The Glass is Half Empty - A look inside why people are opposed to Open PvP and Full Loot

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by antalicus, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Obviously that open system is flawed and not what I would want. I would expect the developers to iron all that out. I don't want a system where evil players have an advantage and can work the system in their advantage. Perhaps comparing the game to the real world is a bit broad but essentially what im saying is that for the most part you think before you commit a crime and crimes come with punishments that far out weigh the reward.

2. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Is there any reason that the slider can't address your needs? I find myself in a minority position, having interests in RPing, PKing, and dragon slaying, and I feel that, unless nobody else in the PvP slider RPs, I'll be taken good care of.

Margard likes this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

Actually, I think a 'slider' is too limiting, since it presumes a linear continuum, when I think it's more complex than that. I would think a series of switches, where you can select a combination of elements might be a better control interface.

AuroraWR likes this.
  4. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Except that it's a GAME. So any consequence that really functions as a punishment had better be intended to lose player base, since that's what it will accomplish. Nobody wants to be thrown in jail for their crimes. Nobody wants to be fined monetary damages to pay for what they broke.

Whereas the slider system will allow those who don't want to be victims of PKs to just "turn them off" with a menu setting, and get on with all the parts of the game that they do enjoy. Those who DO want to live dangerously, or actively hunt other players for whatever reason, may do so, and any player who wants to "live like the other half" for a while can do so almost at will.

5. Ara

Ara Avatar

Since you mention numbers i can assure you that they are no extreme minority but many of them will never play SOTA cause the game wont cater their gamestyle.

They arent on these forums.

And if magic will become a magic the gathering game with random cards popping up on screen for your choice i can assure you just about all competitive PvP players will look for another game.

vjek likes this.
  6. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Do tell.

7. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

I'm on your side of the argument, but I don't like your method of arguing. The above question seems pointless to me.

The people you're talking to don't make SotA, and honestly even if everyone in this thread suddenly agreed with you it wouldn't influence the design of SotA. So where does this question lead to? Trollville or Frustration Town?

Arkhan likes this.
  8. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

That's certainly not true. I've spent some of my best gaming moments in the bottom of a dungeon, locked away waiting to get free. To each their own.

I think that's the right decision for games today. But changing the slider should require 24 hour notice (it's important to understand what notice means really know what I'm saying here).

9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

You've spent some of your greatest moments serving a three month sentence in a five by eight cell with no plot points, no NPC's, nothing to do and no way out? Cause the point I am making is that REAL punishments aren't like video game prisons, you don't get sucked into a special subplot game with edge of your seat action and a complex hierarchy of prison thugs. You get left sitting around for weeks and months and years growing out your toenails.

Ok, so what are you really saying here? A 24 hour delay between adjusting the slider and it producing results? Do tell.

hanskrsg likes this.
  10. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

What's comical is wanting "real world" mechanics, excluding ones that involve a punishment. So the only real world aspect that seems to be wanted is the one where "I can walk over there and stab that guy to death!".

The reason Open PVP is hosed is because it doesn't fit into the design of the game. It's not that people don't like it, or that they don't want it ever,

it's that they don't want it for this, because it's not what they signed up for.

Pretty sure we all signed up for a throwback to Ultima, complete with epic story driven adventures.

hanskrsg, vjek and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  11. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I don't have much of an issue with a 24 hours delay between changing the PvP "slider" and it taking effect, but I do believe the end result of that would be mostly preventing people that would otherwise be willing to give PvP a chance from actually trying it, which I believe is the exact opposite of what you want.

12. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

I'd agree with Strider here. Think of it this way...

You are a hard working a PvE or a non-PvP RP type player and get a much deserved day of in which you can finally spend some time playing your new favorite game, SoTA. You've heard about PvP and have avoided it in the past due to fear of skill/stat/gear loss (depending on how the PK/PvP/Loot system is designed), but have heard some good things too and decide to give it a try. You go in and realize you HATE it and want to switch back so you can go back to enjoying the game on your day off, however there is a 24 hour timer. Your game playing for the day is now shot because you either have to continue being frustrated with the game play you've discovered you don't like OR you just log out for 24 hours till you can get back into the parts of th game you enjoy. (Maybe you can switch to offline, but if you're an RP type you might as well log off becuase you're not playing SoTA to play alone.)

Most people will realize the risk of possibly losing your enjoyment from the game for a whole 24 hours and will decide it's not worth it.

Now, this is not to say they couldn't give it a try and LOVE PvP! That would be great! However, if they haven't tried PvP yet, chances are having extra possible consequences (24 hour timer) is going to make it less appealing.

My 2 cents.

13. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I can't lump all of the moderators into the same category, but the majority of the reason this happens is because this forum is suffering from a lack of moderators who focus on moderating the forum. Obvious lack of moderation is obvious. I mean this one even violates the guidelines on several fronts, moderators you can review FireLotus' post here for more information and maybe it will help you in your lack of moderation a little bit: https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/29739/

I am one of those raving mad man children who like dog eat dog pvp I suppose. What I don't do is jump on the forum and tell people if they can't handle PvP they should go back and play single player. Way to go Antlickus.

God and Margard like this.
  14. vjek

vjek Avatar

Yep, mode jumping is going to be pretty much instant, with all the consequences that entails. In particular, preventing a customer from switching between SPO (single player online) , FPO (friends play online), and OPO (open play online) would break a publicly stated Kickstarter feature.

From here:

Margard, Umbrae and Owain like this.
  15. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Of course, this does mean that players have to reach a safe place where switching is allowed, such as a city or overland map, in order to change modes. Which means that changing modes will be mostly useless as a way to escape fights you can already see coming - you have to first escape the fight some other way to only then change modes.

Anyway, IMHO what makes more sense for the restrictions on changing between PvP and PvE is to use the same restrictions that will be already in place for changing multiplayer modes. Both for consistency, and because changing multiplayer modes already has leaving PvP behind as a side effect.

inactive, Margard, skinned and 2 others like this.
  16. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The switching as described in the Kickstarter will be fine. Users that abuse these types of things will just logoff, so any restriction will just punish those people leaving Open World or PVP mode to play Friends Mode with their kids/wife/friends.

It might make people mad that they cannot relentlessly hunt people down, but one can argue that might be equally abusive as killing someone and switching modes.

skinned and vjek like this.
  17. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Sorry if you don't approve of the way I tell it. In the words of Mitch Hedberg, "you can't please all the people all the time"... and right now all those people have replied to this post.

18. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Some of us have just been watching it.

MalakBrightpalm, Margard and hanskrsg like this.
  19. minorthreat55

minorthreat55 Avatar

This game should definitely have open PvP and full loot, otherwise I'll probably turn an eye against the game. And not because I want to PK or grief players, but the options MUST be available for the game to have that genuine feel that no other game since pre-trammel UO could capture.

/endthread

jondavis likes this.
  20. vjek

vjek Avatar

If you haven't read this before, it may be worth a moment to consider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.