1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of Bloodriver Outskirts

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by SorcerousSteve, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SorcerousSteve

SorcerousSteve Developer Emeritus

Hey guys, SorcerousSteve here once again to give you a sneak peak of Bloodriver Outskirts!

Tucked away in the dense forest elven survivors from the recent Bloodriver Massacre have sought refuge and built a camp atop a woodland plateau. In order to protect themselves from the humans who pursue them they have chosen this reclusive spot and have booby-trapped the surrounding area!

Elven Camp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bloodriver as it cuts through the dense forest.
    [​IMG]

Vigilante Camps
    Scattered throughout the scene are these camps led by humans to capture and kill elves. Pictured below are pens, and cages meant to hold the elven captives, truly a grim sight.
    [​IMG]

Traps
    Some new traps will make their way into Bloodriver Outskirts like this "Indiana Jones" inspired rolling boulder trap. Run!
    [​IMG]
    See you next time!

Esteben Zaldivar
    Level Designer

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

ZOMG yes x100! So cool

Stahlknecht, Acred and SorcerousSteve like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Looking great! I do wonder what the new players will expect here; on one side, they will probably want to help the elves but I wouldn't expect them to be willing to allow humans in their camp. Hunting the humans who are looking for elves also seems wrong, but is it possible to get them to back off?

This could be an intriguing scene, and set up a huge amount of story moving forward.

Stahlknecht, Acred and SorcerousSteve like this.
  4. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

The "kill bad humans" is a very good remark.

It would be nice if there are encounters that trigger different behavior from the Elves.
    In some releases there was (is?) an elvish child in the blood river map and perhaps your behavior towards it will influence how welcome you are among the survivors.
    Also you could gain trust by doing chores, scaring off wild animal or rescuing some good folks (through talking!!! Humans out of their behavior).
    Perhaps there are also human guards that investigate and can be supported by providing proof of individuals' crimes.
    All good opportunities to introduce the virtues and differentiate the game from the usual kill-evil-be-good.

Acred likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It looks great so far. The only thing I see is that the stonework is usual. If there is anyway to disguise it and the assets/stonework around the area to look a bit different that would help so much to make the scene look special. A little different color or something that sets it apart from so much same old same old we have in this game. I hate walking into a scene and seeing the same stonework every time or many times, same forest etc. It has gotten so much better but still we don't need it so repetitive. ;) Otherwise thanks so much I love where you are going with the area.;)

licemeat likes this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

These look really nice. That last shot with the rolling ball should be interesting to see in game.

7. SorcerousSteve

Hey guys! SorcerousSteve here to give you an update on Bloodriver Outskirts!

Nestled deep in the forest a group of survivors from the Bloodriver Massacre has sought refuge. To defend themselves against the human vigilantes that hunt them they have booby trapped areas surrounding their forest hideout. Below, a swinging log trap, one of the many traps in the arsenal of the Bloodriver survivors.
    [​IMG]

The dank forest environment provides a great place for flora to thrive.
    [​IMG]

The forest is filled with mysterious caves from spider lairs to even a rumored psilocybia den.
    [​IMG]

This camp on the western side of the map belongs to Aerie soldiers investigating reports of trouble in the area. Far off in the distance you can spot a temple pyramid hidden among the dense forest. More on that on a future update!
    [​IMG]

A low lying mist fills the lowlands of the Bloodriver Forest during sunset.
    [​IMG]

To the north a group of Vertas elves is investigating the recent attacks and ongoing hunts by vigilante squads against the Bloodriver survivors.
    [​IMG]

See you next time!
    Esteben Zaldivar

8. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

this!

nevertheless, great job Esteben and thx for sharing it to us!

majoria70 likes this.
  9. SorcerousSteve

Thanks for the comments guys! I hope you guys are looking forward to the scene!

I'll see how I can spice up the stonework, cause we are always thinking of ways to spice things up!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I got a comment from a new person, all scenes look the same, which of course is not quite true, but too many do. I know we are trying to get done and get done on a budget but it would be great if Unity had a 'theme' setting that would run through and magically color the scene to look different. ;)
    Thanks so much. I appreciate the work you do. Some comments I hear from new people are that many scenes look so much a like. Re-using assets without tweaking them is causing it. Adding the usual assets into a scene even though their order may play out doesn't do it for making the scene look different. The same types of trees, foliage, assets, and paving around the area keep it looking like other areas. I'm sorry, I am supportive of the hard work all of you do, but my heart says to be honest about this. Thank you for your comment and all your hard work. :)

11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Yet again, you've created scenes that I had to do a double take on... thought I was looking at photographs of real places at first.

Well done!

SorcerousSteve and majoria70 like this.
  12. SorcerousSteve

Hey guys! SorcerousSteve here to give you another update on Bloodriver Outskirts!
    As the map approaches its polish phase I'll be preparing for spawning!

The Bloodriver as it flows through the Bloodriver Forest.
    [​IMG]

An ancient abandoned temple Pyramid deep within the forest.
    [​IMG]

Waterfalls dot the lush cliff forested region.
    [​IMG]

Forest Spider Lair.
    [​IMG]

A free-soul nature loving automaton has chosen to make his home in this abandoned cave of the Bloodriver Forest.
    [​IMG]

A road heading North cuts through a forest clearing where the dense vegetation gives way to a patch of dead trees.
    [​IMG]

Esteben Zaldivar
    Level Designer

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

And for a little icing on the cake...

Elwyn, Alana Baran, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

How about more dead trees than alive trees for this scene or all dead trees and snakes maybe. It is blood river after all. It looks too green ;) Well my recent thoughts on it :)

@SorcerousSteve

15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The aged step pyramid is an interesting addition here. Could a Mayan/Inca/Aztec culture be out there in SOTA too?

Alana Baran likes this.
  16. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

Saosis and Alana Baran like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hope we can harvest all the mushrooms in the future ;) Then re-plant them in our basements maybe...

I like the morning mist, it looks like it will add nice atmosphere to the scene. I'm wondering what type of reagents we might find in the Bloodriver Forest and whether they'll be more abundant when the mist is hanging over the area.

majoria70 likes this.
  18. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I really like some of the ancient ruins being added to many of the scenes. That abandoned temple reminds me of Chichen Itza in the Yucatan peninsula.

craftymethod likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.