, meaning you had a better chance of moving. If you failed to move into the square, you'd keep pounding that direction button.

In U5, this system improved, where each time you crossed rough terrain, you'd still be slowed down but your character would still move, and it would be the monsters that would get a "free invisible" turn, meaning they'd move 2-3 tiles at once in the space of your single turn. But from the perspective of the player, it never really felt like YOU were being held back, making it a much more satisfying process.

I don't know how this would work in SotA since it's not turn based, but the point is that when we see slow speeds in a forest, we are powerless to do anything except keep holding down the direction and wait.

I think that's the best argument to keep the speeds high everywhere and think of some other way to give the player some punishment that isn't in the form of slow/agonisingly slow movement.

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Whats the story about the 250 POTs ? you guys are kidding ?

16. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Holy mother of... so why is there a "race" to acquire plots ? Since we know the cities are going to be empty and people will go there only if theres quests and special vendors ?

18. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Because having land and having land in an useful place are two worlds apart. We already discussed this at length.

Don't you know the mantra of real estate? "Location, location, location". Now you do.

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Makes me really happy to understand nothing about it :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.