Stretch Goals: Why are you hiding them? (and) Why I likely won't pledge toward them.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Alpha Protocol, Jan 1, 2015.

?

Did you know there are stretch-goals....?

1. Yes, I know they exist.

73 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. No, where are they?

7 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. What's a "stretch-goal"?

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. The stretch-goal campaign should be more effectively marketed.

54 vote(s)
    44.3%
  5. The current stretch-goal campaign design is fine the way it is.

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. I pledged for at least one stretch-goal.

33 vote(s)
    27.0%
  7. I would pledge for one if I knew they were there.

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. I don't care for stretch goals or polls concerning them.

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Look, would I like to see the stretch goals met? Yes I would.

But I'm not going to lie to people about them so I can get what I want. I'm one part giving the devs feedback that they need to sweeten the pot, and one part telling potential players to realize what they're getting themselves into. Buy and upgrade your pledge, but don't waste money on stretch goals.

I would LOVE to be able to tell the new people something different, but I can't do that in good conscience. The stretch goal store offers some interesting assets that unfortunately are not very unique because of cry babies that yell "pay to win" about everything. Even when it's obviously not pay to win.

Caska DiFumarate likes this.
  2. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Putting money on these "stretch goals" is about as big as a gamble as jumping off a cliff and learning how to fly on the way down. Captain Jack would know.

Captain Jack might be a much younger gamer compared to you Ultima guys, but he does and has played many other games. What we are seeing here isn't unusual, it is just marketed so badly it looks unusual. This is how games work now.

Captain Jack donates a spanish fleet worth of gold to the ship "stretch goal" and eventually by 2025 when the last installment of the series comes out he can finally have a ship! Then he will begin saving up another spanish fleet because as soon as Captain Jack's uber special collectors edition "stretch goal" founder lord benefactor ship has already been put out of service by the brand new uber special collectors edition "stretch goal" founder lord benefactor dark timber dyed hull ship.

But what can ya do lads? Captain Jack would never say it is useless and to never donate, Captain Jack says donate ye who have deep lord pockets and mom's wallet so we can all start the collection of these things much sooner.

Savvy?

3. Drocis the Devious

I would suggest that if you don't have people yelling "pay to win!" then you probably haven't done a very good job incentivizing your stretch goal store.

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It depends if you're convinced you're going to be playing this game for years to come. If you think these stretch goals are coming regardless in Episode 2 and you want a unique/rare item, then buy the stretch goal items, even if you don't think they will be unlocked for Episode 1. You'll have a unique looking pack animal/mount/whatever when it does finally work in Episode 2.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    So why not message the devs on this if you want the devs to know your opinion. This thread is definitely public and will cast a negative light on the stretch goals, so I am confused. I for one want to have the stretch goals implemented as fast as possible, and many other people that have contributed do also. I like you Drocis, and you have many valuable arguments, but I have to try to counter negative arguments that affect other peoples pledges. I hope you understand.

6. Drocis the Devious

I've sent the devs numerous private and public requests to better the stretch goals. Many or most of these requests have gone unanswered. Which is fine, I know the devs read everything they can (have time for) and I'm sure they have been considering their options throughout the lifespan of the stretch goals.

But I'm more interested in the truth than I am what's best for the game's bottom line, Ravicus. And the truth is, I don't like the stretch goals. We really shouldn't have an environment where I'm not allowed to say this. I don't think I'm the only one that feels this way judging by the lack of participation in the stretch goals. I don't think that has anything to do with people "not knowing they're there".

I also hope you're not questioning my want for this game to succeed. The whole reason I'm making a stink about this is BECAUSE I want the game to succeed. It doesn't help the game to quietly watch it sink into the bottom of the ocean. When you see a major hole (the stretch goal store) in the haul of the ship, you start bailing water and asking people to help you. You don't stand there and tell everyone that you're glad you'll have an opportunity for this unexpected swim.

7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

My prediction:

Once the Devs get closer to implementing individual stretch goal concepts (i.e. have the time for it), the price required to achieve the goals will drop and be prioritized based on total funds already achieved.

If anyone thinks Portalarium won't take the time to integrate mounts until that ridiculous money goal is achieved, you're just looking for reasons to panic.

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. silencer

silencer Avatar

No.

You are specifically making a pledge. Not a payment, not a transaction, but a pledge. You are getting stuff in return, but you also typically get stuff if you donate to a charity. The bigger your donation, the bigger the reward.

Yes, the general agreement is that the pledge is for a specific goal, but just like pre ordering a game, you are giving money as a sign of trust/support and specifically because you want the game to be as good as it can be.

These are not microtransatctions which are closer to what you described and treating them as such is treating the entire system wrong.

Of course that does not mean you can't have specific expectations. But you are contributing money for development of a game and getting shinies in return. The very nature of the pledge implies altruism and approaching it like you are suggesting is a very common misunderstanding imo.

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

$600 is not far off a holdfast.

So far i spent $1200 on my pledge, $200 ish on addons and stretch goals, and have $1200 sitting there for my town (will finalise that when i get more info on PoT's). I have NEVER put that kind of cash into any kind of crowd funding ever. The reason i do so here is that the combination of who is working on this project and the fact that Ultima 7 was pretty much the first game i played that made me DREAM about a game world after i turned it off. To me this seems like a game that is being made by gamers FOR gamers and not just a short lived grab at my wallet. By not trying to force my money into their pockets they have effectively got more cash out of me than i would have given pretty much any other cause or organisation. No its not a charity but it also is not a business structured to maximise profit by any means possible... which sadly most game these days are. I support this project beyond my means because i plan to make it my home for the next decade.

10. silencer

silencer Avatar

Wut? You do realize that those are informal at best and typically sold en-masse, right?

And yet the moment you give them your money and get the e-shinies you are promised the transaction is done. You are not paying for a product, you are contributing to development of a game. This is not a microtransaction, as I've already mentioned.

But you are the one who is trying to change what the pledges are with semantics, not them. They are very, very clear what they are as I've linked before.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I understand that you are passionate. :) I am also, and we have different ways of expression, as do many people on these forums.

12. Drocis the Devious

You're completely wrong, imo.

13. Drocis the Devious

More semantics.

You've mentioned it many times and you've been wrong many times. The people that pay $45 for Episode I expect to get Episode I. It's a product...Case closed.

E n v y likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

They get back a better game.

You're making it sound like a rent free plot or a unique hued horse is important, when its only important as much as the game is worth playing... And if you want to deal with the issue of selling rares, and getting money back off of them, your rares will be worth more the more people are playing the game, and the better the game is, the more people will be playing.

Well, people support museums, libraries, parks, colleges, and other things that may have some way of earning money but only a limited amount, but serve everyone's enjoyment. They don't help homeless people or treat cancer patients or give relief to war refugees, but people find them worth contributing to. Depends entirely on how people want to see the project.

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would suggest that perhaps the common misunderstanding is that some people have transferred hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollar to Portalarium. This has not been done out of ''good will', players haven't sent over $2000 and then gone 'yippee I'm going to be gifted a Cross-Road Village......BONUS!!!!'.

I would say your outlook is very very different from my own......I wish you well.

16. silencer

silencer Avatar

Yes. On your part.

No. People who pay for ep 1 when it is released do that. At this stage you are donating for development of Ep 1, with access to it as an incentive.

I can see we aren't getting anywhere, so I'll just let this go unless something new shows up in this thread.

Drocis Fondorlatos likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

:) Agreed.

If the product is just "early access" it's still a product. Why the devs use the word "pledge" is probably between them and their legal counsel. Whatever, it's fine with me. That doesn't change the expectations of the people that give them money though.

I'm all for being a cheerleader and trying to stay positive. But it doesn't help the game to defend bad practices to the hilt, especially when they're not even producing good results (i.e. stretch goal store).

Keira OFaolain and E n v y like this.
  18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Drocis, being that the stretch goals are in place, and we have donated, what do you suggest we do now to help them? Do you have a solution to improve them?

19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I don't believe they can do much with them. If the intent was for them to stand a chance in Episode 1 they shouldn't have released so many.

If I wanted to bring them to the forefront again, I would do the following.

1 - Make an announcement that on 'x' date, the most popular/backed stretch goal will be completed for episode 1 (regardless).

2 - The only players who can use that stretch goal in Episode 1 are those who have backed it (account linked).

3 - Episode 2 all players will be able to use that particular stretch goal.

20. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

*stomps feet*

I want my HORSEY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.