Things you DON'T want in Shroud of the Avatar or want improved

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toxic_Knight, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monxter

monxter Avatar

Yeah in testing a European longsword had no difference basically, in comparison with the katana. They'll cut through a limb with similar ease, only the fighting style is remarkably different.

To get back to the topic, I don't think there should be an all-around best weapon of each class but different weapons suitable for different styles of play. I wouldn't miss katanas if we didn't have them :) They are nice swords but they need to fit in the world.

2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I don't want people to hide from their forum identities. RG/LB wants full accountability in "his" game and I think it should start here.

3. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

One character slot sounds almost absurd as allowing an infinite amount of purchasable plots. I just hope donald trump doesnt hear about this game. I actively avoid telling people about this game so theres less competition for housing and i doubt thats the intended consequnce

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I also actively avoid telling people about this game...but for other reasons.;)

5. Veylen The AenigmA

Care to share if yu dont mind me asking unless its personal.

6. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I am only telling close friends who I already enjoy gaming with. Most are skeptical but some are quite interested... they just dont want to spend $ until launch or closer to launch. :)

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I would like to see Katanas only if there is a cultural reason for such a sword. The fact they have long swords and broad swords, and various other "European" weapons is because some how that culture exists in New Britannia. So why is it unthinkable that Asian cultures (and their technology) could also be represented in New Britannia at some point?

mmjarec likes this.
  8. Veylen The AenigmA

Ive heard on this forum unity isnt a triple A engine. How is this so? I really hope it doesnt go down the path of star wars the old republic online as they chose an outdated engine that was horrible for multiplayer so EA could save a few licensing bucks and it is the main reason that game is trash technologically. It was outdated before it even came out

9. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Want I don't want to see is any substantial amount of content which is devoted to "story" or single-use areas. This also applies for time the Dev's will spend making the game.

Level-capped areas I don't really want to see. Several Ultimas are the best examples of how to make the world seem non-level capped but let the player freely roam and also invite more dangerous dungeon exploration. Eg. In Ultima 4 there is the main world and areas around the moon gates (large portion of the game) and also areas via coastal ships -> next dangerous areas is the Open Seas and all the Dungeons, then next is the endgame area around and in the Abyss. In that example there is a majority of content which is available to explore right of the start of the game and that is really good and make the world feel full and not segregated while still offing plenty of dangerous areas to explore in any order the player wishes to.

Empty instances void of other players where it matters. City centers, outside towns, exploring and wandering. All the main areas that are available right of the start of the game.

NPC's population that doesn't feel natural or alive. No day night cycles or NPC lives. NPC says the same things all the time.

Redundant Merchants and items- having 10,000 items for sale that will not be viable once the player is 20 hours into the game is just plain dumb.

Mid-level content and End content which is strings the player in linear fashion (eg complete dungeon 1, then dungeon 2, etc..) In my view content should be divided more like Low/Mid/High (see my U4 example).

Too many players or too many player houses in one areas. I think the nature of Sota will mostly likely not allow some of the things which I disliked in UO (houses everywhere).

10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I don't mind at all, comrade.

There is no equality, which is fine for the rich.
    Most are cast into the streets as homeless vagabonds, while the fortunate dine on boiled goose.

*As for the back story of being drawn from this world into a magical kingdom (every sci-fi and fantasy fan's dream) how is it that some are given palaces and most thrown into the streets to live off the refuse and "generosity" of their betters?
    Most of us are better off just staying here...at least we can live indoors...

wagram and mmjarec like this.
  11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

SWtOR is awesome, comrade.
    Everyone is an equal...everyone gets a space-ship.

And as far as Unity being Triple A, you can do a lot with it and do a lot of different things, but that doesn't mean every game made with it is AAA. Some Unity games are real good and some real bad...it's also free for game designers to use (atleast the basic form as far as I know, you might be able to pay for an updated or advanced version).
    And that doesn't mean this game will be good or bad because of Unity.

licemeat and mmjarec like this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Unity is not yet as capable in terms of whiz bang rendering tech but it's improving every year. Having said that, the engine is a tool and is only as good as those using it. There are some absolutely gorgeous Unity games just as there are some pretty crappy CryEngine or Unreal Engine games built for the lowest common denominator (last-gen consoles).

Here's a 3-part interview with the Unity CEO where they talk about AAA.
    http://gameindustry.about.com/od/tr...id-Helgason-CEO-Unity-Technologies-Part-1.htm

13. Veylen The AenigmA

So unity just sucks at rendering fancy new gfx techniques? I can deal with that im not a 12 year old who thinks gfx trump all. As far as swtor goes the game itself is good but their engine sucks they really coded themselves into a corner and they keep making excuses as to why they cant upgrade certain things instead of telling the customers their engine cant handle it they just tell a bunch of white lies or try to pass the buck

One thing that is my pet peeve is when game companies make promises and never deliver and then dont take their rightful blame when it comes time to pay the piper. Ever since eq i can remeber being constantly lied to.

I remember in warhammer mark jacobs wouldt even admit they were using the outdated daoc engine which had the same bugs and glitches as daoc then i cornered him on the forums and presented undeniable evidence and he finally admitted infact they were using the daoc engine for warhammer which was good in its day but for warhammer was just outdated and really quirk prone. just getting him to admit an obvious truth was an uphill battle that felt like a momentus victory when he gave in but it shouldnt come to that. Needless to say shortly after i cornered him i cancelled my account.

In the process of getting him to admit it i ended up having to create six new IGN accounts due to previous bans

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Unity will continue to evolve. The engine they use today seems to be more than satisfactory to create SotA. It's helping them do everything they need on such a small budget. After they finish episode 5 they might switch to something new or they might upgrade to a newer version of Unity and continue with it. (that's if they plan on making more stories in this land which I hope they do). Lord British said at one of those conventions he spoke at that he's up for another 10 years at least... or something to that effect.

mmjarec likes this.
  15. Veylen The AenigmA

Well as long as its versatile and upgradable those are the biggest concerns for any mmo engine. Do you know how upgradeable it is? Im on the bandwagon as far as not caring about graphics but i would like to still see gfx evovle with new technology i mean when i went to school they were teaching HDRI as the next big thing in gfx production and im still ashamed when i see it not being used or implimented on engines that are capable and have been out a while judt because the company has inept API programmers or w/e it is

Oh yeah and this was 2008 prior to graduation when i took this class so its now not a new technology we studied gears of war as a case study example of it being done well

Do we know if theyve released any info about wjat kind of gfx candy we can expect? Whatever it is i dont think its unreasonable to expect them to keep it out of the game unless its efficietly optimized or at least toggleable in the settings

16. Kato2

Kato2 Avatar

I think that if there was some differentiation between online capable characters, and purely single player characters, it might help those that want to experience the story from different angles (through having multiple characters). I.E. perhaps you could have one "online" character that is walled off from all your other (offline, single player) characters. Thus, when you are in the persistent multiplayer world your actions have lasting consequences, and you can't be all things at all times. But, if you wanted to roll multiple alts for offline shenanigans, that would be fine. You could be expert at everything, leader of everything, hero of everything, slayed every dragon, led every NPC faction, etc etc etc... but only offline, in your own little world.

Thoughts?

Golem Dragon likes this.
  17. monxter

monxter Avatar

Aye, there will be a separate offline mode where you can't go online at all. I think it'll be useful to try out things you aren't focusing online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.