The Truth, the whole Truth and nothing but the TRUTH (Virtue Discussion)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glantor Edge, Sep 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

I guess a reply from Darkstarr is just as good
    • will we be able to reset our virtue truth etc STARR: It might be possibly linked to when we let you reset your story flags to replay the story when we do commercial launch
    From his latest Q&A session. Can't wait for commercial launch!

2. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

I was wondering why my truth was down as well when i found this thread.

Best i can guess, i spoke to someone who said to me... "Hello Job" And i am wondering how many times i have given the word name, job health, rumor, or help to an NPC who was asking my name.

I hope that as i go around and notice the errors as i play and correct the NPCs i will get the truth points back.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to have these specific words not trigger a lie result, or to have them make the NPC reply, "Are you listening to me?" or something rather than take them as your name.

Time Lord, Fister Magee and Epiphany like this.
  3. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

Yes, it would be good if NPCs are smart enough to tell when you are obviously giving the wrong name.

Alternatively, perhaps the "innocent" NPC can indeed take whatever you say as your name, but the Oracle can give a visual or audio cue to tell you whenever your response leads to a drop in your virtues. This would have saved a LOT of people a lot of grief after discovering their negative virtue numbers resulting from simple actions such as looting openly in the Tutorial area, killing fauns or giving NPCs the wrong name.

smack and Time Lord like this.
  4. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Glad to hear it.

smack, Time Lord and Tibs like this.
  5. KnownInGameAsGeorge

I also like the idea of a gentle warning before you take a virtue lowering action.

For instance, I was also not aware killing a faun gave a negative. I am not sure what virtue it would even effect.
    I am aware they say they are talking about being against violence, but they are the biggest threat in a group of enemies that are trying to kill me. If they were taking wounded off the field and doing medical aid, I am OK with doing everything I can to avoid them. These fauns give military assistance, it doesnt matter how much they are unhappy about it or how unhappy I am to have to kill them but the moral blame is upon the ones forcing them into military service, not myself.

Sher, Time Lord, Acred and 1 other person like this.
  6. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

Killing Fauns lower your Courage virtue by about 5. I can see the reasoning as they are not actually doing damage to your avatar. But yes, you are right to say they do give substantial assistance like healing, root and confusion which could lead you to your death easily. Plus, this particular faun I killed was already liberated from his master, but decided to follow me all the way down to the lower levels of Elysium where it helped Earth elementals by continuing to confuse and root me. Of course I had to kill it.

It could be a bug though, the fauns should, by right, stop casting spells at you after the master has been slain. Who knows? :rolleyes:

Time Lord, Acred, Alexander and 2 others like this.
  7. KnownInGameAsGeorge

That I like a lot. If I killed their master one time and a faun thanked me and steped away, I would probably never kill a faun again. Every time you didnt kill one, it should give one love virtue point increase.
    He could even start attacking me again after his boss respawned, he would have to, and I wouldnt be all that bothered because I would just kill his boss again. Sometimes they run away and I dont chase, but not really often enough. Like you say though, maybe Iit is just not working as well as it could, maybe will be worked on some time and made more complete.

8. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

And this is my issue with fauns. Not only do they give back up to the Satyr, but they are also the aggressors in the fight. Even after the Satyr is dead, they still continue with their arsenal of spells until you are forced to kill them. My solution would be to put a focus cap on fauns so that they ultimately drain their resources. Or another option is to have them run out of reagents so that they can no longer cast. Then, I would be more than happy to leave them alone.

9. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I've never seen the fauns stop attacking after their satyr master was killed, but this would be a good solution. If they stopped attacking after the satyr was killed, I wouldn't be forced to kill the faun.

Time Lord, Acred and Glantor Edge like this.
  10. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I thought the same! Then, one day, i seathed my weapon after killing the satyr. The fauns went automatically mellow.

Now, pray that there's not another satyr around the corner! :D

11. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I've tried that too, but I've always had them still hit me with confusion or root.

Time Lord, Acred and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  12. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I wondered where all my Courage was coming from. Thanks !

Time Lord, Acred and Glantor Edge like this.
  13. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

It would be a simple fix to add a line of code, where the Faun will sense if a Slaver is nearby. If none, stop casting.

I will feedback this in the R33 feedback channel. Thank you for the idea, I will mention it was from you. :)

Time Lord, Alexander and Acred like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    ~"The Truth? The Whole Bloody Truth of Thy Own Self?"~
    ~*God has given you one face and you make yourselves another*~
    ~"Fashion a Fool's Face into a Fool and You Have Nothing Left But a Fool"~

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ~"Equate that "Virtue" into a Number"~
    ~Marry Your Numbers, I shall Have None~

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Snazz, Tibs, KuBaTRiZeS and 1 other person like this.
  15. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

my truth just went down from -229 to -236 after I took a weapon from an NPC weapon's merchant display... T_T

Alexander, Tibs and Time Lord like this.
  16. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

Where was this weapon? Was it out in the open like Soltown? Or inside a house?

If it was inside a house, I believe newer towns that were just refreshed such as Spite have already implemented "Truth sinks". One of my guild members was shouted at by the Blacksmith at Spite. Yes, her Truth went down, sadly.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

At the Combat Skills Trainer. I thought the robot wouldn't mind since he is a robot. LOL!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

I see, yes, it has been observed that lifting stuff out in the open will definitely impact your Truth, regardless of whether it's in an Adventure or NPC Town. The exception are Thug camps, Kobold, Satyr and Elven camps, towns or villages, where lifting stuff doesn't affect Truth.

It was observed that Truth didn't take a hit when lifting inside NPC houses in human towns and villages. Unfortunately (or fortunately for role play), the NPCs are now starting to react by shouting at Avatars that wantonly grab any stuff inside the houses. This has been observed in newly refresh towns like Spite. I am guessing that ALL towns will implement this soon. Our free decor days are numbered (okay, you can still lift if you don't mind taking a hit to your Truth virtue, so technically still "free").

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't care what my truth virtue is at. I will loot in the starting towns regardless wjat the number says. Dead people cannot come back to life and use the money and even the miracle worker frothe Princess Bride says if they are all dead all you can do is look through their pockets for loose change.

What really counts to me is being kind to people, and honest in dealings with them not taking advantage by cheeting them out of what is owed, and being brave enough to stand up to those who prey upon the weak.

Taking coins off a dead man is nothing to me and a virtue point is of zero value to me as well. I would like to see what the oracle says about me and after it passes judgment I'll still not get my self worth from a trashcan with a human head.

Sher and Time Lord like this.
  20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I've never really understood why there is this link between 'truth' and 'theft'.
    I'm not being dishonest or untrue about anything. I'm being a filthy thief, but I don't really see that as the opposite of 'truth'. I would have thought that this blatant disregard for other people's property would more appropriately affect the love or courage stats.

Unfortunately, none of this is really well documented or outlined and the oracle is extremely vague. What raises/lowers each virtue? How can you tell until you've already done it?
    I'm a decorator & a lot of the props can't be crafted or bought, so what choice have you got...

Above its been indicated that killing Fauns lowers Courage. Courage is my *highest* virtue and I massacre fauns on a regular basis - they are rooting/confusing me and healing satyrs who are beating on me, so sorry, they have to die. You can't even walk off and leave them half the time due to their debuffs. If they run away fine -most of the time they don't or you can't kill their satyr friends without taking them out of play first. Basically the only way to do this is to avoid satyr/faun fights completely which certainly doesn't seem Courageous at all.

I love the idea of the virtue system but the slipshod way in which its implemented with things affecting them that make no sense is kind of annoying. I really hope this gets addressed before the virtues have any real effect on your gameplay.

Also some tips on how to actually raise truth?
    I know how to obliterate it - my truth value is negative 2241. I've never really been dishonest and I'm a straightforward sort in all the quests I've done, even started on path of truth (mage). Don't really see any ways to bring the stat up though, although there are plenty of random/nonsensical ways to destroy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.